Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:43 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times

Advertisements

The shootings on the night of July 8 behind the home in the 3800 block of Queen Avenue N. also were captured nearly in their entirety on residential surveillance video, which Jennifer LeMay, the dogs' owner, posted on Facebook, quickly leading to hundreds of thousands of views.
The Police Department has yet to take a position on officer Michael Mays' actions while he responded to a false security alarm call at the house, only noting that he is under investigation and that officers will be trained on how to best handle encounters with dogs.

Graphic body cam video shows officer shooting dogs in Minneapolis yard - StarTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:05 PM

340 posts, read 608,955 times
WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH ALL THESE TRIGGER HAPPY COPS?!?! Those dogs were obviously NOT aggressive AT ALL!!!

You know pretty soon people aren't even going to bother EVER calling the cops anymore. Why call the cops when you know they may very well shoot you or your loved ones? Absolutely disgusting. I have always been respectful of law enforcement, but ENOUGH ALREADY!! This is NOT okay!!!

Old 07-20-2017, 10:02 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times
What did he expect the dogs to do? You are a stranger coming into his yard. A dog is going to come to any stranger. This cop deserves jail time and more.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH ALL THESE TRIGGER HAPPY COPS?!?! Those dogs were obviously NOT aggressive AT ALL!!!

You know pretty soon people aren't even going to bother EVER calling the cops anymore. Why call the cops when you know they may very well shoot you or your loved ones? Absolutely disgusting. I have always been respectful of law enforcement, but ENOUGH ALREADY!! This is NOT okay!!!
It's the training they receive from our Israeli overlords:

U.S. Police Routinely Travel to Israel to Learn Methods of Brutality and Repression

Someone should tell these guys we're not Palestinians.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:00 AM

370 posts, read 902,959 times
Andy had the same problem with Barney and he reduced him to keeping a single bullet in his shirt pocket. If the reference is too obscure just drop the sentence in Google.

There were (of course) several huge threads on Reddit, and one comment from a postman suggested that the first dog looked relatively submissive and the second was just trying to figure out what was going on. I'm pretty sure that they don't arm postal carriers and that pepper spray would have done the job just as well (Alaskan locals use it for bears for crying out loud). I do think cops in the twin cities should probably consider options other than spraying bullets, as seems the case. But I'm not a cop or a mail carrier.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:05 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
The shootings on the night of July 8 behind the home in the 3800 block of Queen Avenue N. also were captured nearly in their entirety on residential surveillance video, which Jennifer LeMay, the dogs' owner, posted on Facebook, quickly leading to hundreds of thousands of views.
The Police Department has yet to take a position on officer Michael Mays' actions while he responded to a false security alarm call at the house, only noting that he is under investigation and that officers will be trained on how to best handle encounters with dogs.

Graphic body cam video shows officer shooting dogs in Minneapolis yard - StarTribune.com
I have some degree of sympathy with the officer's reaction to the dogs. They are pit bulls, after all. And he was in their territory, which only increased the likelihood that a dog will be aggressive. It should be noted that the officer didn't just wander pointlessly into the yard - he was summoned there by the homeowner's security system, which was falsely triggered by the homeowner.

Now, that said...

The first dog was wagging its tail, which is the international signal for "I wanna be petted and slobber all over you!". The second dog didn't appear all that interested until the first shot was fired.

So, yeah, I think there should be more of a standard than IF A DOG COMES NEAR YOU, KILL IT.

But, beyond that there's the falsifying of the report by the officer. That first dog absolutely did not charge, and I think it's a stretch to call the second dog's approach a charge as well. He lied and he knew he lied when he was forced to change his story - ooops, I mean 'file a supplemental report'.

Had he just shot the dogs, I'd be inclined to support disciplinary measures and remedial training. Falsifying the report? He no longer deserves the public trust and should be cut loose - and not rehired by the next PD down the road. But I'll be highly surprised if that happens.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,620 times
My take from watching the video is that 1st dogs body language was submissive.
And the cop had no right to shoot at these dogs.
Jerk

Old 07-21-2017, 07:55 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
I had a game warden of all people climb over my fence, shoot my geriatric german shepard with advanced hip problems then stomp on 2 of my roosters because he said they attacked him all because he was trying to shoot a dog that someone said was bothering the deer.
And it all made perfect sense to him and his supervisors.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:02 PM

89 posts, read 119,809 times
Why didn't the owner put the dogs away? She knew the cops were coming over.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:51 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyechick View Post
Why didn't the owner put the dogs away? She knew the cops were coming over.
She didn't know they were coming. She thought her mother had called them to tell them it was a false alarm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: