Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 AM

64 posts, read 40,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
It's a shame that this tragedy has opened the door to the cop haters, the race baiters, and to thinly veiled racist comments from the anti-immigrant crowd. This thread has really gotten pretty disgusting.
It tells me a great deal about the character of the posters in the metro I am considering moving to. I understand that they are a small but diverse slice of the area, but it does bring into better relief what I could have to deal with. Aside from avoiding the police, it seems.

Having a father who was police, and going through awareness, arrest, search, and seizure training myself, I have NO pity and NO mercy in my heart for police who shoot unarmed citizens. The rules of engagement I was taught were very strict, and designed to protect everyone, not just the officer.

I also know how hideously racist police organizations can be. For better or worse, I judge on that standard unless proven otherwise, given how damn pervasive it is.

The Minnesota shootings show to me a flaw in their training and recruitment, and they are putting unqualified and flatly hazardous people on the streets, armed. They have no business being there, and the metro needs to seriously revise their training programs and selection criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:19 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,954,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faranbrygo View Post
It tells me a great deal about the character of the posters in the metro I am considering moving to. I understand that they are a small but diverse slice of the area, but it does bring into better relief what I could have to deal with. Aside from avoiding the police, it seems.

Having a father who was police, and going through awareness, arrest, search, and seizure training myself, I have NO pity and NO mercy in my heart for police who shoot unarmed citizens. The rules of engagement I was taught were very strict, and designed to protect everyone, not just the officer.

I also know how hideously racist police organizations can be. For better or worse, I judge on that standard unless proven otherwise, given how damn pervasive it is.

The Minnesota shootings show to me a flaw in their training and recruitment, and they are putting unqualified and flatly hazardous people on the streets, armed. They have no business being there, and the metro needs to seriously revise their training programs and selection criteria.
don't move here if you are put off by shoot-happy cops

Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,702,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Well, of course, that is the first thing that confused me when I heard the story this morning. Also that he shot her through the driver side door! Why was the gun drawn? It almost sounds like an accident. Clearly police vehicles need to be reinforced that a bullet cannot penetrate from inside the vehicle
Stand by for hearing lose work comp claim from the driver......

Old 07-19-2017, 10:15 AM

588 posts, read 559,691 times
Quote:

The Assistant Chief of Police said in the news conference last night that Minneapolis police officers have all been trained utilizing the 21st Century Policing policy implemented by Obama.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:36 AM

70 posts, read 101,073 times
Quote:

To imply that that does not exist in the SF Bay area is hugely disingenuous and naïve on your part.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:16 PM

11,990 posts, read 8,324,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
don't move here if you are put off by shoot-happy cops
Again, just to help people put things in perspective here, please have a glance at this map of the states and the number of people shot and killed by police officers this year:

https://mic.com/articles/122161/one-...ear#.2aVIaRKkx

MN with five deaths hardly shows up on the radar compared to California's 95, Texas's 64 or Florida's 43. MN is pretty safe. My suggestion to people would be if you want to be safe stay out of the cities of any state. They're a mess.

Considering that the death rate by gun of law enforcement officers has risen by 56% this year I'd say Minnesota's officers are still exercising restraint in spite of the fear they must have considering the hostility shown them and their profession.

And the usual personal disclaimer for the awfulizers - No, not one single death is okay. That's my stance but I have no hope of reaching that goal because people screw up all the time.

Those who are expecting perfection will have a long wait, I'm afraid.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:26 PM

11,990 posts, read 8,324,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Stand by for hearing lose work comp claim from the driver......
I was thinking about that also. That had to do a number on the hearing of both men in the car.

At least the driver won't have to do his job with a quick-on-the-trigger economics major watching his back anymore. That must be a relief.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:31 PM

2,571 posts, read 2,054,754 times
This is something I did not know about the particular body camera that the MPD uses ...

"'When an officer puts on an Axon body worn camera, they're already turned on. But they're only turned on recording in what's called the buffer mode,' said Steve Tuttle a spokesman for Axon, the company which makes the cameras used by Minneapolis police.

In buffer mode the cameras record on a 30-second loop. So for instance, if an officer observes someone run a traffic light, they can turn on the camera after the fact. And as long as they did it within 30 seconds, they will have the video of that person running the red light.

According to the BCA, Noor and Harrity turned on their cameras later, but not in enough time to record the shooting."

The company is also rolling out a feature which keep it running past 30 seconds with a sensor attached to the holster, activated when the holstered firearm is drawn.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/0...e-body-cameras

Old 07-19-2017, 02:01 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,913,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Again, just to help people put things in perspective here, please have a glance at this map of the states and the number of people shot and killed by police officers this year:

https://mic.com/articles/122161/one-...ear#.2aVIaRKkx

When I pulled up your link I got an article dated July 13, 2015.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:08 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,175,025 times
The shooting of this woman put Minneapolis police in the international news in a negative way. Australian leaders are demanding answers. It is tragic regardless, just mentioning an extra complication. Maybe that outside pressure is needed to bring about change. Right now Noor and his partner are on a paid vacation. His partner confirmed in the BCA interview that he shot an unarmed woman, so we definitely have some facts.

It will never be perfect, but it is certainly not asking too much that unarmed citizens that call the police for assistance not be shot! I thought everyone in the thread would agree that this one was simply inexcusable. It really is a no brainer. A few people will defend a reckless officer regardless of the circumstances.

We have to be fair to everyone, to the police officers but also to innocent law abiding citizens. Some people seem to only be concerned about fairness to the officer in these cases.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-19-2017 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul