Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
What's going on in the South Metro? First the murders in the South Mpls, another murder in Richfield recently, and now a murder in Rosemount, MN:

Stabbed Rosemount teen wanted to talk about a girl

kare11.com :: KARE 11 TV - Teen in custody for Rosemount's first murder

These articles state that this is Rosemount's first murder - if that is the case, it's definitely not the first time a Rosemountian has been convicted of murder. In 1998 a Rosemount resident/burglar beat a Liberian immigrant to death while robbing his home: High court upholds Rosemount man's murder conviction.
And the City of Rosemount's website does report increases in Part 1 (serious) crimes in recent years, despite the misleading title of this page: City of Rosemount -- Crime statistics show Rosemount remains a very safe community.
It goes to show that even suburbs can have crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 08:21 AM

55 posts, read 305,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Overusage of police resources and wasting officers time. Very common. To be honest, MN isn't the only place where this happens. It's all over. Someone called the police on me because I was on campus at 2AM. I suspect it was a freaked out citizen.
You're 100% right!!! The same happened to me too back then!!! Not in the university, though... A few days after I arrived in the city. My father worked all day long and while I explored the city on my own... in the evening He would pick me up where I was and we would have diner together... So I was hanging out with my camera in
front of a house on Grand Street, near the Marshall Park, when
a beat patrol
passing by stopped and ran into me...

They were polite but cold. They asked to see my documents and
what I was doing there, but It took over 10 minutes.
But I didn't like their suspicious pan!

I was doing nothing...just looking for the perfect angle to take a pic in front of a house...
(in 98 I didn't have digital cameras, so photos should be taken carefully)
and
I kept wondering: Do they do this to everyone or only to the ones they know who're not criminals???!!! Geez...what a waste of time!!!!
But I didn't say a word...

(If it were in Rio de Janeiro I would have freaked out cause police in Rio are all corrupted and if they stop you, that can only mean one thing:
They will try to extract some money from you...especially if you don't stand in with anyone in the Law area whom you can call in emergencies)

I remember I thought of even asking them whether I could
sit on the driver's seat to take a pic. in an American police car...
(Everyone would find awesome when I showed that in Rio!!!)
but, by their faces, I didn't think they'd let me...
I decided to shut up!!!
Definetely, being raised in Rio, I don't trust police anywhere...!!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooliner View Post
You're 100% right!!! The same happened to me too back then!!! Not in the university, though... A few days after I arrived in the city. My father worked all day long and while I explored the city on my own... in the evening He would pick me up where I was and we would have diner together... So I was hanging out with my camera in
front of a house on Grand Street, near the Marshall Park, when
a beat patrol
passing by stopped and ran into me...

They were polite but cold. They asked to see my documents and
what I was doing there, but It took over 10 minutes.
But I didn't like their suspicious pan!

I was doing nothing...just looking for the perfect angle to take a pic in front of a house...
(in 98 I didn't have digital cameras, so photos should be taken carefully)
and
I kept wondering: Do they do this to everyone or only to the ones they know who're not criminals???!!! Geez...what a waste of time!!!!
But I didn't say a word...

(If it were in Rio de Janeiro I would have freaked out cause police in Rio are all corrupted and if they stop you, that can only mean one thing:
They will try to extract some money from you...especially if you don't stand in with anyone in the Law area whom you can call in emergencies)

I remember I thought of even asking them whether I could
sit on the driver's seat to take a pic. in an American police car...
(Everyone would find awesome when I showed that in Rio!!!)
but, by their faces, I didn't think they'd let me...
I decided to shut up!!!
Definetely, being raised in Rio, I don't trust police anywhere...!!!!
I have had a distrust for the police myself. Not outward hatred, but I do take a second glance whenever a police car passes my way. Why? It is not so much the police that scare me but more whoever called them. Some neighbors in my own subdivision called the police on me and the cops found out I was out of a night time stroll. I am particularly scared of whoever called the police because if that person is that afraid of me or is that suspicious of me to where they would call the police, then that scares me because what it means is I can't go about my business without a police investigation and it compromises my security and makes me distrust my neighbors. That wastes my time and the officers time when the officer could be responding to someone who actually got hurt or really was the victim of a crime. Myself personally, I haven't had bad experiences, but my father has and I have seen police officers try crap on him. He mentioned the name of a police officer and the police left him alone for a while. A cop even tried to follow him until another cop my father new spotted the cop following my father. The cop went away. I think race had a part of it. Another thing was my father drives. I don't. If I drove a car, I would have a totally different view of the police.

I agree with what you say about corruption. I have learned in the USA, you can't pay off a cop that easily. If you tried that you can get in alot of trouble for bribery. I think cop corruption in the USA is a little different because why cosp will try to flex their muscles, social networks can sometimes get you off. If a cop is faced with losing his job, he might wise up. Bribes normally don't work unless it's in the millions of dollars and in that case, there must be real criminal activity going on. The reason I think American cops almost never take bribes is because of the pay. It's not 100,000 a year, but it's okay for not going to college. I could be wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul