Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2017, 11:33 AM
 
3 posts, read 5,244 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in need of help of finding out more about Eden Prairie. I have seen a good amount of talk about EP on this site with a great notions. Also CNN gave it number 2 best place to live for this just past year. That being said, some people have mentioned its about the same thing as Maple Grove along with other large suburbs of Minneapolis.

I am moving by myself for a business opportunity and most likely am going to rent for the first year. Are there some very nice apartments that should be in my research/moving process? I would look into Edina as well.

I do enjoy being around families mostly. Does Edina have more of these millennial new up and comers or does Eden Prairie share it utmost.

Any information you can share would be superb! THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2017, 01:07 PM
 
106 posts, read 161,390 times
Reputation: 196
Some very unorganized thoughts:

-Maple Grove is much further than EP from many of the region's most popular destinations, such as the airport, Mall of America, the Mpls chain of lakes, Lake Minnetonka, the Edina/Southdale area, Minnesota Zoo, etc. I'd say it is well nigh impossible to get to St. Paul in any reasonable amount of time from MG, but that is just me.

-Maple Grove residents I know tend to make observations like, "We never really leave Maple Grove." The good aspect of that is that a ton of shopping and entertainment is now in Maple Grove, concentrated in the Arbor Lakes complex. Thr bad part of it is that, to me, that sounds quite suffocating and boring.

-Minneapolis suburbs aren't diverse in general, but Maple Grove is far less diverse than Eden Prairie. Eden Prairie seems to have sizable community of Asian/Indian-subcontinent families, which is reflected in some of the restaurants, who you see in the mall, etc

My editorial opinion: Eden Prairie is much more integrated into the Twin Cities region. From EP, you can choose to head east towards established suburbs like Bloomington, Edina, or Minneapolis itself. Head north and you are in the Lake Minnetonka region, with its own lake community vibe. Head south and there's some notable attractions like Valley Fair amusement park, Canterbury Park, and the Minnesota Zoo. Head west and you are into the emerging suburbs of Chanhassen and Chaska, with their own amenities and things to do. Maple Grove, by contrast, kind of locks you into staying in Maple Grove, especially if you are in the further flung parts of the city. Head north or west out of MG, and there isn't much. Head east or south and you have to travel a bit before getting to anything worth stopping for. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 01:11 PM
 
1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Reputation: 2391
^^^ I agree. Great synopsis.

The cities themselves are similar. But EPs placement relative to other metro amenities is tremendous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 03:38 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,244 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
^^^ I agree. Great synopsis.

The cities themselves are similar. But EPs placement relative to other metro amenities is tremendous.

Hi,
I have came across your username on a lot of the boards and thank you for the information you have provided. Would you consider Edina to have more families with children rather then Eden Praire or opposite. I keep seeing old money, Edina and new money, EP scattered on different discussions but wanted to get your opinion. Eventually going to have some family children attend schools and wonder which city is best or better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 03:39 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,244 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTnVtMn View Post
Some very unorganized thoughts:

-Maple Grove is much further than EP from many of the region's most popular destinations, such as the airport, Mall of America, the Mpls chain of lakes, Lake Minnetonka, the Edina/Southdale area, Minnesota Zoo, etc. I'd say it is well nigh impossible to get to St. Paul in any reasonable amount of time from MG, but that is just me.

-Maple Grove residents I know tend to make observations like, "We never really leave Maple Grove." The good aspect of that is that a ton of shopping and entertainment is now in Maple Grove, concentrated in the Arbor Lakes complex. Thr bad part of it is that, to me, that sounds quite suffocating and boring.

-Minneapolis suburbs aren't diverse in general, but Maple Grove is far less diverse than Eden Prairie. Eden Prairie seems to have sizable community of Asian/Indian-subcontinent families, which is reflected in some of the restaurants, who you see in the mall, etc

My editorial opinion: Eden Prairie is much more integrated into the Twin Cities region. From EP, you can choose to head east towards established suburbs like Bloomington, Edina, or Minneapolis itself. Head north and you are in the Lake Minnetonka region, with its own lake community vibe. Head south and there's some notable attractions like Valley Fair amusement park, Canterbury Park, and the Minnesota Zoo. Head west and you are into the emerging suburbs of Chanhassen and Chaska, with their own amenities and things to do. Maple Grove, by contrast, kind of locks you into staying in Maple Grove, especially if you are in the further flung parts of the city. Head north or west out of MG, and there isn't much. Head east or south and you have to travel a bit before getting to anything worth stopping for. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the details. How's savage, south of Minneapolis in comparison thoughts. Revising the maps, I see that to be a large area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 06:26 PM
 
106 posts, read 161,390 times
Reputation: 196
I must say, the thing about Savage is that one does not hear much about Savage. That could be limited to my experience.

There's not much in Savage that anyone from outside Savage would have much reason to visit. The town strikes me as being a place where there was inexpensive land upon which to build lots and lots of typical suburban single family housing.

Being south of the Minnesota River is an important decision, as commuting to/from points north of the river will be a chore during rush hour.

Both Eden Prairie and Maple Grove are "family cities." Lots of people raising kids there. Savage probably is as well, but I don't know it as well and it would probably be considered a tier below EP and MG in 'prestige' and school quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2017, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Reputation: 886
I believe Maple Grove has the most retail in the state after Bloomington, and Bloomington only has them beat because of the Mall of America. And of course it makes sense that they hardly leave Maple Grove, what do any of the surrounding cities like Brooklyn Park, New Hope, Crystal, Plymouth, Champlin or Rogers offer that Maple Grove doesn't? Only thing I can think of is Cabelas and thats hardly "leaving" Maple Grove to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2017, 07:59 AM
 
3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Reputation: 6484
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPChamberOfSecrets View Post
Thanks for the details. How's savage, south of Minneapolis in comparison thoughts. Revising the maps, I see that to be a large area.
I would not personally live in Savage when compared to others. The reason being, it has less retail (although this is changing), it's associated with the Casino (mystic lake) and all the rif raff it brings, and it has poor highway access. It's not a bad place but it would not be my first choice.

EP is great, I'll second what others say, a bit more mature than Maple Grove. Here's the deal if you haven't been to the Twin Cities. 60-80% of the suburbs are somewhat interchangeable. They all have great schools, great parks, and great retail. It's not like coastal cities where 1 town in the entire metro has the great schools and thus is so "high demand" relative to the others.

One thing about EP, the high school is simply enormous, dare I say too big? So they are very competitive at sports. Edina is more east coast "old money". Much of Edina is on a grid system like you will see in the city (detached garages with alleyways, etc.), and thus operates a bit like the wealthier neighborhoods of Mpls, while the other half of the city has $2M wooded lot mansions. Whereas EP is all suburb through and through, albeit a nice one.

For me, below is my list of top traditional "suburbs" that are best to live in. And while they have their differences, they are somewhat interchangeable.

Eagan
Apple Valley
Eden Prairie
Woodbury
Maple Grove
Edina (a bit more unlike the rest on the list)
Lakeville
Plymouth

A a VERY general rule of thumb, the south and west parts of the metro are a little nicer than the north and east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 AM
 
1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Reputation: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I would not personally live in Savage when compared to others. The reason being, it has less retail (although this is changing), it's associated with the Casino (mystic lake) and all the rif raff it brings, and it has poor highway access. It's not a bad place but it would not be my first choice.

EP is great, I'll second what others say, a bit more mature than Maple Grove. Here's the deal if you haven't been to the Twin Cities. 60-80% of the suburbs are somewhat interchangeable. They all have great schools, great parks, and great retail. It's not like coastal cities where 1 town in the entire metro has the great schools and thus is so "high demand" relative to the others.

One thing about EP, the high school is simply enormous, dare I say too big? So they are very competitive at sports. Edina is more east coast "old money". Much of Edina is on a grid system like you will see in the city (detached garages with alleyways, etc.), and thus operates a bit like the wealthier neighborhoods of Mpls, while the other half of the city has $2M wooded lot mansions. Whereas EP is all suburb through and through, albeit a nice one.

For me, below is my list of top traditional "suburbs" that are best to live in. And while they have their differences, they are somewhat interchangeable.

Eagan
Apple Valley
Eden Prairie
Woodbury
Maple Grove
Edina (a bit more unlike the rest on the list)
Lakeville
Plymouth

A a VERY general rule of thumb, the south and west parts of the metro are a little nicer than the north and east.
I would agree with this as well.

Regarding kids, I think Edina would have more empty nesters than EP but that's just a hunch. Both are considered tremendous cities for families. Just depends if you want a slightly more urban feel (Edina) with wealthier neighbors and amenities, or a family-oriented and car-dependent (Eden Prairie) suburb.

Regarding diversity... our kids attend the grade school which includes Bearpath Country Club (we don't live there). It also includes town homes and apartments. So in their classes are wealthy whites, upper middle class whites, asians, middle class whites, asians, Indians, Hispanics and Somalians and a few lower middle clsss kids from different backgrounds as well. I've dropped my daughter off at birthday parties in Bearpath (2 million dollar house) and at an apartment complex. It's an experience that greatly benefits my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top