Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 08:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
As a tilesetter here in California, I have been very tempted to move to Minneapolis where wages are the same as here, but cost of living is a fraction what it is here. At the moment, I am trying to get into another career that pays better, but if that doesn't work out, Minneapolis is my backup.
Bro is an electrician for a company that covers the greater Midwest, though he is mostly in the Twin Cities region (within an hour at least) these days. He is a foreman/journeyman (idk - he is charge of some guys) and clears at least $225k (I know because we talked about the stimulus). His company also has a plumbing division and they make a very handsome salary as well. He said his neighbor is a plumber and makes more than him. There is a huge need in the midwest for tradesman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 07:11 AM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
My friend does tile work for someone during the winter. The guy employing him wants to keep him full time all year, but he’ll never leave his union pipe laying job as the pay and benefits far outweigh tile guys offer. There’s a massive good tile tradesmen shortage, I get this from the owner of said tile company and my general contractor friend. Nobody wants to do it anymore or nobody wants to do it correctly. My buddy does phenomenal work.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 207 times
I get the sense that it gets less expensive the further out you get from Minneapolis/St. Paul, not it's not really cheap anywhere. I've been pretty pleased with Jayco Plumbing: http://minntractors.com/contractor/jayco-plumbing-inc

Old 12-09-2023, 11:30 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcabbage View Post
I get the sense that it gets less expensive the further out you get from Minneapolis/St. Paul, not it's not really cheap anywhere. I've been pretty pleased with Jayco Plumbing: Minntractors - Jayco Plumbing Inc
You registered just to necro a years-old thread and pitch this? You wouldn't happen to have a vested interest in this plumbing business, would you?

Old 12-13-2023, 10:23 PM

147 posts, read 143,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
Moved up here a couple years ago from Dallas. Basically relying on Google and Angie's list, but called a few plumbers and the prices seem high to me.

Most plumbers I have talked to so far charge about $125-$135 an hour.

This seem high to you guys? Any recommendations? I am in southeast Minneapolis near the university.
A lot of contractors I talk to these days don't even want jobs that only take 1-2 hours. Many of them won't even do residential but are commercial-only. A lot of the ones that do want to only do residential want to do big projects like redo all of your pipes.

The one I talked to recently wanted $500 to change out an outdoor spigot.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:27 PM

147 posts, read 143,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
IT would seem your dad should have gotten an estimate first to how much the job was going to cost...

A lot of plumbers these days won't even do estimates. Krinkie's wants a $109 fee to come out and look at what you have going on and then they give you an estimate.

Old 12-15-2023, 03:19 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
You registered just to necro a years-old thread and pitch this? You wouldn't happen to have a vested interest in this plumbing business, would you?
Who cares? If it's a local plumber with capacity to take on new projects, stop complaining- that's good info!

Old 12-16-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Who cares? If it's a local plumber with capacity to take on new projects, stop complaining- that's good info!
Last I checked, spam and self-promotion were banned on this forum.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
To clarify my message above: if it was you or another poster with a history recommending these guys, I wouldn't have batted an eye. But a first-time poster immediately shilling a product or service raises suspicion.

That said, I did check out these guys on Google and they seem pretty reputable. So I'm willing to admit that in this case I may have been too rash to jump to judgment. (Which doesn't negate the overall premise of what I said just above.)

Old 12-16-2023, 01:39 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
To clarify my message above: if it was you or another poster with a history recommending these guys, I wouldn't have batted an eye. But a first-time poster immediately shilling a product or service raises suspicion.

That said, I did check out these guys on Google and they seem pretty reputable. So I'm willing to admit that in this case I may have been too rash to jump to judgment. (Which doesn't negate the overall premise of what I said just above.)
I get it-- it probably didn't read this way, but I intended for my comment to be tongue-in-cheek (e.g. trades shortages, can be hard to get companies to show up/ follow through as they've got so much work, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul