U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 7,963 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I moved to Sartell from NV three years ago and we are in serious need of suggestions on somewhere we can move, because I can't live here any more. My husband is a professor at SCSU. I am an attorney. I currently stay at home with our 2.5 yo twins, but would like to go back to work eventually in some capacity. St. Cloud/Sartell do not work for us because there is nothing to do here. No culture, no museums, no good dining, not much shopping, and we are way too far from the airport (my family visits every 8 weeks). Additionally it seems like people have never lived anywhere else and are generally unfriendly and too conservative politically for us. Finally, we are Jewish and would really like to find an accessible Jewish community, as there are basically no Jews here.

As my husband will be doing a reverse commute, we are currently strongly considering Maple Grove and Plymouth. We are somewhat thinking about Blaine or St Michael. Schools are our number one priority, and we would like his commute to be not much more than an hour each way. Any other suggestions? Places to avoid? Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:41 AM

264 posts, read 229,843 times
If you are willing to tolerate a commute that is about 1 hour under ideal conditions but can be longer, even with the reverse traffic, you could look into the wealthy suburbs on the western edge of the metro - Wayzata, Orono, Medina.

There are also well regarded public charter schools (names escape me at the moment) in Plymouth/Maple Grove, if you are not happy with the assigned public schools and willing to consider that option.

My personal opinion is that a place like Blaine or St Michael will be too similar to where you are know. But it will be a somewhat shorter commute to St Cloud compared to Wayzata/Orono/Medina.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Thank you!! Hadn't considered those and will look now. Appreciate it.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:05 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,713,436 times
Right now, it's one hour twenty minutes from my house in liberal south Minneapolis to SCSU. I wouldn't take on a commute like that but there are plenty of people on this forum who would say it's not a problem.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 AM

264 posts, read 229,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Right now, it's one hour twenty minutes from my house in liberal south Minneapolis to SCSU. I wouldn't take on a commute like that but there are plenty of people on this forum who would say it's not a problem.
(Not to hijack the thread, but...) is your area leaning progressive liberal or regressive liberal [NYT]?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Status: "Presidents don't need to know how to read!" (set 3 days ago)

21,841 posts, read 22,780,369 times
Cambridge, MN (about 45 min E of SCSU) may be worth looking into. They have a developing arts scene centered around the Cambridge Center of The Arts tho some of these event announcements have seemed to dry up a bit, not sure if that is related to their move or something else.

Real Estate is stupid cheap and I recently recall seeing a multi-acreage home right on the Rum River within walking distance to downtown for somewhere in the mid $100K region.

Don't know of any Synagogues in town.

There has been a number on wineries that have sprung up here and there and there is a highly regarded pottery business nearby... Matthew Krousey CeramicsMatthew Krousey Ceramics along with many other craftsmen and craftswomen and new businesses springing up.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:48 PM

30,521 posts, read 2,701,778 times
Cambridge? You are joking, right? If the St. Cloud area doesn't satisfy the OP for culture, etc. Cambridge sure as heck won't. A "developing arts scene" in a town of under 9,000 people is hardly a big draw going by what the OP described in her opening post.

With all of the insults the OP wrote about the St. Cloud/Sartell area I think the only place in Minnesota she'll be somewhat happy is somewhere in the cities or its suburbs.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Not trying to be insulting to St Cloud, geebabe, it's just a really bad fit for us and was trying to explain why, in hopes that people who are much more familiar with the area could help us find a better fit.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:22 PM

30,521 posts, read 2,701,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeseandben View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Not trying to be insulting to St Cloud, geebabe, it's just a really bad fit for us and was trying to explain why, in hopes that people who are much more familiar with the area could help us find a better fit.
I do understand you trying to explain, really I do. I think you also described a lot of the state, not just St. Cloud and Sartell. Haha! And that's fine too.

It is why I think you and your family will find the cities and the surrounding area/suburbs more to your liking. Hey, nothing wrong with that and it's great to know what you like and don't like. The only reason I posted in the first place was because of the suggestion of Cambridge. No offense to that town, but... umm, no, not a good fit from what you described. (IMO)

Best wishes with your search!

Old 08-02-2017, 02:30 PM

7,453 posts, read 13,100,907 times
My suggestion - ditch the SCSU job for a teaching job in a major metropolitan area. The University of Minnesota would be a good choice, then you could live in the city and barely have to worry about the commute. I agree with Glenfield on this. For me commuting from the Twin Cities to St. Cloud is hideous. As much as I don't like St. Cloud I'd still way rather live there than deal with that commute every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or