Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:32 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,880 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm interested in hearing from people who have moved to Minneapolis or St. Paul from somewhere else. It doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been and where you were before, if you like. I'm looking for your subjective opinions and personal experiences, rather than collected data and statistics. Please share as little or as much detail as you want.
  1. How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

2. Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

8. What do you like best about the Twin Cities?

9. What do you like least?

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 06:52 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,863 times
How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

It is different. We are from South Florida. 8 years on the TCs - too long tonatill be considered a transplant. There are things I miss terribly and things I don't miss at all. There are so many positive aspects to the Twin Cities and our years here, but there have been some difficulties also.
[*]Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

First ring suburb - SLP

[*]Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

Yes, we found a great home in a great area that when we leave the TCs we will sell quickly at a profit.
[*]a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

Car- accessibility and ease of commute is so much better here than in larger cities. It is definitely a huge plus.

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?

On rare occasion we have used - when we first moved here we used more frequently. It is a definite plus.
[*]Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

Yes. Not sure. More and more some of the social aspects are wearing on us and the pros are evening up with the cons the longer we are here. That being said, the YCs have been very good to us. And perhaps this phase too shall pass as in full disclosure, we are in a very tumultuous transitional year and have another coming in a few years.
[*]How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

Excellent. Not only the selection, but the ease of access.
[*]Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

I have only had one employer and same with my spouse, but o think salaries here are very generous and highly competitive- it has been for us. Housing and food are more expensive than we anticipated, but insurance and itlitlies are less. Child care costs are extremely high as are incidentals such as cab fare; airport parking (seems trivial, but we travel quite a bit and it's irritating).
[*]What do you like best about the Twin Cities?

The quality of life. And I have a love/hate relationship with the culture.
[*]What do you like least?[/list]
Being so removed geographically from what I would consider most of my family and friends, and difficulty in quick, fun getaways that were much easier on the east coast IMO.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:35 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
8 years on the TCs - too long tonatill be considered a transplant.
Not at all. I've lived in NYC for over 25 years but I wasn't originally from here, so I'm a transplant. I would say the exception is is you moved somewhere as a kid (younger than 18) - then I wouldn't consider you a transplant. If you weren't born and raised someplace, and you relocated there as an adult = transplant. IMHO.

Quote:
First ring suburb - SLP
I often see people here on C-D refer to "first ring suburbs," tiers, exurbs, etc. It's not common parlance where I live to refer to suburbs that way. You're either in a suburb or you're not. I assume first ring means immediately outside/next to the city of which it is a suburb - but how far out does the ring extend?

What is SLP?

Old 04-04-2017, 08:32 PM

SLP - St Louis Park

Old 04-04-2017, 09:06 PM

588 posts, read 562,222 times
Quote:
[*]Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

Yes. Not sure. More and more some of the social aspects are wearing on us and the pros are evening up with the cons the longer we are here. That being said, the YCs have been very good to us. And perhaps this phase too shall pass as in full disclosure, we are in a very tumultuous transitional year and have another coming in a few years.
I will be moving to the Twin Cities in a few weeks, and this caught my eye. I was wondering if you would be comfortable sharing a little more detail into how/what's wearing on you about the social aspect. Also, what are YC's? I've seen the discussions in the other threads regarding "Minnesota Nice"; and another poster discussed being conservative in a liberal town. Not sure if that's what you're referring to.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:34 PM

Sorry. First YCs is a typo - it should have been TCs (Twin Cities). I am hesitant to share about the social aspect because I think everyone should have their own experience; I think you create your reality in large part; and my Mn folks get really riled up at any criticism. That being said, it is a wonderful place to live, winter and all, but it is very insular and closed to outsiders. After 8 years, I have a few associates and no one I would return to visit here as I visit friends throughout the country elsewhere. In fact, I have friends since childhood scattered all over the country and have maintained those friendships for decades. Not here though. It is difficult to explain, but it s becoming more pronounced over time as some of the niceness wears away and the self righteousness, smugness and hypocrisy are more evident. However, on a surface level and as neighbors, absolutely lovely people. Just not as deep, close friends.

It helps if you are an introvert and are not in need of close friendships. If the opposite is true, then hopefully you have children as I think that engages other parents and you can kind of find some connections that way. If a single extrovert, I would probably recommend reconsidering.

Last edited by StilltheSame; 04-04-2017 at 10:04 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 09:35 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Not at all. I've lived in NYC for over 25 years but I wasn't originally from here, so I'm a transplant. I would say the exception is is you moved somewhere as a kid (younger than 18) - then I wouldn't consider you a transplant. If you weren't born and raised someplace, and you relocated there as an adult = transplant. IMHO.

I often see people here on C-D refer to "first ring suburbs," tiers, exurbs, etc. It's not common parlance where I live to refer to suburbs that way. You're either in a suburb or you're not. I assume first ring means immediately outside/next to the city of which it is a suburb - but how far out does the ring extend?

What is SLP?
It just means a suburb that borders either Mpls or St Paul.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:10 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,862 times
Quote:
Sorry. First YCs is a typo - it should have been TCs (Twin Cities). I am hesitant to share about the social aspect because I think everyone should have their own experience; I think you create your reality in large part; and my Mn folks get really riled up at any criticism. That being said, it is a wonderful place to live, winter and all, but it is very insular and closed to outsiders. After 8 years, I have a few associates and no one I would return to visit here as I visit friends throughout the country elsewhere. In fact, I have friends since childhood scattered all over the country and have maintained those friendships for decades. Not here though. It is difficult to explain, but it s becoming more pronounced over time as some of the niceness wears away and the self righteousness, smugness and hypocrisy are more evident. However, on a surface level and as neighbors, absolutely lovely people. Just not as deep, close friends.

It helps if you are an introvert and are not in need of close friendships. If the opposite is true, then hopefully you have children as I think that engages other parents and you can kind of find some connections that way. If a single extrovert, I would probably recommend reconsidering.
Or try a neighborhood in Minneapolis that has a much larger non-family, transplant population, like the North Loop or Uptown etc. Moving to the suburbs and being a single transplant would make it difficult to make many close friends. Just like if I was moving to say, Boston for example. I would move someplace in the City or Cambridge, not Newton or Lexington.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:42 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hello all,
I'm interested in hearing from people who have moved to Minneapolis or St. Paul from somewhere else. It doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been and where you were before, if you like. I'm looking for your subjective opinions and personal experiences, rather than collected data and statistics. Please share as little or as much detail as you want.

Minor Transplate here: Grew up in west-central MN, spent several years in Iowa, then to MN ~6 years ago.
  1. How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

Good, but different. First time living in a larger metro, compared to the farm country and college towns I was in. Its taken a while to get used to how long it takes to travel across a metro!

2. Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

Suburb - Maple Grove.

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

Yes (homeowner). I think our neighborhoods is one of the best values in the Metro, especially for families.

4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

Really easy for me, since most of where I need to be is on Hwy 610 and that road flows nice. I use a car all the time now. In a previous job and home, I took the train from Anoka to downtown Minneapolis.

The train was ok. Super nice and clean and comfortable, but limited schedule, so I was always a little worried about missing a train and missing the daycare pickup. Occasionally it would be full of drunken twins fans, which was somewhat entertaining.
  5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

Very happy...close, but not too close, to family (outstate MN), good career options for my wife and I, family-friendly community.
  6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

Outstanding. Since I have young children, you are far more likely to find me at a playground, but on the occasional date-night excursion to the core cities, there are great arts and culture options! Back to the MN Orchestra later this month for us and I can't wait!
  7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

I think its pretty reasonable for the amenities offered. My company pays pretty well for the industry no matter the location, and my wife is in a well-paid profession, so we're blessed in that we don't have to think about it a ton. Its always relative...MSP will look expensive compared to smaller midwestern or southern towns, but (suburbs especially) will look great compared to a lot of the coastal or resort regions of the country.
  8. What do you like best about the Twin Cities?

Career opportunities, lots of stuff to do with family (zoos, biking trails, museums, play areas, nature centers, etc), reasonable cost.

9. What do you like least?

Living in a suburb, I sometimes miss the energy of the college towns I spent over a decade in, as well as the simplicity of living in a town of ~100k people.

Also, since everyone always needs to weigh in on making friends or MN Nice: As a native minnesotan, but not a native twin cities person, I kind of get it. Its been a slow process to make some friends. Often that gets written off to the native's snobbiness, or false front, or something like that. But what I've found is that a lot of people in the TC have deep roots, with parents and siblings close by. Add to that a little bigger families that you'd be likely to find in some cities (3-4 kids seems to be a requirement in my church???) and people's lives are just rather full. I could name several people that I'd like to get to know better, but anytime we try to set something up, its just hard to work around the family events going on. Luckily, I'm on the introverted side, so I don't mind too much.

On the flip side: We've gotten to know 3-4 families (all non-TC natives) in our neighborhood really well and they are about the best friends you could ever ask for.

THANK YOU!
Responses above!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 AM

490 posts, read 623,877 times
My wife and I moved here from Sarasota, FL about 15 months ago.

How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

Other than the obvious climate differences it is overall more liberal and intellectual. Sarasota is a big retirement and vacation destination which probably isn't worth getting into the details of. Suffice to say it's a very different lifestyle down there.

I've had no problem making friends. People are very nice. I get a little of the "Minnesota Nice" thing but I think the concept is a bit misleading. I've come across a lot more "genuine nice" than the disingenuous kind.

Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

We are in the Victory neighborhood which is on the northwestern edge of Minneapolis.

Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

We rented an apartment for six months while we house hunted and eventually found a home we absolutely love. There aren't a lot of 100 year old homes in Florida We found a great Tudor that had some modern updates and added a few of our own. There is something we find comforting about a solid old home with some history.

a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

We drive and bike. This is one of the best biking cities in the country if you are into that. Driving is OK. Better than NY for sure. Events and construction can snarl things up. It's relative in my opinion. I've moved around a fair amount and I've never lived in a town where people didn't complain about the traffic.

Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

We love it here. My wife actually grew up here and is happy to have come home. I'm a pure transplant, originally from NYC. Minneapolis kind of reminds me of Brooklyn but less dense and more laid back. I think the nature of my wifes career might lead us to one more big move but I'd be perfectly happy if this was our final destination.

How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

Excellent. No doubt.

Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

I don't have a very firm sense of that. Some things are more, some are less. I haven't analyzed it closely. No tax on groceries and clothing is pretty nice.

What do you like best about the Twin Cities?

I'm a musician by trade and there is a vibrant music scene here. In Florida you wind up entertaining the tourists with the same old songs night after night. It is wonderful to be up north again after close to twenty years in the south. I'll take a cue from StillTheSame and skip the details.

What do you like least?

Snow. Until last Winter I hadn't seen ice outside of a drink in six years.

THANK YOU!

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul