Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which weather station best represents Minneapolis for temperature reading?
RBC Plaza Minneapolis 0 0%
Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport 6 66.67%
Other (please specify) 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 05:51 PM

125 posts, read 173,774 times

Advertisements

Which weather station do you think best represents Minneapolis for temperature reading?

RBC Plaza Minneapolis
Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport

The default for Minneapolis on Wunderground app is RBC Plaza Minneapolis weather station but I think there is a strong Urban Heat Island effect there. Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport is kind of far to fairly depict Minneapolis in my opinion.

Which out of these two would you choose to best represent Minneapolis temperatures? If you know some other weather stations that you think represent Minneapolis temperatures better, please suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 07:59 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times
If you're looking for a representation of temperature without the urban heat island, I would say the NWS readings in Chanhassen would probably be your best bet. Even the MSP Airport reading seems to be affected by the heat island. It is in the 494-694 look and is usually a few degrees warmer than the outlying burbs.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:55 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
The airport never seems to get same snowfall amounts. I'll be plowing 8 inches in Mpls and the airport will report 2 inches, so with it being some official place, the storm will go down as 2 inches.

Old 01-29-2023, 08:58 PM

115 posts, read 80,700 times
Agrée

Old 01-29-2023, 10:23 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Wunderground is not very reliable and likes to use UHI readings and averages for some cities. Not high on my list.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Wunderground is not very reliable and likes to use UHI readings and averages for some cities. Not high on my list.
true

Old 03-11-2023, 05:06 AM

NOAA site is what every city uses for reporting weather, thus snowfall predicting and plowing they’ll do. Makes sense for a city government to use a government weather site.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:25 AM

983 posts, read 514,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I found this thread searching for "Wunderground". (I don't live in Minneapolis.)

I have to disagree on Wunderground. Since it is a PWS network, one can find a station near the location one is interested in, and after vetting the PWS model and history, use that as the app default on device or PC. I get very accurate, local weather info at my home, including heat index. I have connected my app to a very highly rated PWS made by Ambient Weather, a model WS-2902c.

Caveat, one thing folks in Minnesota are interested in is snow fall, which most of these PWS units do not measure well.

Last edited by AZ Desert Guy; 03-12-2023 at 11:20 AM..

Old 03-14-2023, 06:47 AM

My job relies on the weather, I use NOAA, Wundergroud, weather.com, MyRadar app, and johndee for snow estimates. I really couldn’t tell you which is the best. The thing with snowfall estimates now is it’s the amount is what falls on snow or ice, not what sticks to bare pavement. A rain snow event is coming Thursday into Friday. Also rain and snow storms often follow around 7 day patterns. Last weekend it snowed Saturday, this weekend Thursday/Friday, and outlook is another one next week Thursday-Saturday.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:28 AM

Is there a weather station at RBC Plaza? or not? in the city of Minneapolis.

Please and thank you, and don't forget to include a link to the website so I can investigate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul