Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:15 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
You do not think that the year round beauty of Minnesota is SOME of the best examples of quality of life?
While we do have areas of natural beauty, I don't think that's what sets us apart. A majority of states have one or more areas that have unique, natural beauty. Having been to most states, I don't instantly think MN's natural beauty makes it rise up in any sort of way. Sure the North Shore adds to my quality of life, but moreso than the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, or the oceans of Hawaii for instance? Not personally for me at least.

I do think our economy, schools, safety, parks, and social services do however. I feel as though we stand on a pedestal in these areas, and rightfully so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 11:14 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
You do not think that the year round beauty of Minnesota is SOME of the best examples of quality of life?
This thread is specifically about a ranking of states. Thus, it is comparative. No, I do not think Minnesota's natural beauty is what generally ranks it above Wisconsin (which, geographically, is fairly similar to Minnesota). Or Michigan (the same). Or New York, which has lovely mountains and a spectacular river valley (actually, a fjord). Or Vermont, which has similar old bucolic rounded mountains. Or New Hampshire, which has higher rocky granite mountains. Or Maine. Or Connecticut. Or Pennsylvania. All of which abound in the sort of natural beauty possessed by Minnesota, and often have more of it and/or more varied types of it. So, no, I'm not going to insist that the Chippewa National Forest somehow gives us a better quality of life than Michigan's Hiawatha National Forest gives to that state. I don't see how Mille Lacs or Lake of the Woods gives us a better quality of life than Lake Champlain gives to New York and Vermont. I can't say that the BWCA is a better quality of life source than the Maine North Woods or the Catskills. I don't think the North Shore does more for our happiness than Door Peninsula does for our neighbors to the east.

As I very clearly stated in my previous post, I think that what separates Minnesota from those places are the human factors: our economy, our education system, our health care infrastructure. And I think that because those things can be measured and shown to be collectively better here than in other states, while it is not clear at all to me that the 'natural beauty' elevates us over most other states in terms of quality of life.

PS:
The article around which this thread revolves is a QOL index based on:
Health Care
Education
Infrastructure
Crime and Corrections
Opportunity
Economy
Government

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-po...among-best-get

Old 10-10-2017, 09:55 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
It's true, Minnesota is not the most beautiful state, but I would say it ranks up there in the top half. There are a few difference from other states though that I think make Minnesota unique. I argue that the Twin Cities metro area (where most of Minnesota lives) is indeed one of the most beautiful in the country - with the many lakes (even in the urban core) (Lake Minnetonka), rivers, streams, waterfalls, forest, valleys and caves. Further, where the Twin Cities and much of Minnesota really excels in is the access that is provided to all residents to experience that beauty as well - the numerous hiking, bike, ATV, cross country and snowmobile trials; excellent parks - preserving the chain of lakes in Minneapolis as part of the park system as an example. A lot of Minnesota's best is in reach of most of it's residents.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:35 PM

7 posts, read 7,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Further, where the Twin Cities and much of Minnesota really excels in is the access that is provided to all residents to experience that beauty as well - the numerous hiking, bike, ATV, cross country and snowmobile trials; excellent parks - preserving the chain of lakes in Minneapolis as part of the park system as an example. A lot of Minnesota's best is in reach of most of it's residents.
Agreed! I have yet to find another state that has a comparable park and trail system.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,062 times
The parks and trails of MSP are second to none. Really. They are truly exceptional in the US. That contributes a helluva lot toward the quality of life in the Twin Cities and the state beyond.

After all, what do we really live for when we live our lives on this planet? For me, it's beauty. A connection to nature. And beautiful places make me happy. Key West makes me happy. So does the Big Island of Hawaii. The Amalfi Coast. Utrecht. Berlin. Letchworth Park. Chiba Prefecture. Roatan.

And surprisingly, so do the lakes of Minneapolis and St.Paul.

There are thousands of delightful places in the world. Be happy that one of those places is right in your backyard.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:51 PM

733 posts, read 760,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon2Min View Post
I've always consistently heard about how Minnesota is always ranked highly in quality of life, best place to raise a family, best drivers, best doctors and health care, etc..

Now, my question to you, is, do you agree? Do you think Minnesota is a great place to live? Do you agree that all these rankings are accurate? Tell me your opinions..
Yes, totally. It's not all hype, but a really great place to live. Gorgeous scenery, parks, art/culture, sports, schools, health care, you name it.

It's better than places with similar scenery and seasons - cost of living is less than New England, and MN offers more than say a WI or MI.

So what's the catch? Only the weather. Beautiful summers, fabulous autumns. But winters can get a little long, cold, and cloudy. If you can either buck up and take it, or just ignore it, or flat-out embrace it, you'll love it.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:57 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times
Quote:
I think the year round beauty of this state is some of the best examples of the quality of life.
Totally agree

Old 10-24-2017, 08:27 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
Yes, totally. It's not all hype, but a really great place to live. Gorgeous scenery, parks, art/culture, sports, schools, health care, you name it.

It's better than places with similar scenery and seasons - cost of living is less than New England, and MN offers more than say a WI or MI.

So what's the catch? Only the weather. Beautiful summers, fabulous autumns. But winters can get a little long, cold, and cloudy. If you can either buck up and take it, or just ignore it, or flat-out embrace it, you'll love it.
Good post

Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 AM

335 posts, read 356,693 times
Quote:
I think the year round beauty of this state is some of the best examples of the quality of life.
I didn't realize year round beauty was flat-farm land covered with snow & ice for 5 months a year, mixed with sticky humidity and mosquitos for 3 months a year.

MN beauty is spring & fall.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:18 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
I didn't realize year round beauty was flat-farm land covered with snow & ice for 5 months a year, mixed with sticky humidity and mosquitos for 3 months a year.

MN beauty is spring & fall.
Yeah cause the whole state is farmlamd? No. Wait. That’s Iowa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul