Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,330 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am looking for any advice/experience you've had with IEP, special education, physical disability in our metro area school districts. We have two young kids, our oldest is currently in kindergarten and our 2nd is 21 months old and is physically disabled. Because we will eventually need a wheelchair accessible home, we've begun to look outside of S. Minneapolis (where we currently live) for a new home.

We're used to commuting and fairly flexible, so we've been looking at a wide range of areas, but specifically homes in the Bloomington, St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Minnetonka and Mounds View districts. I'm originally from the cities and so am pretty familiar with neighborhoods, amenities, etc., but would love to hear any experiences with the special education services for these districts.

I've been searching the forum for similar topics and have found several related posts, but since many of them seem to deal with students on the autism spectrum, I'd love to hear if anyone had any experience with physical disability / wheelchair accessibility* and inclusiveness.

*I understand that all schools by law are wheelchair accessible, but there is a difference (at least to me) between a single story school building and an older multi-story school building with one service elevator jammed in some back corner somewhere (like our current neighborhood school).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:38 PM

878 posts, read 1,208,763 times
I can't speak with personal experience about physical disabilities, but I was very impressed with the special education services (my youngest had an IEP due to a significant processing/reading delay and my middle had speech therapy) while at Chanhassen Elementary. Additionally there were a number of kids with moderate to severe intellectual (as well as some had physical) disabilities that were often included within the curriculum (especially for specials, plays, field trips, etc) whenever possible. The building is a single story and I believe (but can't confirm 100%) that it's entirely wheelchair accessible.

I'm still in touch with my youngest's special ed teacher at Chan and can tell you honestly that she is single handedly responsible for my daughter's academic success (she took her from barely reading to reading well above grade level)-- she still checks in with my daughter though she's no longer her student.

Not certain whether District 112 (Chaska/Chan/Victoria/Carver) is on your radar, but wanted to at least mention our family's very positive experience.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:44 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times
We have 4 special needs kids......ranging from severe developmental delays to autism, and Lakeville schools (district 194, I believe) were awesome with them during the year we were there. The early childhood learning centers and special needs assistance provided were exactly what we needed, providing all the speech/occupational/physical therapies along with paras (chaprones) and special counseling. Unfortunately, when it came time for us to purchase a home Lakeville was a little too rich for our blood, so we purchased up in Cambridge and they'll be switching to the Cambridge/Isanti schools now.

We were told before we moved to Minnesota that this was one of the best states for special needs children in correlation with everything available to them, and that has been spot on true from what we've experienced thus far. Even if some school districts aren't as special needs oriented as others, they're still probably going to be better than anything you'll find in, for instance, Texas, which is where we were previously. No comparison.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 3,330 times
Thank you both for the feedback - much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul