Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:59 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times

Advertisements

Generally speaking I agree with Glenfield's logic while driving within the 694/494 loop and especially when there is heavy traffic. However, I do think the slow traffic keep right logic is more relevant while using the interstate freeways outside of the Twin Cities metro area. I think for the most part people "get it" but there are always a few people who drive slow in the left lane and cause headaches for others as it mucks up the flow of traffic.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 09-07-2016 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 10:28 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Generally speaking I agree with Glenfield's logic while driving within the 694/494 loop and especially when there is heavy traffic. However, I do think the slow traffic keep right logic is more relevant while using the interstate freeways outside of the Twin Cities metro area. I think for the most part people "get it" but there are always a few people who drive slow in the left lane and cause headaches for others as it mucks up the flow of traffic.
We are in complete agreement.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:01 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Agreed.

The challenge with this topic is people either confuse or deliberately conflate very different driving scenarios.

It's a given that everyone hates the asleep-at-the-wheel driver in the left hand lane. However, the rush hour tailgater who attempts to bully their way through traffic, when the roads are clearly at capacity, is not only equally hated, but actually more dangerous.

Last edited by Good Red Road; 09-07-2016 at 01:11 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 04:09 PM

256 posts, read 287,086 times
I think what we are disagreeing on, really, is what "asleep at the wheel driver in the left lane" actually means. I'd argue it includes everyone driving exactly the speed limit on down. Some people seem to think it only includes the grandpa going 40 in a 65, in the passing lane.

EDIT: Also, this is worth reading.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:02 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,049 times
There are plenty of times within the 694/494 loop where traffic is light enough that a left lane camper can move over. It's not like rush hour exists all the time.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
There are plenty of times within the 694/494 loop where traffic is light enough that a left lane camper can move over. It's not like rush hour exists all the time.
And there are times when Speedy can slow down leave more than 3' between them and the car in front of them too.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:04 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
And there are times when Speedy can slow down leave more than 3' between them and the car in front of them too.
I feel like you think that people going 10 over are trying to kick your puppy or something.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I feel like you think that people going 10 over are trying to kick your puppy or something.
Your feelings really don't have much to do with what I think. You should spend more time reading posts and less time reading into them.

Data show that speeding causes more accidents than going too slow. I linked to the data in an earlier post. I doubt you clicked on the link, but that is a fact.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:55 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,757 times
I think it's not an either/or, it's a both.

If you aren't passing someone in the left lane and someone is clearly trying to get by you and moving to a slower lane is feasible, you're an ass.

If some ass is driving in the left lane and they're blocking you from getting by so you decide to tailgate them, you're an ass. In fact, you're a stupid ass with f'ed up priorities because whatever seconds or minutes you might save by going 5-10 mph faster for a small stretch of the freeway is not worth endangering your life and the lives of the strangers around you. It shows the kind of self-absorption and disregard for consequences that qualify you to run for President of the United States, and that's simply not the kind of person who should be behind the wheel of a car.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
I think it's not an either/or, it's a both.

If you aren't passing someone in the left lane and someone is clearly trying to get by you and moving to a slower lane is feasible, you're an ass.

If some ass is driving in the left lane and they're blocking you from getting by so you decide to tailgate them, you're an ass. In fact, you're a stupid ass with f'ed up priorities because whatever seconds or minutes you might save by going 5-10 mph faster for a small stretch of the freeway is not worth endangering your life and the lives of the strangers around you. It shows the kind of self-absorption and disregard for consequences that qualify you to run for President of the United States, and that's simply not the kind of person who should be behind the wheel of a car.
^Agree. Both are bad though excessive speed is more dangerous. And fortunately our two major presidential candidates don't drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul