Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 05:25 PM

701 posts, read 1,703,846 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't rule-out private schools based on finances. Most schools in the Twin Cities offer generous financial aid so it's definitely worth talking to any school that you are interested in. Some will even have a chart that shows you how much the average financial aid package is relative to income. I was pleasantly surprised by that info and very happy that we applied and were offered enough to make it work for our oldest son's new school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 07:00 PM

67 posts, read 64,284 times
Thanks! This is really helpful!

Old 08-07-2016, 07:05 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,733,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnysocalmn View Post
Hello,

Would like info on Woodbury elementary schools. We are relocating from California moving back home but we've been gone for 16 years. We like public schools and are also considering private (due to smaller class size and maybe a more welcoming environment) such as St. Ambrose. However, we want strong academics, athletics and some activities.

We came back and scouted areas. We started out in the West but ruled out Minnetonka elementary because 4 out of 6 of them are immersion. Our child is entering an upper grade and can't do immersion. Having lived in SoCal for so many years, I couldn't wrap my mind around the lack of restaurants and retail in Minnetonka -- all the neighborhoods were really, really old. Yes the estates on the lake are nice but other than Excelsior -- which I loved -- I didn't see many restaurants. I liked Wayzata but it's too far away from family.

I liked Woodbury because of the walking trails and ALL the shopping & restaurants! We are Californians after all Due to all the companies there I am hoping we won't feel too isolated being from California in Woodbury -- it seemed very family friendly with people from all over.

My family lives in the Northern suburbs which are beautiful but some of the people I've met (not all) seem a bit too "small towny" even near North Oaks like "okey dokey" and I really don't want to get the ole "well that's different" Minnesota comments.

I LOVE Edina but my husband wants a yard. I also really like Lake Harriet and Minnehaha Creek but it's out of our budget right now.

My little one is very easy going and resilient and taking it all in stride but I'd love any insight anyone can give on elementary in Woodbury and Woodbury in general. TIA!

PS -- We've also looked at private prep like SPA and Mounds Park Academy but they are a bit steep for us right now and also I want to get the lay of the land first.

St. Ambrose seemed like it might be a nice soft landing!
Woodbury sounds like a perfect fit for you. Lot's of families, good athletics, new homes, big yards, well manicured, great schools. The local public schools are among the best you can find, but if you have your reasons why you want private schools, there are several Catholic schools and you could follow those into either Hill Murray in Maplewood or Cretin Derham Hall in St Paul. I don't know that much about Hill Murray other than that it's highly thought of, but CDH is only $12.5k per year, with SPA being $24k a year. & Mounds Park Acdemy being $25k.

Also, if your parents are in the North burbs, I'd loo at Blaine. It's a lot like Woodbury. New builds, great athletics, lot's of families. They are very similar in feel & demographic. Overall Blaine does not have the same feel as other North burbs like Coon Rapids or Anoka. It feels a lot newer, wealthier and more modern.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 AM

67 posts, read 64,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Woodbury
If you are thinking you will be working in Minneapolis and if that will involve rush hour driving, understand that Woodbury to MPLS is a tough rush hour slog. I lived outside Glendale - one of us drove into the valley each day while the other drove inland for work. That was a less frustrating, quicker rush hour commute that Woodbury to downtown MPLS and it is only going to get worse here. You can mitigate that somewhat by looking at western Woodbury, maybe around the Carver Lake area (which is really pretty and does have lots of the trails you seek) or the newer building going on just north of 94 on the southeast edge of Lake Elmo Preserve (which I think might be Lake Elmo school, which is part of Stillwater 834 and has the added bonus of being right next to a great regional park, with trails and such).
YES. You are so right. After much discussion we are deciding to move closer in! Yay! One of the reasons we are leaving LA is because of the awful commutes. I think for my husband he will feel like he's in heaven to go from a 1+ hour commute in awful traffic to maybe a 5 mile commute!!! Plus, I love like Linden Hills area and all that. I really like Woodbury so it's not out but I am like we have to be aware that scouting an area isn't the same thing as driving it every day and rush hour gets bad in MN too.

Thanks to the board it's great to work through these and figure out what works best! We are very excited & happy to hopefully be back in MN!!!

Old 08-14-2016, 09:45 AM
HKB

221 posts, read 801,069 times
I'm a Woodbury resident with 2 elementary age children. You really can't go wrong with any of the public schools in this city (both ISD 833 and 834 are excellent).

Both of my kids went to preschool at St. Ambrose, but we decided against enrolling them there for elementary for two reasons. 1) We live on the west side of town, and the convenience factor wasn't there. And 2) The public schools here are top notch. We couldn't justify spending $12k+/year to send them to private school when they could get the same quality education at the public school in our neighborhood. I'd rather put that money towards their college education down the line. I think we made a wise decision. The public school is wonderful, and my kids love it there.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:38 AM

30 posts, read 42,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKB View Post
I'm a Woodbury resident with 2 elementary age children. You really can't go wrong with any of the public schools in this city (both ISD 833 and 834 are excellent).

Both of my kids went to preschool at St. Ambrose, but we decided against enrolling them there for elementary for two reasons. 1) We live on the west side of town, and the convenience factor wasn't there. And 2) The public schools here are top notch. We couldn't justify spending $12k+/year to send them to private school when they could get the same quality education at the public school in our neighborhood. I'd rather put that money towards their college education down the line. I think we made a wise decision. The public school is wonderful, and my kids love it there.
Amen.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,257 times
Mounds Park Academy offers significant financial aid and tuition assistance. Most people who live in Woodbury can make MPA work with the variable tuition process.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:10 PM

2,571 posts, read 2,054,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbury10 View Post
Mounds Park Academy offers significant financial aid and tuition assistance. Most people who live in Woodbury can make MPA work with the variable tuition process.
MPA announced last month that they are expanding their buses to neighborhoods in Woodbury and Stillwater:

https://www.moundsparkacademy.org/ne...ater-woodbury/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul