Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 02:46 PM

43 posts, read 71,086 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, sorry if this technically belongs in the city vs city forum but I've seen most intrastate comparisons placed in the state section.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to move to Minneapolis in November, but I've been still considering last minute alternatives and with Rochester being less than 2 hours away from the TC area, it has gotten me thinking.

The main things that appeal to me about Rochester are the lower crime rates, lower housing costs, a supposedly better overall school system, and a more moderate political attitude. It also seems like Rochester is still close enough to Minneapolis that you could easily pop over to take advantage of what the TC has to offer.

I also have a B.S. degree in Biology, and with the Mayo Clinic and all I figure there may be more job opportunities in that area.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 08:47 PM

442 posts, read 593,191 times
I used to live 45 minutes from Rochester in Austin, Minn. There are a couple good restaurants there, some OK shopping and obviously good jobs with Mayo there, but it's kind of an island. Personally, as a fly fisher, there was plenty for me to do south of there, but otherwise it's pretty bland outside of the city limits.

There's a lot more to do in the Twin Cities and more job opportunities. My suggestion would be to plan a visit to Minnesota and go to both places.

FWIW, crime in the Twin Cities isn't bad. There are some pockets in north Minneapolis and around the capitol in St. Paul that are sketchy, but even in those areas, I've never personally felt unsafe when showing houses or driving through them.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:12 PM

43 posts, read 71,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
I used to live 45 minutes from Rochester in Austin, Minn. There are a couple good restaurants there, some OK shopping and obviously good jobs with Mayo there, but it's kind of an island. Personally, as a fly fisher, there was plenty for me to do south of there, but otherwise it's pretty bland outside of the city limits.

There's a lot more to do in the Twin Cities and more job opportunities. My suggestion would be to plan a visit to Minnesota and go to both places.

FWIW, crime in the Twin Cities isn't bad. There are some pockets in north Minneapolis and around the capitol in St. Paul that are sketchy, but even in those areas, I've never personally felt unsafe when showing houses or driving through them.
I've been to Minneapolis and really loved it, I wouldn't think to move there without that. I wish I could make the time to go to Rochester before November but unfortunately I can't squeeze it.

One thing I really liked about Minneapolis is that it felt like a more Western city along the lines of Seattle or Denver than neighboring St Paul, which to me felt like D.C. Does Rochester have a similar feel?

I also did drive through some of the rougher areas of Minneapolis and I didn't even realize it. However, the numbers still are fairly high for Minneapolis proper, which is what alarmed me a bit.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:37 AM

Rochester feels like a midwestern city — think Des Moines, Omaha, Fargo, Sioux Falls.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Mayo's putting on something like 30,000 people...that's employees. Add the family's and they'll push population too 275k plus....Slightly larger than Austin at 30,000.... and is liveabilitys #1 city in USA...

https://dmc.mn/

Destination Medical Center, Rochester, Minn. - About Us - Mayo Clinic

https://www.fastcompany.com/3041355/...-american-city

https://livability.com/mn/rochester

Old 09-17-2017, 08:26 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
We came within an eyelash of landing in Rochester, but wound up in the southern burbs of MSP instead. This area suits us just fine, but I would have had no problem living in Rochester. It's a big enough town to provide many of the amenities you'd find in MSP, albeit on a smaller scale, and I think the surrounding landscapes are unique and beautiful. Lots of panoramic farm country and to the east over to the Mississippi is the very underrated bluff country of the Minnesota driftless zone. Only thing I don't like about that area is that it's the one spot in Minnesota that doesn't have a whole lot of lakes, in fact I don't think there are any natural lakes in Olmstead County. 52 takes you straight up to the Cities in an hour and a half, which is nothing at all unless you just hate being in the car for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time. Southeastern Minnesota does get some pretty raucous thunderstorms, and the winters are going to be bone chilling cold just like anywhere else in this state.....so consider that.

Crime here is virtually non existent in comparison to other places I've lived, like Atlanta, Dallas, and Chicago. It's around, but not at the level of those places.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 09-17-2017 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Mayo's putting on something like 30,000 people...that's employees. Add the family's and they'll push population too 275k plus....Slightly larger than Austin at 30,000.... and is liveabilitys #1 city in USA...

https://dmc.mn/

Destination Medical Center, Rochester, Minn. - About Us - Mayo Clinic

https://www.fastcompany.com/3041355/...-american-city

https://livability.com/mn/rochester
Sorry, I should have been more clear — I was talking about Rochester, not Austin, just that we went to Roch frequently when I lived in Austin.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:58 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,446 times
Oh I love this post. Unfortunately I won't bore you with my long comparisons....
Having been born and raised IN Rochester and then living and working in the Twin Cities. Moving away for 10nyears then moving back for a year... I have all kinds of perspectives.
My family and many close friends still.live in Rochester so I am back there every year a couple of times to see what's changing. If you want to direct message me if be glad to hear some opions to questions you have and I'll be as objective as possible.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:16 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
Hey Bryan, I thought you might want to read this: 6 Ways to Avoid Illegal Steering | Realtor Magazine

Old 10-01-2017, 09:26 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Hey Bryan, I thought you might want to read this: 6 Ways to Avoid Illegal Steering | Realtor Magazine
It's not steering on a public forum for goodness sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul