Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:05 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
I think it's not an either/or, it's a both.

If you aren't passing someone in the left lane and someone is clearly trying to get by you and moving to a slower lane is feasible, you're an ass.

If some ass is driving in the left lane and they're blocking you from getting by so you decide to tailgate them, you're an ass. In fact, you're a stupid ass with f'ed up priorities because whatever seconds or minutes you might save by going 5-10 mph faster for a small stretch of the freeway is not worth endangering your life and the lives of the strangers around you. It shows the kind of self-absorption and disregard for consequences that qualify you to run for President of the United States, and that's simply not the kind of person who should be behind the wheel of a car.
I would agree here. I don't tailgate. If I'm in left lane and someone is blocking it AND could easily speed up for 2 seconds and move over I wait for a minute at a safe distance back then will flash my lights once to notify them of my desire to pass.

I've driven between Chicago and the TCs about 150 times in the last 12 years. I go 10 over (which is now 80, used to be 75). I would say I encounter 15-20 left lane campers each trip (except when traffic is heavy which is when you get the 2-mile long left lane lines that are impossible to get past).

I lived in Chicago for a decade. There I got used to a 20mph difference between the far left and far right lanes. On 94 north of the city from Evanston to the WI border the left most lane averages 80, right lane 60. Traffic flows and everyone knows which lane to get in depending on what speed they prefer. When I moved back here I noticed that the drivers are much better overall, but there's this weird MN collectivism whereby every lane seems to be within 1-2 mph of one another (except for merging and exiting). It's a distinct cultural feature that many transplants have noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
That's cute but it's called the left hand lane not the passing lane, and it's there for driving in not for racing home to suburbia at 20 over the speed limit. I'm not advocating driving slower than the speed limit in the left lane, but if someone is pretty much going with the flow of traffic there's no need to immediately defer to some jerk who wants to play Indy 500 on 35W.
To be fair you clearly brought 'feelings' into this with this post.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:14 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
To be fair you clearly brought 'feelings' into this with this post.
No I didn't. Again, read the posts and stop reading into them.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:58 AM

Lol ok I'm spitting the bait. GL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul