Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 05:26 PM

19 posts, read 24,062 times

Advertisements

Good evening. My wife and I are relocating from Scottsdale Az to Minneapolis due to her job. I flew in for the weekend to house hunt and we found 2 homes we really liked. One is in hopkins and the other is in North St. Paul (zip code is 55109). I know Hopins/St louis park are considered trendy areas and are generally well regarded, curious how North St Paul compares?

We are both professionals no kids (fur kids are our life) and we just want a safe neighborhood with a decent commute for my wife (she works in downtown minneapolis) and access to good grocery stores/restaurants.

We would appreciate this forums input as we decide which home to go with and put an offer on.

Thanks in avance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 06:19 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Hopkins is going to give you a better commute to downtown Minneapolis than North St Paul.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:29 PM

256 posts, read 287,131 times
Yeah, I wouldn't want to commute from North St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis. Keep in mind proximity to certain highways and bus routes can make all the difference, AND time of day can change things drastically.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 AM

44 posts, read 71,768 times
Hopkins is closer to MPLS which offers more variety of restaurants/grocery stores, amenities, things to do, walkability etc. North St. Paul has a semi-charming downtown (depends who you ask) and is really only close to Maplewood/White Bear Lake/Stillwater. The commute will be worse but depending on what you're used to, it could be just fine. Luckily the MPLS/St. Paul traffic is really only bad from 7-9am and 4-6pm. It doesn't really encompass multiple hours twice a day so that's a plus. If I were in your position and debating between the two, I'd pick Hopkins. NSP is nice, but it's outdated, not near anywhere diverse and generally pretty boring (although cheaper to live and lower taxes I think)

Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
North St Paul is a little to close to Maple"Hood" for me personally. It may be a decent place, although it's not really known for anything. I can tell you it's not the up and coming part of the metro if that helps

Old 02-24-2017, 06:53 AM

91 posts, read 119,187 times
Hopkins or St.Louis Park would have more and would be closer to good grocery stores and restaurants, and are safe neighborhoods. And the commute from those areas would be better than from N. St Paul.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:49 AM

30 posts, read 42,512 times
You will be very disappointed with North St Paul if coming from Scottsdale but then again you may be very disappointed in any city in MN compared to Scottsdale. Stay west of Minneapolis like St Louis Park and you should enjoy that.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:02 PM

19 posts, read 24,062 times
Thanks for the input...we actually ended up changing course and we are in the process of buying a home in north Bloomington minnesota.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:25 PM

30 posts, read 42,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongordo8 View Post
Thanks for the input...we actually ended up changing course and we are in the process of buying a home in north Bloomington minnesota.
Not a bad place to be with many great surrounding cities nearby. Solid choice.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:55 AM

442 posts, read 593,722 times
Another +1 for Hopkins. Years ago I worked in "downtown" North Saint Paul and thought it was cute; now it's looking pretty run-down.

Plus, rule of thumb around here is that crossing one downtown to another for a commute is way more hassle than it's worth (through St. Paul to Minneapolis, for example). She'd be taking Highway 36 over from NSP, which can be a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul