Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:19 AM

150 posts, read 143,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
...First team in MLB history to lose 100+ and post season next year. Let that sink in.
Yup, On April 2nd, the Twins were given a 5% chance of making the playoffs, today it is 95%. It is nice to see how their odds have been progressing this season: see graph on MLB Postseason Projections

Last edited by Googol; 09-26-2017 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 04:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googol View Post
Yup, On April 2nd, the Twins were given a 5% chance of making the playoffs, today it is 95%. It is nice to see how their odds have been progressing this season: see graph on MLB Postseason Projections
...even as recently as August 5th (a little more than 7 weeks ago) they were at 4%

Old 09-26-2017, 07:35 AM

I like that the club is not standing pat in order to have the Mauerest team in baseball...

https://www.twinkietown.com/2017/9/2...ffrey-mauerest

Old 09-26-2017, 08:15 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Not a big fan of champagne celebrations for clinching a wild card spot, but when the Twins clinch this week they should party like it's 1999. This team lost 103 games last year and entered the season as a consensus to lose just as many or even more. I said before that Paul Molitor deserved to get some votes for AL manager of the year, but when you stop and look at what this team has accomplished - and the roster they did it with - I now believe Molitor should win it outright - no questions asked. I mean, think about it. Joe Mauer at the end of his career, playing out the string, and comes alive to hit over .300 once again. All star closer traded at the deadline. All star third baseman out with injury. Veteran starter acquired at deadline and traded after only one start. Two guys (Escobar and Polanco) who would be utility players on a lot of teams having career years on the left side of the infield. The only reason Dozier isn't lauded as the best 2nd baseman in the game is because Altuve is playing at the same time, but the fact remains he's incredible. Buxton couldn't hit a bull in the arse with a bass fiddle the first half of the season, but remained one of the best defensive center fielders in baseball and then began to come around and show what he can do offensively with power and blazing speed. He's gone from below the Mendoza line to about .260 in the span of about 3 months. Rosario has emerged as a flat out dangerous hitter. I especially love his power to all fields. The catching tandem wouldn't scare a mouse, but they handled the pitching staff wonderfully. Some guy named Robbie Grossman has one of the highest on base percentages in the league. Who is this guy? The rookie Berrios stepping up and claiming a spot in the rotation when they desperately needed someone to do so. That duece of his is a knee buckling bender! Kyle Gibson was Twins public enemy #1 in my book the first half. He was so bad that I was convinced I could sneak onto the field and take him deep in between everyone else doing so. But EVEN HE turned it around, and now boasts a winning record! He didn't listen to idiots like me, instead he kept working (and yes, he got tons of run support, but WHO CARES!). The starting rotation was so barren they had to sign 88 year old Bartolo Colon to get through the season, but even then they stayed in it. The bullpen ......I mean, I never heard of any of those guys. Who the heck are they? They're now the bullpen of a playoff team, that's who! They had to pitch a LOT of innings due to the lack of quality starters, and at one point it looked like they'd flounder..... but they stuck it out and got it done. Most importantly, all of these guys do what the Minnesota Twins have always been known for: Play solid, smart, fundamentally sound baseball. That goes a long way, baby, and the '17 Twins are such a great example of this.

WIN TWINS! A date at Yankee Stadium awaits. They own Minnesota this year, but it's one game.......and anything can happen! What an amazing season.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Not a big fan of champagne celebrations for clinching a wild card spot, but when the Twins clinch this week they should party like it's 1999. This team lost 103 games last year and entered the season as a consensus to lose just as many or even more. I said before that Paul Molitor deserved to get some votes for AL manager of the year, but when you stop and look at what this team has accomplished - and the roster they did it with - I now believe Molitor should win it outright - no questions asked. I mean, think about it. Joe Mauer at the end of his career, playing out the string, and comes alive to hit over .300 once again. All star closer traded at the deadline. All star third baseman out with injury. Veteran starter acquired at deadline and traded after only one start. Two guys (Escobar and Polanco) who would be utility players on a lot of teams having career years on the left side of the infield. The only reason Dozier isn't lauded as the best 2nd baseman in the game is because Altuve is playing at the same time, but the fact remains he's incredible. Buxton couldn't hit a bull in the arse with a bass fiddle the first half of the season, but remained one of the best defensive center fielders in baseball and then began to come around and show what he can do offensively with power and blazing speed. He's gone from below the Mendoza line to about .260 in the span of about 3 months. Rosario has emerged as a flat out dangerous hitter. I especially love his power to all fields. The catching tandem wouldn't scare a mouse, but they handled the pitching staff wonderfully. Some guy named Robbie Grossman has one of the highest on base percentages in the league. Who is this guy? The rookie Berrios stepping up and claiming a spot in the rotation when they desperately needed someone to do so. That duece of his is a knee buckling bender! Kyle Gibson was Twins public enemy #1 in my book the first half. He was so bad that I was convinced I could sneak onto the field and take him deep in between everyone else doing so. But EVEN HE turned it around, and now boasts a winning record! He didn't listen to idiots like me, instead he kept working (and yes, he got tons of run support, but WHO CARES!). The starting rotation was so barren they had to sign 88 year old Bartolo Colon to get through the season, but even then they stayed in it. The bullpen ......I mean, I never heard of any of those guys. Who the heck are they? They're now the bullpen of a playoff team, that's who! They had to pitch a LOT of innings due to the lack of quality starters, and at one point it looked like they'd flounder..... but they stuck it out and got it done. Most importantly, all of these guys do what the Minnesota Twins have always been known for: Play solid, smart, fundamentally sound baseball. That goes a long way, baby, and the '17 Twins are such a great example of this.

WIN TWINS! A date at Yankee Stadium awaits. They own Minnesota this year, but it's one game.......and anything can happen! What an amazing season.
The biggest difference between this team and recent teams is RUN production. Off every bat. I mean there is hardly a cold bat in the lineup and there hasn't been for a while.

I am old school, grew up playing hockey on the East Side, so I don't like to see celebrations at all in any sport until you've won it all, but I get that the MLB is an absolute GRIND with all the games they play and making post season is a tremendous accomplishment. The Wild Card kind of dilutes it with the gimmicky play-in game, but they are there, simple and plain. They win now, they can actually win a WC.

First team ever to get to PS after 100+ losses, but there must be an asterisk applied being that it's the gimmicky play-in wild card. Nevertheless it's still be a fun year to watch the Twins.

I still feel like there is little interest in this team, for whatever reason. But I've been on board all along and always will be.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:00 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Tonight's 8-6 win over Cleveland was HUGE! Just one more win by the Twins or a loss by their closest contenders, the Angels, and they have clinched a wild card spot. Hopefully, that happens tomorrow. Then they can rest some starters before playing the Yankees in New York.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:25 PM

150 posts, read 143,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Tonight's 8-6 win over Cleveland was HUGE! Just one more win by the Twins or a loss by their closest contenders, the Angels, and they have clinched a wild card spot. Hopefully, that happens tomorrow. Then they can rest some starters before playing the Yankees in New York.
That 3 run HR by Dozier in the 8th to take the lead was sweet!

Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
I had to listen to the homer on the radio as I was working...but before Doz hit it I said to myself he was going to blast one out.

I am waiting to see the highlights.

I know the Twins don't have a realistic chance against the best team in baseball (Cleveland) in a 7 game series, but it would be good for this young club to get in the ALDS for the experience. They are good. We're just missing a legit pitcher (or two) and we're going to be a force to reckon with.

Can't believe Cleveland has only lost a few games in their last 30. That's just insane.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 AM

it isn't too much beyond the realm of possibility that the Yankees pick up 3 games and overtake the Bosox for the East Pennant. Or better yet, they tie and have a tie-breaker on Monday. Minnesota has never lost to a Boston team, in the playoffs.... in any sport.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:45 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it isn't too much beyond the realm of possibility that the Yankees pick up 3 games and overtake the Bosox for the East Pennant. Or better yet, they tie and have a tie-breaker on Monday. Minnesota has never lost to a Boston team, in the playoffs.... in any sport.
Screw that, I want New York. Every bit of the pressure will be on them to win, and if the Twins can beat them there would be no price tag anyone could put on the faces in that stadium......not to mention the echoing howls of despair you'd hear from the media outlets banking on the Yankees for playoff ratings. I'll gladly risk playing NY over Boston for the wee chance at all of that!

Plus, playing Boston in the wild card game could mean eventually seeing NY in a series. I like Minnesota's chances much more against them in a single game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul