Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:36 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,049 times

Advertisements

Victoria to EP won't be too bad. 20-30 minutes probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 09:28 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
May I ask which states you lived in previously? We've lived in Indiana, Tennessee, Colorado and are now contemplating a move to Minnesota. What makes MN better than the other states you have lived in?

I have lived in WI, IL, MN, NJ, and have traveled to all 48 states. In my opinion, generally speaking MN excels in terms of economy, education, parks, affordability, amenities, nice airport, green space, safety, and infrastructure when compared to other areas.

If I moved back to NJ for instance, I would get minimum if any bump in pay, a longer commute, my same house would be 50 years older, 30% smaller, and cost 30% more. My parents property taxes would be over $1,000/mo if they still lived there.

We have downsides too, don't get me wrong (mosquitos, lack of proximity to other landscapes (mtns, ocean, etc.), the depth of winter, etc.), but the total package of MN is quite good and very livable. There seems to be something about the colder climates that weeds out the rif-raff and brings about the best in people, ideas, progress, etc., I can't really put my finger on it. The Scandinavian countries seem to reap these benefits as well.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:33 PM

18 posts, read 22,416 times
And it's good to note that afternoon "rush hour" starts around 2:30p and goes until about 6:30p. (says the Wild season ticket holder that lived off of Hwy 62 in Shorewood.)

Old 03-07-2017, 06:40 PM

442 posts, read 593,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberspacey View Post
And it's good to note that afternoon "rush hour" starts around 2:30p and goes until about 6:30p. (says the Wild season ticket holder that lived off of Hwy 62 in Shorewood.)
I live off Highway 65 in Blaine. Rush hour here starts at 5:30 a.m. and ends at 8 p.m.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:51 AM

4 posts, read 4,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
I may be biased, as I live out this way (currently in Chan) and we will be moving to Victoria in May. The area is quiet, without being overly sleepy-- there is a seemingly decent amount of transplants, most people are highly educated (and most are highly compensated-- Victoria has one of the highest median incomes in the area)--we're moving to Victoria for many of the same reasons-- you get FAR more for your money in Victoria than virtually any other suburb. The "cost", as you mentioned, is a longer commute. It's a hybrid between a small town and a suburb-- many people I know commute in to Minneapolis daily (and still many others live and work more locally).

There's a cute, but small downtown-- with a few restaurants, pubs/bars, a public library, an ice cream shop, a wine/liquor store, a few salons, a boutique, and a barber. In order to go shopping for groceries, you'll have to go to Chaska (Super Target, Cub, Home Depot, CVS, and soon, Hy-Vee), Chan (Target, Cub, Lunds & Byerly's, CVS, Walgreens, and soon, ALDI), and/or Waconia (Target, Mackenthun's)-- which will be anywhere from 8-15 minutes. Costco and the closest mall are both in Eden Prairie, so 20-25 minutes.

Personally, I'd rather commute to shopping than to live surrounded by big box stores-- Victoria also has an ice rink with 2 sheets, is easily commutable to the Lifetime in Chan (which is where Lifetime is headquartered), there's golf, more than a handful of lakes, a bunch of community parks, good schools, and a welcoming community (yes, I, too was warned at how cold that "Minnesota Nice" can be-- but we've really enjoyed moving here, and, largely through our kids' activities, have developed a nice circle of friends).

As long as you're okay with a commute-- I see virtually no other drawbacks. Feel free to ask me any questions-- I'm far from an expert, as I've only been in MN for 2 1/2 years, but I'll do my best!
Thank you for the details, great information. I bought a home this past weekend in Victoria so I guess I will have to live with it either way, but everything you posted sounds like exactly what we are looking for. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul