Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 11:55 AM

555 posts, read 501,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGopher80 View Post
When I first asked the question, I had already looked at some statistical data about a few of the towns in the replies but I wanted some anecdotal information to learn things that the numbers might not give me. Thanks to all that helped. I have a few places to look at when settling down.

I do want to address some of the repliers that were uncomfortable with my question. After reading my post again, I could have phrased it a bit more diplomatically given that any public forum contains people with many different political backgrounds. If you wondered if my question categorized you into a group of people that I would not want to associate with, then you are absolutely correct (to a certain degree). I am all for cordial relationships with anyone regardless of political affiliation. But if I learn that you make subtle bigoted comments about immigrants, that you can't stand atheists, that you joke about black people being lazy, or you believe that every teacher in our children's schools should be able to carry a firearm during class, then I will want to do one of the most patriotic things I'm allowed.. I will debate, protest, and lobby to change the laws (and your mind) on every ignorant thing you stand for. Double that if I learn you voted for Donald Trump.

@Mr. Roboto: You made a suggestion that there would be problems if a liberal like me stepped out of line by protesting and detabing. No I will not be a quiet liberal. Just as you have every right not to be a quiet conservative.

@Glenfield

Yes, I am a very liberal person but that doesn't mean I am not a gentleman. I will even say hello to you and may even strike up a conversation with you about the weather.

@Tyryztoll

The world is a complex place. Humans have evolved the ability to summarize data points and beliefs into -isms. In my opinion it's a survival trait. To be able to filter out Anoka county from my list of places to live reduces my search space and saves me time.

Buying a house is a large life-changing financial decision. Choosing a neighborhood that you feel comfortable in is just as important as finding a house that has a finished walkout basement and good schools.. Taken to the extreme, would you want your children to go to a school where they fly the confederate flag? Maybe you're fine with that, but i suspect many people are not. Therefore some criterion that you think is "sad" may be the most important criterion to others.

@Minntoaz: To be honest, I don't think I would like to meet you based on your comment history.

Obviously. it's an impossible task to find a town that has 100% people fitting a certain profile. I was merely looking for a town that slants left (LIBERAL).

Happy Thanksgiving -- Unashamed LIBERAL.
What about your neighbor just being your neighbor. Someone who will help keep an eye on your property while you're on vacation. Somebody whose driveway you'll snowblow if you find out they were recently in the hospital. Just a neighbor, not a liberal or conservative whose mind needs to be changed by you, the moral authority. How about living your message through your life rather than looking at everyone as Same or Different than you politically. IMO, that's one of the truly great things about the Midwest and why we're trying to move back there.

I get not wanting to move into a place where EVERY single person is going to have a completely different viewpoint from yours. But that's unlikely to happen in the vast majority of the US, especially suburbs, which are pretty purple everywhere, as someone pointed out.

You need to watch the recent SNL sketch on The Bubble to discover how silly all this talk is starting to sound.

PS, because i know it matters to you, and you'll probably make it a false reason to discount my post, I did NOT vote for Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 06:10 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,549 times
To answer your question (and as has been already stated by a few posters), you'd likely be happiest in the actual cities of either Minneapolis or St Paul, though you will likely have to settle for less land. St Louis Park would likely be the most liberal of the suburbs and while the western suburbs do tend to be the most liberal (but still quite purple) of the suburbs, but that purple turns to red pretty quickly. For instance, only one city in Carver county went blue this election (Chanhassen) and it did so for the first time since 1972.

That said, as a relatively new transplant myself, people here tend to NOT discuss controversial topics at ALL-- in fact, literally NONE of my MN native friends posted a single political post during this election cycle (vastly different than my East Coast friends, whose FB walls were virtually all politics, all the time). And, I do find that people tend to "live and let live" here even if they might pull a different lever in the voting booth than you might have.

Hope that it helps and welcome to MN!

Old 11-24-2016, 10:20 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
Honestly OP, you are the only person in this thread that sounds closed minded and bigoted, describing anyone else who has different political views than you as a racist, xenophobic, inbred hick. Maybe you should stay where you are if you feel more welcome there.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:46 PM

106 posts, read 161,335 times
No need to overthink of it - just look at the U.S. congressional representation.

St. Louis Park is represented in Congress by Keith Ellison, who also severs Minneapolis proper and is comfortably reelected despite/because of (depending on one's stance) being one of the most progressive members of the House. Hopkins, Golden Valley, and Robbinsdale also fall within this district. For quality of schools, many would probably rate Hopkins and SLP as higher performing than Robbinsdale.

Minnetonka is where I live, and is considered a more "purple" city. My neighborhood's MN house and senate districts were just won by the DFL in very close races (meaning, *gasp*, there are social conservatives in the neighborhood). In the U.S. congress we're in a pretty safe district for Republican Eric Paulsen, though the conservative areas of district is more to the north and west (Plymouth/Maple Grove/etc). The city of Minnetonka may fit your house/lot parameters, though you should keep in mind that the *city* of Minnetonka is served by both Hopkins schools (the more economically mixed/liberal side of the city) and Minnetonka schools (more affluent and conservative areas that are closer to Lake Minnetonka).

Old 11-25-2016, 09:06 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Wow...unbelieveable

BTW Trump IS your President (elect)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Good grief. Perhaps if the OP was more tolerant he might have more exposure to people who are different from him and wouldn't be so afraid of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGopher80 View Post
When I first asked the question, I had already looked at some statistical data about a few of the towns in the replies but I wanted some anecdotal information to learn things that the numbers might not give me. Thanks to all that helped. I have a few places to look at when settling down.

I do want to address some of the repliers that were uncomfortable with my question. After reading my post again, I could have phrased it a bit more diplomatically given that any public forum contains people with many different political backgrounds. If you wondered if my question categorized you into a group of people that I would not want to associate with, then you are absolutely correct (to a certain degree). I am all for cordial relationships with anyone regardless of political affiliation. But if I learn that you make subtle bigoted comments about immigrants, that you can't stand atheists, that you joke about black people being lazy, or you believe that every teacher in our children's schools should be able to carry a firearm during class, then I will want to do one of the most patriotic things I'm allowed.. I will debate, protest, and lobby to change the laws (and your mind) on every ignorant thing you stand for. Double that if I learn you voted for Donald Trump.

@Mr. Roboto: You made a suggestion that there would be problems if a liberal like me stepped out of line by protesting and detabing. No I will not be a quiet liberal. Just as you have every right not to be a quiet conservative.

@Glenfield

Yes, I am a very liberal person but that doesn't mean I am not a gentleman. I will even say hello to you and may even strike up a conversation with you about the weather.

@Tyryztoll

The world is a complex place. Humans have evolved the ability to summarize data points and beliefs into -isms. In my opinion it's a survival trait. To be able to filter out Anoka county from my list of places to live reduces my search space and saves me time.

Buying a house is a large life-changing financial decision. Choosing a neighborhood that you feel comfortable in is just as important as finding a house that has a finished walkout basement and good schools.. Taken to the extreme, would you want your children to go to a school where they fly the confederate flag? Maybe you're fine with that, but i suspect many people are not. Therefore some criterion that you think is "sad" may be the most important criterion to others.

@Minntoaz: To be honest, I don't think I would like to meet you based on your comment history.

Obviously. it's an impossible task to find a town that has 100% people fitting a certain profile. I was merely looking for a town that slants left (LIBERAL).

Happy Thanksgiving -- Unashamed LIBERAL.
I'd like to say I'm hurt but you just reaffirmed by opinions. To be honest I really don't want to meet you. People that generalize people and go on rampages about posters are no friends of mine. You can be gay, transgender, black, white, yellow, a prostitue and if you're a person who has a heart and attempts to keep peace in the world I'm all for it. At any rarte God Bless and Merry Christmas!

Old 11-25-2016, 09:29 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,594 times
To the OP: people getting all butt-hurt that you want to live in a liberal area can go screw themselves. Sad to say there are a lot of jerks on this forum just as there are a lot of jerks in reality. It's also sad to say that the biggest jerks have the loudest mouths. Pick who you give your time and energy here to wisely, overall this forum community is rather poor with a few bright lights in it every now and then. It's your house, it's your community that you will live in, and the criteria you choose are your own business.

Oh and by the way: there are many people here who will accept any expression of racial intolerance or bigotry without a word but, as you can see, will feel compelled to respond to anything which may even tangentially hint on being anti-conservative. So take some of the responses with a huge grain of salt because the people making them have absolutely no moral compass.

Last edited by Thedosius; 11-25-2016 at 10:06 PM..

Old 11-26-2016, 08:21 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
To the OP: people getting all butt-hurt that you want to live in a liberal area can go screw themselves. Sad to say there are a lot of jerks on this forum just as there are a lot of jerks in reality. It's also sad to say that the biggest jerks have the loudest mouths. Pick who you give your time and energy here to wisely, overall this forum community is rather poor with a few bright lights in it every now and then. It's your house, it's your community that you will live in, and the criteria you choose are your own business.

Oh and by the way: there are many people here who will accept any expression of racial intolerance or bigotry without a word but, as you can see, will feel compelled to respond to anything which may even tangentially hint on being anti-conservative. So take some of the responses with a huge grain of salt because the people making them have absolutely no moral compass.

Yeah that's not what anyone said but you sure like straw men apparently.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:22 AM

The Twin Cities are definitely center left. It's less accepted socially to be far right than far left. Except for the exurbs.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:19 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
[/b]
Yeah that's not what anyone said but you sure like straw men apparently.
Yeah, actually it is what several people said, it's right here in black and white. I don't include you in that group however because it is not what YOU said.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Yeah, actually it is what several people said, it's right here in black and white. I don't include you in that group however because it is not what YOU said.
I'm failing to find a post here in this thread that 'accepts racial intolerance or bigotry without a word.' Also I've never personally heard anyone do this in person in my 4 years of college here or my 2 years in the very purple southwest suburbs since I moved back. I just went to a family thanksgiving. 35 people, aged 4 months to 93 years old. Not even once was politics or race mentioned.

Maybe I just don't live by or travel in social circles with racists or xenophobes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul