Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:53 AM

4 posts, read 6,368 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Minnesota for the first time this year, and are considering a move there from Europe. We're a 2-income (engineer & writer), middle class household with a child in middle school.

We would prefer some ethnic diversity for our half-Hispanic child. Are there areas that may fit this, and that have some walkability as well?

We've been able to live in cities where we could walk to grocery stores and restaurants, and are wondering about Minneapolis/St. Paul and if there are specific areas that might fit this criteria, with good academic schools?

We're also hoping to live in an area with a nice sense of community. If walkable isn't feasible, we're hoping for an area where we can safely bike, or at least enjoy some nice views.

Just looking for some ideas as to where we should start our search and what might be possible. Sorry these questions are so broad, but I've found this board to be very helpful, and hoped we could get a point in the right direction here.

I should mention, our price range is around 300K.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nueces_78; 07-17-2016 at 01:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 06:22 AM

106 posts, read 161,390 times
At that price range, I would look in Hopkins, St. Louis Park, and Golden Valley.

Minneapolis in the area near Lake Nokomis may also do the trick.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:47 AM

256 posts, read 287,131 times
If you get pretty lucky, you might find a house on the periphery of Linden Hills (SW area, near Lake Calhoun) for around $300k; most of them are above this, though. But that area is tops on the list as far as being walkable, as it has an almost village kind of vibe. But best yet (for me), it's an actual neighborhood with mature trees and rectilinear streets, nothing like the sprawly suburbia you'll find in other areas of the metro area.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:13 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursicinus View Post
If you get pretty lucky, you might find a house on the periphery of Linden Hills (SW area, near Lake Calhoun) for around $300k; most of them are above this, though. But that area is tops on the list as far as being walkable, as it has an almost village kind of vibe. But best yet (for me), it's an actual neighborhood with mature trees and rectilinear streets, nothing like the sprawly suburbia you'll find in other areas of the metro area.
I agree with the Southwest Minneapolis suggestion. Although you'd be below the amount needed for Linden Hills, I just confirmed that there are homes available right now in other very good SW Mpls neighborhoods, including Fulton, Armitage, Kenny, Windom and King Field. I think those areas would meet your criteria.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:55 AM

182 posts, read 197,421 times
Mac/Groveland in Saint Paul.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:24 PM

Thank you! And these are academically strong school districts? Great schools isn't showing particularly high ratings, but I understand this may not be 100% accurate.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:18 PM

136 posts, read 327,732 times
The schools in Mpls and St. Paul are fair overall. I can speak a bit to the Mac Groveland area of St. Paul. I live in this neighborhood, but use private schools. The elementary schools are generally very good, but you are not guaranteed a spot and they only go to 5th grade. The middle schools are fair to poor. The high schools are fair. Mpls/St. Paul schools have their share of very challenging issues. I have lived in Linden Hills in Minneapolis, and the neighborhood is very walkable and quite lovely, with Lake Harriet right there and the wonderful "downtown". The airplane noise is noticeable. I don't know about the public schools, but there are plenty of private schools near by.

Unfortunately there aren't many (any?) walkable areas with really good schools. The Twin Cities is a very new area, relatively speaking, and it is also quite flat all around it. There generally aren't geographic demarcations for neighborhoods or towns in the suburbs (I would say that the area around Lake Minnetonka is an exception), and most areas are very broad and sprawling. The Twin Cities is very car-centric.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:21 PM

Thanks, Family of five. If walkable isn't possible, great schools are still #1 for us. What are the areas best public middle and high schools? Not charter, not waiting listed, we're not that organized. Just some great local districts. Our budget can go up to 400K for the right house and area. Just want to stay on the safe side in case we have trouble finding work.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:51 AM

106 posts, read 161,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nueces_78 View Post
Thanks, Family of five. If walkable isn't possible, great schools are still #1 for us. What are the areas best public middle and high schools? Not charter, not waiting listed, we're not that organized. Just some great local districts. Our budget can go up to 400K for the right house and area. Just want to stay on the safe side in case we have trouble finding work.
I think you'll need to get more specific about what is meant by "great schools."

Some districts are known for winning all the time in athletics, others will have more impressive college outcomes (definied as prestigious, out-of-region colleges) some might be better for learning disability programs. Depends on where one rates "diversity" as either a source of strength or concern.

I personally look at Orono as one of the most appealing school districts, because the academic environment is solid and student enrollment is much, much smaller than its western suburb neighbors (950 enrolled at Orono HS, compared to 3,000+ students at Wayzata HS). Others might counter that the Orono community is more snooty and too rural and they'd prefer St. Louis Park, which is more diverse but still a bit smaller of a school (for example).

Old 07-18-2016, 06:17 AM

256 posts, read 287,131 times
As far as walkability goes, I'd counter that the cities themselves (Minneapolis and St. Paul) are quite walkable, and are one of the great bicycling areas in the entire country. I actually know a few people who actually commute between the two cities by bike for work. But the thing is, the areas are so big that there are tons of separate neighborhoods that can be quite far from each other by foot, and as someone mentioned above, they don't usually have any clear geographic boundaries. Some of them (I am recently learning) have nice "downtowns" ala Linden Hills, but most seem to moreso be collections of houses with some businesses along the main streets on their peripheries. This isn't necessarily a hard and fast rule, but you get the idea.

As far as schools, it seems that the Mpls/StP are kind of hit and miss. Demographic shifts (including tax base dwindling as wealthier families move to the suburbs) combined with open-enrollment have led to the decline of a lot of schools. Charters and privates are a good option as there are tons of great examples of both, but the former require you to be on a waiting list, and the latter are pretty expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul