Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:50 PM

256 posts, read 287,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Downtowns tend to be safe, but look bad because the stats are based on land area or resident population only. A true per-capita analysis would include hotel guests, worker population, shoppers, etc., whoever is around at a given time of day -- a huge increase in the denominator. But that would be hard to do, so these things tend to be half-assed.

Excellent point. In most residential areas, the gross number of human beings hanging around for any amount of time in a 24 hour period is pretty close to the number of people who live there; when it comes to downtown(s), not only can this number fluctuate wildly, but as you say, the true number of people in a downtown at any point during the day is going to include not just residents, but workers, travellers, shoppers, and so on. Great post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 10:53 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursicinus View Post
Excellent point. In most residential areas, the gross number of human beings hanging around for any amount of time in a 24 hour period is pretty close to the number of people who live there; when it comes to downtown(s), not only can this number fluctuate wildly, but as you say, the true number of people in a downtown at any point during the day is going to include not just residents, but workers, travellers, shoppers, and so on. Great post
In the 1950's there were more people downtown and far, far less crime.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:44 AM

413 posts, read 789,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It probably depends what crimes. There were likely fewer shootings, but let's not put on some Nostalgic rose-colored glasses.

The Gateway District was such a huge, blighted slum that the city bulldozed and redeveloped that entire 70 acre chunk of downtown Minneapolis beginning in the late 1950's.

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-po...owntown-blight

Old 08-28-2017, 10:01 PM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Downtown, maybe. Elsewhere in the city was another story. For one thing, organized crime in Minneapolis was a much bigger deal back then.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:05 PM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
The Gateway District was such a huge, blighted slum that the city bulldozed and redeveloped that entire 70 acre chunk of downtown Minneapolis beginning in the late 1950's.
Oh yeah, this too.

I think people who haven't read much about the era would be very surprised to know what Minneapolis and St. Paul were like from, say, the 20's through the 60's.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:31 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
The area south of downtown and east of uptown that you mentioned is the Central/Powderhorn area and I agree, it can be pretty sketchy but it's not ghetto by any means. The real bad parts are north Minneapolis and I haven't been there and I don't plan on it, as I would have no reason to.

Downtown Minneapolis can get sketchy at night especially if you are by yourself. But I think as long as you don't cause or look for trouble you should be fine. There's no other part of Minneapolis in my opinion and in my experience, that feels dangerous at all. Aside from some areas it feels safer than most US cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul