U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:44 PM

481 posts, read 1,718,070 times

Advertisements

I grew up there and still live close, so of course I have my own ideas about the suburb -- but I wanted to see what others thing as a check against my own (pre)conceptions.

Seems to be one of those places you never hear much about...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:46 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,712,869 times
I can never tell the difference between Richfield and Bloomington. Some areas are quite crowded, relatively speaking as far as Twin Cities neighborhoods go.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 57,564,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I can never tell the difference between Richfield and Bloomington. Some areas are quite crowded, relatively speaking as far as Twin Cities neighborhoods go.

I always thought the shops on Lyndale were in Bloomington, I didn't know that side of 494 was Richfield.

My experience with Richfield is small, post WWII homes, all along major highways with LOTS of airport noise. That is my overall impression of Richfield.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:11 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,420,583 times
its pretty much a textbook definition of a working class middle income suburb.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 PM

1,839 posts, read 5,341,945 times
To be honest, and this is just from a basic driving through impression and seeing a couple of blocks off of major streets, but I've always felt it was kind of a drab area - tract development ranch homes as far as the eye can see, kind of wedged in between south minneapolis and other suburbs, noisy car and air traffic...to be frank I don't think there's much aesthetic appeal to the area and am not sure why people choose to live there when there's more affordable and much nicer areas to be found in the metro area.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 PM

2,506 posts, read 8,090,307 times
Richfield doesn't seem to know it, but it is an extension of South Mpls.. Parts of it are getting pretty shady, but it was (and still mostly is) straight middle-class people in bungalows. In the next generaltion, it is going to be lower middle-class immigrants in bungalows. The city needs to figure out how to fix its housing stock (which, although nice in theory, has not been well-maintained) and commercial areas. Penn Avenue South looks worse than Penn Avenue North. Richfield does have the appearance of a drab area, but it really isn't. The little bungalows are adorable, but they don't build a sidewalk so you can walk down the street and enjoy them. Richfield hasn't figured out how to show its assets. I'll sum it up this way. Richfield can either learn how to cope with its changes and become an amazing, diverse and propserous area or it can just as easily become the Mpls.' newest slum. If it develops by building pretty roundabouts and a ginormous Target, it will become the latter. If it takes advantage of transportation options, its modest housing stock and ability to comfotably build more urban housing options it will be amazing to see in thirty years. On its current path, were going to get a great big slum.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM

6,311 posts, read 15,142,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
To be honest, and this is just from a basic driving through impression and seeing a couple of blocks off of major streets, but I've always felt it was kind of a drab area - tract development ranch homes as far as the eye can see, kind of wedged in between south minneapolis and other suburbs, noisy car and air traffic...to be frank I don't think there's much aesthetic appeal to the area and am not sure why people choose to live there when there's more affordable and much nicer areas to be found in the metro area.
Actually, the area around 66th and Lyndale is quite pleasant considering it is in a post-WWII suburb!

Old 03-10-2008, 05:04 PM

82 posts, read 133,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
I grew up there and still live close, so of course I have my own ideas about the suburb -- but I wanted to see what others thing as a check against my own (pre)conceptions.

Seems to be one of those places you never hear much about...
I have lived in Minneapolis my hole life and Richfeild has aways been my favorite suburb.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 AM

17,031 posts, read 28,770,955 times
Richfield is a nice town, but its been getting a little ragged around the fringes. Its proximity to downtown/airport/U of M/lakes make it desirable to live there. The homes tend to be older bungalows...many retirees. But I hear the school has dropped off in attendance significantly, as those that grew up there have moved south of the river to larger, newer, more affordable properties.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:01 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,420,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistacoolio20 View Post
I have lived in Minneapolis my hole life and Richfeild has aways been my favorite suburb.
I lived off 60th and Nicollet for a couple years right on the Richfield/Minneapolis border and I always really liked the area. Sure, its kind of run down in some spots but it kind of gives it its charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul