Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 01:05 PM

64 posts, read 40,475 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

I live in California, and I like it here, I really do. However, the brutal 8-9 month summer of 2016 combined with ridiculous cost of living is making me want to look elsewhere. My brother lives in the NE part of the Metro(has for decades) and has been hinting I should consider moving out there. I have been looking at Portland/Vancouver primarily, but he's gotten me thinking about the Minneapolis metro.

I'm a tech worker. I can nerd out for money most places, and do remote work. There seem to be plenty of jobs there.

I hate heat. Apparently, my ticker does, too. Right now I spend a lot of time indoors in air conditioning. Once things get to about 80, I have to take shelter. Last year, I was indoors from late February to Early November.

I love the cold. I respect it, but I love it all the same.

Total geek. Give me my scifi, literature, gaming, programming, movies, the whole shebang. Like many geeks, educated.

Something of a centrist. Socially progressive, and let me keep my firearms. Keep religion out of politics.

Not Christian. Not militant, but Christian iconography everywhere creeps me out.

I love concerts and live music. I'm a bit bummed I haven't been able to see the museum and culture scene there yet.

Kinda have to have medical care handy. I have a rare condition and an unusual presentation of it at that. My brother has been selling me on Mayo. Is it all that?

I can't really do well with public transportation, but I drive fine.

I used to be a serious foodie. Now I'm a more diet-restricted foodie, but I like cuisine all the same.

Given some of what my brother has told me, I am looking for somewhere in the Columbia Heights or Roseville area. Think I can make a fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 01:26 PM

91 posts, read 119,143 times
A few points:
-There are tech jobs available
-Many are socially progressive here , lots of centrists. People often keep politics to themelves.
-Music scene is amazing, so many great live shows and venues
-Outstanding medical care, not just Mayo, which is world class.
-Great food scene

Columbia Heights is up and coming, moderate home prices, it's a diverse working class inner ring suburb. Roseville is nice, prices tend to be higher for homes.
Good luck!

Old 04-12-2017, 01:28 PM

264 posts, read 313,889 times
"Given some of what my brother has told me, I am looking for somewhere in the Columbia Heights or Roseville area. Think I can make a fit?"

Well, Roseville is quite a bit (or at least feels) more suburban and affluent compared to Columbia Heights. Out of curiousity, why limit oneself to these 2 particular areas? You should be fine in most neighborhoods of Minneapolis and St. Paul, and many first-ring suburbs.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:49 PM

64 posts, read 40,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoyd View Post
"Given some of what my brother has told me, I am looking for somewhere in the Columbia Heights or Roseville area. Think I can make a fit?"

Well, Roseville is quite a bit (or at least feels) more suburban and affluent compared to Columbia Heights. Out of curiousity, why limit oneself to these 2 particular areas? You should be fine in most neighborhoods of Minneapolis and St. Paul, and many first-ring suburbs.
They're the ones I'm more familiar with, really. The places we tend to visit are in that area. I don't know the rest of the metro, but I see your point -- I should take a wider tour of it. Additionally, when moving there I would have no support network, and having family nearby lends me at least a small one until I can establish my own.

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM

369 posts, read 633,442 times
I actually live in Northeast Minneapolis itself, which is right below Columbia Heights and right next to Roseville. It's great up-and-coming neighborhood of Minneapolis. Gentrifying, but still lots of diversity. We bought a house in Northeast 3 years ago and have loved living here.

I don't think Roseville is that affluent (not compared to Edina or Minnetonka which is the South/West side). You'll probably like living in Minneapolis or St. Paul themselves... the suburbs tend to get more Christian and more right-wing the further out you go. The food, culture and music are also just more accessible if you actually live in the city.

The cold is COLD. It's basically the exact opposite of California heat. It's not just "brrr, let me get a jacket" it's "OMG I'm cold even inside my house wearing a jacket" kind of cold.

FWIW, I grew up in Portland, and am quite happy here in Minneapolis. It's a little less walkable than Portland, and the weather is quite different, but overall I feel they have a lot of similarities.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:12 PM

264 posts, read 313,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faranbrygo View Post
They're the ones I'm more familiar with, really. The places we tend to visit are in that area. I don't know the rest of the metro, but I see your point -- I should take a wider tour of it. Additionally, when moving there I would have no support network, and having family nearby lends me at least a small one until I can establish my own.

Thanks!
If you have family in these areas, I don't believe you have to be right in those as well - it is a short or at least a reasonable jaunt from either to Northeast Minneapolis, Saint Anthony, both UofM campuses, Como area, or, if you prefer more suburban, Fridley/New Brighton/Arden Hills etc. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul