Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,729 times

Advertisements

find raw data by searching for "minneapolis police department", they have comprehensive crime maps, statistics, and even shots fired maps cause they have those gunshot sensors all over the city, i was born here have lived around the area all my life, have relatives and friends throughout the city and suburbs, its a relatively nice city, every major urban area in the world has impoverished areas, and with that always comes gangs and crime, most societies are built to keep the poor down and keep the rich rich, and its usually the darker skinned folk who are the poor predominantly, at least in areas where slavery was big such as the U.S., Brazil, Spain, and so on. But its not their fault, most of them were defineately not dealt the same hand of cards that most white people are.

P.S. there are project high rises in minneapolis, theyre just not gang controlled anymore because everyone saw what can happen with that (cabrini-green) so the authorities keep a close eye.

and another thing there have been 13 shootings in minneapolis in 2008 (most of which have been in the near north-jordan and powderhorn park-phillips areas), and we can thank the some of the best health care in the world for 0 fatalities on those shootings.

Last edited by rockford024; 02-26-2008 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 02-26-2008, 02:47 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
^ thats actually a good point. Both of the "bad areas" of the city are within spitting distance of large hospitals. If North Memorial was on the opposite side of the river, the homicide rate in the Northside would probably be staggering.

It all boils down to perspective. I know several who have moved here from Boston that say its much rougher here than there, which compared to Boston is true. If you've lived in or near any large city with some seriously bad areas, Minneapolis is no big deal. Even if you havent you can pretty safely drive thru any area without getting shot/stabbed/carjacked.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:03 PM

35 posts, read 54,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
^ thats actually a good point. Both of the "bad areas" of the city are within spitting distance of large hospitals. If North Memorial was on the opposite side of the river, the homicide rate in the Northside would probably be staggering.

It all boils down to perspective. I know several who have moved here from Boston that say its much rougher here than there, which compared to Boston is true. If you've lived in or near any large city with some seriously bad areas, Minneapolis is no big deal. Even if you havent you can pretty safely drive thru any area without getting shot/stabbed/carjacked.

nah Bostons worst areas are much worse than Minneapolis's,these two cities look totally different and are....Boston has larger impoverished areas with more project devolpments and Urban Decay thats a fact, crime was worse in the 90's than now but overall the ghetto's are more clear and more violent. go to Live Local Search and bird's eye Roxbury, Mattapan and Dorchester of Boston compared to any area in North Minneapolis and you will see the difference.

Every north east city from Boston to Pittsburgh to Baltimore to Philly are much worse than any city west of chicago

Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
The thing about Minneapolis is that it is diverse everywhere, there aren't neighborhoods with 95-97% of a given race like in Chicago, LA and Detroit so Bhaalspawn's statement is a little out of place, although in extremely general terms and statistically speaking, he's right.

XZ2Y, I know for a fact Minneapolis is safer than it was 10 years ago. There were close to 100 murders in 1995 with the worst area being Phillips. South has improved alot since then and there have only been 50-60 murders/year for the last 5-6 years.
I can say that in the 1970's, based on historical data from the Mpls police website, there were about 30 murders a year in Minneapolis. That's when I lived in Minneapolis, right in the middle of the city, and there weren't violent home invasions in good city neighborhoods that ended in fatalities. Nor were there strings of bank robberies in suburban bank branches (as was the case recently in St Louis Park for example) in broad daylight with semi-automatic weapons. Nor were women who walked from their parked cars on the street to their apartments violently raped, assaulted and robbed as a regular occurrence (read the Mpls police statistics on their website by precinct). Gangs of thugs are apparently driving around the city at night looking for vulnerable female targets walking alone and assaulting them randomly.

Just looking at the statistics over 30 years tells me that Minneapolis has deteriorated in terms of crime. From what I've read, many of the gang members are originating from other cities (Detroit, Chicago, etc), unfortunately, but they wreak their havoc on the good citizens of Mpls. So, 50-60 murderes might seem like good news compared to the mid-1990's, but it's twice as many as 30 years ago. The robbery rate (robberies per 100,000) in Mpls is as high as Detroit. (Look at the website:Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed].) That is not to literally compare Detroit with Mpls in every respect (they are very different cities; Detroit was decimated in part by auto companies abandoning the city and leaving thousands and thousands of unskilled workers unemployed, as was the case in Flint, MI), but those stats do tell you that the robbery rate in Mpls is high for a city that size. My sense from the police website is that the crime cuts across all neighborhoods in the city, with pockets of higher crime numbers (near North, Powderhorn Park, etc).

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2008 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add something

Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M504 View Post
nah Bostons worst areas are much worse than Minneapolis's,these two cities look totally different and are....Boston has larger impoverished areas with more project devolpments and Urban Decay thats a fact, crime was worse in the 90's than now but overall the ghetto's are more clear and more violent. go to Live Local Search and bird's eye Roxbury, Mattapan and Dorchester of Boston compared to any area in North Minneapolis and you will see the difference.

Every north east city from Boston to Pittsburgh to Baltimore to Philly are much worse than any city west of chicago
Why should I birds eye it? The visual appearance of decay doesnt equate to violence or a bad area. Parts of NE Minneapolis are more tattered and decayed than North Minneapolis and its much safer.

Per capita, yes, Boston is safer than Minneapolis. Check the numbers yourself. Bostons crime rates are similar to that of Seattle.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM

35 posts, read 54,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Why should I birds eye it? The visual appearance of decay doesnt equate to violence or a bad area. Parts of NE Minneapolis are more tattered and decayed than North Minneapolis and its much safer.

Per capita, yes, Boston is safer than Minneapolis. Check the numbers yourself. Bostons crime rates are similar to that of Seattle.

i lived in Boston for 2 years of my life, i live in New orleans and Boston is nothing like NO but i have visited Minneapolis 4 times and been all over the city. Boston is worse than Minneapolis but neither city compares to New Orleans

hence the 504

Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
My sense from the police website is that the crime cuts across all neighborhoods in the city, with pockets of higher crime numbers (near North, Powderhorn Park, etc).
The crime stats from the police websites can be helpful and I admit that I look over the maps and data regularly. My take on it is that instances of crime are very low in the majority of the city. A few sparse crimes here and there doesn't really mean much. If you enlarge some of those areas you'll notice that the 3 dots you saw actually cover an 8 block radius over the course of an entire week and that is hardly something to worry about in a fairly dense city. That is probably not too different than the occasional car getting broken into or vandalism that occurs in my parents upper-middle class neighborhood in the suburbs. The areas you speak of with the higher crime occurences are really the only areas where crime is a factor, which like you mentioned, include a decent chunk of the northside, Phillips and Powderhorn.

Areas like downtown and uptown will show mid to high crime numbers but its only because of the extreme density of residents/visitors in those areas. If you break it down most of the crime in those two areas is petty stuff like larcency and theft from motor vehicles. Those kinds of things are going to happen when knuckleheads park there and forget to lock their doors.

Anyways, like it has been mentioned time and time again on this forum, those "higher crime" areas of the city are still not that bad when compared to neighborhoods in other cities. Overall I wouldn't worry too much about living in Minneapolis.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:38 AM

18 posts, read 67,027 times
There is a high degree of crime primarily because of our absurd "catch-and-reliease" criminal justice system.

No, crime is not isolated to specific neighborhoods. It is generally much higher in low income neighbothoods, and nearly non-existant in upper income neighbothoods. This is the universal rule. Crime is also lower in communities that do not have "gun free zones" -- that merely invites violent crime.

By and large, Minneapolis-Saint Paul is a low crime area with isolated pockets of criminal activity.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Secor View Post
Crime is also lower in communities that do not have "gun free zones" -- that merely invites violent crime.
back that claim up with some stats to prove it. Furthermore, back up the idea that "conceal and carry" has actually done anything to curb crime.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:14 AM

44 posts, read 186,110 times
why is boston worse then minneapolis. i did check out crime rate comparison website and minneapolis was worse then boston in every catagory except one. boston is older then minneapolis so it is probably going to look more run down. but the how old and run down a city looks has nothing to do with people. i wouldnt feel afraid of dorchester or any other part of boston. there are many cities that are worse then minneapolis or boston. i dont think that either city has much to worry about when it comes to crime getting out of control. visiting a city dosent give you a very good perspective of how life is there you havent lived in north minneapolis so you really cant say what life is like there on a regular basis. and north is not the worse neighborhood in the world but it is a bad neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul