Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:52 PM

512 posts, read 473,985 times

Advertisements

I live in the Milwaukee metro area, one of the most segregated metro areas in America.

*Is Minneapolis-St. Paul racially segregated (like, are the minorities concentrated in one area?)? Are the neighborhoods integrated?

*Is there a solid black middle class in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 06:28 PM

79 posts, read 85,714 times
Whew, you're leading the witness on this one, and I think you're asking the wrong questions. I will, however, attempt to answer your questions as they are relevant, but are not necessarily based on ethnicity alone. Minneapolis and St Paul both have ethnically segregated areas. These segregated areas typically consist of low-income people. Income is the primary separation tool used in the metro areas. People, of all races, with higher incomes, are welcome in all parts of the metro. You won't find a "solid" African-American middle or upper class in any one segment, as the folks here who have money typically coalesce within existing upper-class suburbs (or luxury high-rises, if city living fits their lifestyle(s) better).

As far as neighborhood integration goes, again, income is the primary factor which determines whether or not someone will be welcome in a neighborhood. There are plenty of working-class suburbs and areas in the metro which are ethnically diverse. To this end, if you're a middle-class family, you'll have plenty of options from which to choose for your lifestyle.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 AM

256 posts, read 286,995 times
^Agreed with the above, for the most part. All the "generalized racial biases" that exist elsewhere in the US are going to be present, but the Twin Cities are by no means "more racist" than anywhere else. You see lots of mixed-race couples, especially among folks under 40. The main divider in terms of "segregated areas" really does seem to be income, as ArcLyte suggests. Unfortunately that often does manifest itself along racial lines, but at the same time people of all races who are "middle class" (whatever that means in modern America) live in almost all areas of the cities (the exception being the parts with the huge mansions... no "middle class" there, I'm assuming )

Old 05-20-2017, 08:17 AM

182 posts, read 197,285 times
I try to be optimistic, but then I read the comments following any article with even a hint of a racial undertone published by the Pioneer Press and I lose any hope for better times to come. I haven't seen anything so overtly racist in any MSM publication, and that's following the culling done by the moderator. I guess we can hope that the trolls don't actually live here, but I fear they do.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 AM

256 posts, read 286,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathedralhill1 View Post
I try to be optimistic, but then I read the comments following any article with even a hint of a racial undertone published by the Pioneer Press and I lose any hope for better times to come. I haven't seen anything so overtly racist in any MSM publication, and that's following the culling done by the moderator. I guess we can hope that the trolls don't actually live here, but I fear they do.
Well, that's why I said "any more racist than anywhere else" in my post. Of course there are racist pieces of crap everywhere, along with people who preface their diatribe of 10 things they hate about black people with "I'm not a racist, but....."

The comments section of any paper/magazine/whatever is going to be a cesspool of trolls emboldened by anonymity, but (luckily?) it's not a representative breakdown of an area's opinions, necessarily. I tend to think of it like online reviews of hotels/shopping/etc.: most people aren't going to bother saying anything unless they're already angry. Similarly, most people aren't going to bother getting into it with trolls in a comments section, and just abandon them to their ignorance.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:56 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I live in the Milwaukee metro area, one of the most segregated metro areas in America.

*Is Minneapolis-St. Paul racially segregated (like, are the minorities concentrated in one area?)? Are the neighborhoods integrated?

*Is there a solid black middle class in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area?
BLM?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
BLM?
I asked two questions. Just answer them. There's no need for the sarcasm.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:47 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Including the title of the post, you asked four questions. I numbered them for clarity.
Quote:

Thread: 1. What are race relations like in the Minneapolis- St Paul Metro area?

2.*Is Minneapolis-St. Paul racially segregated (like, are the minorities concentrated in one area?)? 3.Are the neighborhoods integrated?

4.*Is there a solid black middle class in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area?

Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 AM

Why must people on this thread behave so condescendingly and judge me from afar for asking simple questions? Just answer them instead of accusing me of being a member of a black KKK group just for looking out for my best interests.

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 05-21-2017 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 11:18 AM

588 posts, read 562,222 times
Quote:
I'm leaving this thread because you people are behaving condescendingly and judging me from afar for asking simple questions.

You may want to edit your post (if you still can)....it is against C-D's TOS to post "I'm leaving" comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul