Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times

Advertisements

So you hear a lot of talk about neighborhoods "on the upswing" or being the "most up and coming" neighborhoods in Mpls/ St. Paul or surrounding area in terms of popularity/ desirability/ upward mobility. If one forgets about the current metrowide slow-down to home sales and general decrease in property values, what are people's votes for neighborhoods they feel are 'moving on up' in the world? (although I always disagreed to an extent, I used to hear Northeast listed in this category a lot).

And as a related secondary question- if you were planning on real estate investing in today's market, what neighborhood would you choose/ feel has the most potential to earn dividends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 01:10 AM

138 posts, read 627,535 times
Here's the scoop from Chris Gallar, one of the Minnesota Association of Realtor gurus...based on statistics, demographics for home buyers are changing. There will be one or two person households in the future. This is just a tiny snapshot of what's to come. Therefore, my thoughts are that Minneapolis proper will prosper. The "big boxes" in the affluent suburbs are going to sit empty much longer than, let's say, a town home or a condo.

If I had a personal choice, I'd love to have a quaint 2 bedroom single family home in southwest. I am in that demographic and will not exceed it. (Hopefully!) ~ Jeanie

Old 03-19-2008, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 10,302 times
I would have to say the the Mills district is one of the most exciting areas in the cities right now. If you have not driven along Washington Ave lately, I'd encourage you to take a drive andf check things out. The guthrie recently moved here, there's the new gold Medal Park, Mill city Museum, and the McPhail Center of the arts just opened last fall. The bridgewater lofts replaced the old Liquor Depot and there's the new aLoft hotel and Zenith condo's (phase 1) which are expected to open later this year.

I have lived in thei area for 7 years now and many people still think it's littered with block after block of surface parking. Things have really changed.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:52 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
The Liquor Depot ruled. Boo to gentrification.

Powderhorn has turned around quite a bit. There will probably be more development in Whittier in the coming years similar to the Franklin-Nicollet intersection.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:39 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
I'm not a fan of wanton gentrification. However, the Liquor Depot was on prime real estate. I would rather have $500,000 condos than asphalt parking lots and a liquor store. It really isn't gentrification if there was so little there in the first place. Plus, since the people who promote gentification can move there instead of into Whitter or Powderhorn.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 PM

17 posts, read 48,028 times
Elliot Park seems to be at a crossroads right now, but will probably be completely gentrified within the next 10-15 years.
As far as St. Paul goes, if the Central Corridor LRT actually gets built, expect gentrification to hit the Midway or Frogtown.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:54 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco84 View Post
Elliot Park seems to be at a crossroads right now, but will probably be completely gentrified within the next 10-15 years.
As far as St. Paul goes, if the Central Corridor LRT actually gets built, expect gentrification to hit the Midway or Frogtown.
I disagree with this statement - as a former resident I loved Elliot Park, but it serves too great of a need for affordable housing and residential health facilities in the area, and IMO there are way too many slumlords that will be too unwilling to give up any of their properties and/or perform any of the needed repairs/ renovations for their buildings to "gentrify".

Old 03-27-2008, 04:57 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmgray View Post
I would have to say the the Mills district is one of the most exciting areas in the cities right now. If you have not driven along Washington Ave lately, I'd encourage you to take a drive andf check things out. The guthrie recently moved here, there's the new gold Medal Park, Mill city Museum, and the McPhail Center of the arts just opened last fall. The bridgewater lofts replaced the old Liquor Depot and there's the new aLoft hotel and Zenith condo's (phase 1) which are expected to open later this year.

I have lived in thei area for 7 years now and many people still think it's littered with block after block of surface parking. Things have really changed.
Any decent studio apartments in the area? Near a grocery store? (No car.)

Old 03-27-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I disagree with this statement - as a former resident I loved Elliot Park, but it serves too great of a need for affordable housing and residential health facilities in the area, and IMO there are way too many slumlords that will be too unwilling to give up any of their properties and/or perform any of the needed repairs/ renovations for their buildings to "gentrify".
I see that too; but quite a bit of Elliot Park is gone. Once the parking lots are infilled, it will be economic for those slum lords to sell.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Any decent studio apartments in the area? Near a grocery store? (No car.)
The Mill Area doesn't have a lot of everyday retail within the area. The nearest grocery store is across the river. I would be hesitant to live there sans car. Loring Park or the downtown core would be more convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul