Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:33 PM

264 posts, read 311,269 times

Advertisements

I would consider Bloomington as a compromise between AV/Lakeville and Uptown - yes, Bloomington is suburban, but as an older suburb, it has a variety of housing and neighborhoods, nice parks and trails, its own community center/theater, and it is approximately halfway between Minneapolis and Lakeville. Schools in West Bloomington are considered [by whom?] pretty good, too.

You will be commuting against the traffic, as pointed out above, which helps a lot.

Basically, I think it boils down to one's tolerance/preference for suburban living vs. tolerance for longer commutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 05:15 PM

878 posts, read 1,197,534 times
Another FL to MN transplant here-- welcome!

As others mentioned, the roads are cleared almost immediately-- and I concur with StillTheSame, that you might want to minimize your work commute and that, even in the 'burbs, your commute to restaurants/clubs on nights and weekends will be short and/or a fairly reasonable Uber ride.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:06 PM

12 posts, read 13,502 times
Thanks everyone!! As of today, I have officially taken the job in Lakeville, so ill look in the Apple Valley area. I don't mind suburbia as long as I can get into the cities on the weekend. Would y'all prefer Eagan or Apple Valley? I haven't heard anyone speak of Burnsville.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:13 PM

256 posts, read 284,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav13 View Post
Thanks everyone!! As of today, I have officially taken the job in Lakeville, so ill look in the Apple Valley area. I don't mind suburbia as long as I can get into the cities on the weekend. Would y'all prefer Eagan or Apple Valley? I haven't heard anyone speak of Burnsville.
The town I work in is adjacent to Burnsville and, well, there's a reason we chose to stay in Minneapolis and not move down there But, if you don't mind suburbia, it could be a good option. Of course, if it were me, I'd just suck it up for the longer commute and still live in Mpls Burnsville is technically closer to Lakeville, but not "closer enough" to justify it for me.... but you might be fine with it. For the record, Burnsville's one of those suburbs where --for what it's worth-- the demographics are slowly changing, so there are "good areas" and "bad areas", but none of them are really "bad", if you know what I mean. Like, don't think Chicago-style gangland shootings, or whatever; more like, "slightly more run-down, but still not that bad." And the "good areas" have some pretty nice neighborhoods, if you don't mind McMansions

Old 06-02-2017, 10:00 PM

369 posts, read 630,181 times
I'd pick Eagan. Or even Bloomington and split the difference between the cities and Lakeville. If you're renting, at least you're only stuck a year and can switch 'burbs or head in the cities next year.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:16 AM

367 posts, read 539,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav13 View Post
Apple Valley and Eagan have similar vibes and are both very nice suburbs. Eagan skews a bit older and is closer to the central cities. They both offer quick commutes to Lakeville, although Apple Valley is closer since it shares a border with that town.

Burnsville isn't bad but honestly, I'd choose Eagan, Apple Valley, or Lakeville as Burnsville doesn't offer any additional amenities in my opinion that makes it worth considering over the other communities.

Again, it all comes down to your personal preferences. Many people on this board favor the urban core and don't recommend living in outer areas, but the truth is that the Twin Cities has some fantastic suburbs and the south metro in particular has great communities. All of the towns you're considering are nice places to live and offer easy access to Minneapolis and St. Paul for weekend excursions.

If you can, try and take a trip here and explore the areas - both Minneapolis proper and Eagan/Apple Valley/Lakeville - so you can make a choice that best works for you. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul