Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 12:01 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,298 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what public schools have a more diverse curriculum? I understand that most schools have to pass the standardized tests. However, i want schools that give the same type of attention to other subjects(Science, Social studies, Arts, etc). WE are still in the Richfield school district but if we stay in Richfield, I'm looking at either private schools or open enrollment in Edina. However, I want schools that teach more than Reading and Math. Im mostly looking at Edina, Bloomington, Hopkins, SLP, Southwest Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 07:35 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Check out Minnehaha Academy. I think that overall you are going to get more of what you want from a private school than public. In addition to a core curriculum my child has had music, language, and art since kindergarten. Don't let tuition costs scare you away. The top tier private schools all have generous aid programs. Minnehaha Academy | PreK-12 Christian Prep School in Minneapolis

Old 10-19-2016, 12:10 PM

People on this board have definitely mentioned Minnehaha Academy. It's definitely an option. My only issue is that, it's a little farther out than I would like. i would prefer to move to southwest if the kids were to attend Minnehaha Academy

Old 10-19-2016, 12:12 PM

What i do like is that it's K-12 which would be awesome? How is the financial aid package? Is it too early too apply? Blessed Trinity in Richfield is also an option. Another is Edina schools. ONly thing about Edina schools i worry about is the diversity.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
What i do like is that it's K-12 which would be awesome? How is the financial aid package? Is it too early too apply? Blessed Trinity in Richfield is also an option. Another is Edina schools. ONly thing about Edina schools i worry about is the diversity.
It is definitely not too early to apply. There are open houses coming up next week. The high school is having open house Oct 24 and 25, the lower (elementary)and middle schools --which is the age I recall your kids being now-- on Oct 27. Financial aid is customized to meet the needs of each family. Come to an open house and you can meet the admissions people there. Your kids would also be able to do a full day visit to their grade before you made up your mind. We have been at Minnehaha since preschool and could not be happier. The fact that our daughter can spend her entire school career at one school is very appealing to us as well. Here's a link to some admissions info. Give them a call and I think you will be very pleased with what you find. Minnehaha Academy | PreK-12 Christian Prep School in Minneapolis

Old 10-19-2016, 02:18 PM

We also have lots of families from SW Minneapolis and Richfield so your kids could either use the bus service or you could set up a carpool with classmates. There are also quality before and after school programs if you need that. Send me a private message if you have some wuestikns after the open house.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:11 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Does anyone know what public schools have a more diverse curriculum? I understand that most schools have to pass the standardized tests. However, i want schools that give the same type of attention to other subjects(Science, Social studies, Arts, etc). WE are still in the Richfield school district but if we stay in Richfield, I'm looking at either private schools or open enrollment in Edina. However, I want schools that teach more than Reading and Math. Im mostly looking at Edina, Bloomington, Hopkins, SLP, Southwest Minneapolis.
I'd look at the local Catholic schools. They should funnel into Holy Angels (Larry Fitzgerald, Az Cardinals). I can tell you from experience that private schools in Mn are ACTIVELY LOOKING to add students of color! They have scholarships and financial aid, even at the younger levels. Sometimes even 90-95% of tuition. Especially with you being A) in the neighborhood and B) Black (they already get many Hispanics, but not so many Blacks), you should be able to make this work. If you can get your kid into the local Catholic school, then the kid does well academically or athletically, you'll probably end up going to Holy Angels for free. Holy Angels is as good as it gets academically. With a concerned and involved Dad like yourself, there's no reason you can't make this work. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:37 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,049 times
Every school teaches more than reading and math.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:07 PM

371 posts, read 556,037 times
There is a trend in low-performing schools to have students double up on math and/or reading. Two hours a day, instead of one. That crowds out electives like art, music and foreign language. It is called "Double dosing."

Old 10-26-2016, 03:50 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
We've been very happy with Armatage in SW Minneapolis. Lack of foreign language is the main drawback, but the arts/music programs are great. And at the older grades, I'm very impressed (but not with any personal experience) with all the arts and other options at Southwest. I was admiring their dance studio recently, as well as all of their music class space. Plus all the other benefits like lots of academic course offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul