Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
The way I see it, all major cities are ghettos. This is where the concentration of violent crimes and murders happen. This is where most of the gang activity is collected. Major cities are ghettos.
And you contribute on the city-data forum because...? If that's how you feel than I don't think your opinions/insight are going to help anybody. Maybe you should look for a farming or nature reserve data forum.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
And you contribute on the city-data forum because...? If that's how you feel than I don't think your opinions/insight are going to help anybody. Maybe you should look for a farming or nature reserve data forum.
If you'll notice, I said "The way I see it..." I did not state conclusively. And, if you look at my previous posts, you'll see I've been quite kind and helpful to people, keeping my personal opinions out of things. I relayed helpful and encouraging information specific to what they were searching for.

So, not being a negative person (or attacking anyone's opinions, which are just as valid as yours), I believe my opinion in this thread was perfectly appropriate. It's not as if I barged into someone's thread who was looking for help about a place they were keen on and I rained on their parade.

If you didn't like my opinion, the kind thing to do would have been to just move on and ignore it. Now, I think you should be very careful about voicing any negative words in any of YOUR posts because now the tables could be turned just as easily on you. Unless you think your posts are perfect?

Old 03-30-2008, 03:05 PM

Here are a few good non-city places to voice your helpful and encouraging information:

The Newfarm Forums :: Index (http://www.newfarm.org/forums/index.php?c=2 - broken link)
Forums | Active Farming .org
Country Talk Discussion Board
Self Reliance, Country Living, and Homesteading Readers' Forum

Old 03-30-2008, 03:31 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times
Quote:
Here are a few good non-city places to voice your helpful and encouraging information:

The Newfarm Forums :: Index (http://www.newfarm.org/forums/index.php?c=2 - broken link)
Forums | Active Farming .org
Country Talk Discussion Board
Self Reliance, Country Living, and Homesteading Readers' Forum
Thanks for the links, but you don't have the luxury of getting rid of me. I made one comment and stated that it was my opinion, and you want to banish me? Nice. What's even more odd is that it had nothing to do with you. It was a general comment. Shall we search your past posts for a negative comment so we can send you on your way, too?

Old 03-30-2008, 04:15 PM

Dude, you just called every major city a "ghetto." Let's define ghetto, shall we? This was taken from dictionary.com:

ghet·to –noun, plural -tos, -toes.
1. a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships.
2. any mode of living, working, etc., that results from stereotyping or biased treatment: job ghettos for women; ghettos for the elderly.

A few posts ago you labeled every major city in this manner. Half of the U.S. population calls these places their home. Their livelihood rests in these locations. So now tell me how shouldn't I be offended by your disrespectful and disdainful comment?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Quote:
Dude, you just called every major city a "ghetto." Let's define ghetto, shall we? This was taken from dictionary.com:

ghet·to –noun, plural -tos, -toes.
1. a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships.
2. any mode of living, working, etc., that results from stereotyping or biased treatment: job ghettos for women; ghettos for the elderly.

A few posts ago you labeled every major city in this manner. Half of the U.S. population calls these places their home. Their livelihood rests in these locations. So now tell me how shouldn't I be offended by your disrespectful and disdainful comment?
Isn't it sad that the definition you found defines it as "inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group" - almost as if this was naturally occurring phenomenon, or an assumption that diverse neighborhoods = ghetto? I've seen minority neighborhoods that are some of the richest in America, and some pretty harsh white slums...

Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,042 times
Ghetto was originally coined to describe predominantly Jewish areas at one time. Its kind of always served as a definition of an area that has a specific demographic.

the word "ghetto" is probably the most over used word in the dictionary and 98% of the time its used incorrectly. Kids from Edina will describe a neighborhood as being "ghetto" because 2 or 3 of the houses havent been painted in a few years.

Now, if there is some phantom Minneapolis ghetto lurking someone please point me in the direction of it as I must have missed it in the past dozen or so years. Is it Phillips? Do I have to look beyond the pack of leftist hippie kids having a potluck on their front porch? Is it behind all Franklin Street Bakery and all the restaurants? Is it North? Do I have to ignore the blocks of well manicured houses and vigilant neighborhood watches that will call the police if you do anything suspicious? Is it Powderhorn? Should I just ignore the large beautiful park and lake dead center of the neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul