U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 06:36 PM

244 posts, read 297,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Bush Lake in Bloomington is nice.
https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/parks/bush-lake-beach

I don’t know if you are a skier, but there is also skiing in Bloomington
https://www.bloomingtonmn.org/promo/...SAAEgKXnPD_BwE

Nice nature park too

https://www.threeriversparks.org/loc...-nature-center

Let Minnetonka is nice too.
There are paddle board rental places on that lake.
And also nice nature areas in that area
Excelsior is one area bordering Lake Minnetonka
Excelsior, MN - Official Website

Good luck in your new move
Thanks for all the recommendations! I have a document saved with all the different suggestions for our trip in the spring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 09:08 PM

2,416 posts, read 4,068,185 times
I am a weather buff and check many cities daily including Denver and Minneapollis.

Summers in MSP can be quite hot AND muggy. Overnight temps can be hot and muggy also.

I'm talking dewpoint of 70 degrees or above, occasionally at night, about 90-100% humidity, almost Florida like. A few summer days can be 95-102 degrees plus high dew points.

Haven't lived there since age 6 in 1966, so maybe I'm wrong...

Just warning you...

Old 11-20-2017, 11:08 AM

5,798 posts, read 6,391,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I am a weather buff and check many cities daily including Denver and Minneapollis.

Summers in MSP can be quite hot AND muggy. Overnight temps can be hot and muggy also.

I'm talking dewpoint of 70 degrees or above, occasionally at night, about 90-100% humidity, almost Florida like. A few summer days can be 95-102 degrees plus high dew points.

Just warning you...
While such weather does occur, it only lasts for a few days. You make it sound like it’s very hot and muggy all summer. I assure you it’s not.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:43 PM

244 posts, read 297,747 times
[font="Verdana"]
Quote:

Just warning you...
Coming from WNY, I am used to that kind of weather. It is very hot and dry here in Denver but sometimes its so dry I can almost feel my skin cracking no matter how much lotion and chapstick I apply.

The way I look at it, no place in the entire world has perfect weather. Parts of the year are always going to suck in some form, it just depends on what kind you are most comfortable dealing with.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:23 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,270,811 times
Forgot to mention Robbinsdale. It's pretty much middle class for the most part. It does have a main street that has been revitalized in recent years. It's has a major hospital, North Memorial. It doesn't have the extensive park system like Minneapolis thought but has some city parks.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:48 PM

134 posts, read 89,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin0129 View Post
Hello CD! My husband's company is going through a transition and it seems like we are likely going to have the choice of moving from Denver to Minneapolis sometime in the next 18-24 months. I have only spent one afternoon in the city in August and enjoyed my time there.

I know the weather is significantly different but I grew up in WNY (specifically Buffalo) so I am used to much harsher winters than we get here in CO. The summers here can be quite hot IMO so I am excited by the prospect of more mild summers even if the winters are much much harsher.

I work in accounting so it easy for me to find a job anywhere and by the time we move I will have my CPA so the ease of transition for me will be even greater.

I have been perusing the forum and have gathered some information. We would want to rent for around a year to familiarize ourselves with the city but I am unsure as to where the best area for us would be.

We are in our late 20s and early 30s. For housing, we would be looking around 300-400k for a house or condo. I personally prefer a condo or townhome but am not opposed to a SFH.

We love dining out, easy access to coffee shops, and neighborhood bars so a more urban area is important to us. We currently live less than a mile from the CBD of Denver but it is still very neighborhoody.

From the looks of it, my husband will have to travel to the western side of the city towards the suburbs (based on Google Maps of his companies new HQ). Even from the city center, it looks like the commute is only around 20 minutes. I am an auditor so I travel all over so my commute is less of a factor.

We plan on coming sometime next spring/summer to investigate and start exploring neighborhoods but wanted some time to do more research via the Internet.

Any recommendations?
I'm a big fan of the Whittier neighborhood, where I currently live. It's around 80% renters too, so rentals are easy to find and it might be a good place to rent at first while discovering the city. Whittier is one of the densest neighborhoods in MSP, between downtown and uptown, with some of the best urban amenities around IMO. Walking distance to the lakes, downtown, uptown, etc. Also home to "Eat Street" which you should check out when you visit. It's Nicollet Ave mostly between 24th and 28th Streets. It's definitely one of the greatest urban neighborhood corridors around.

Since you mentioned preferring urban areas, I thought I'd throw that out there.

Besides Whittier, I also really like Powderhorn Park, Cathedral Hill (St Paul), Kingfield, Lowry Hill East, among others for good urban neighborhoods to check out. NE Mpls is notable too, though I personally prefer S Mpls and probably St Paul for living. NE is where the breweries and many of the artists mostly are though, it's still good Check out Central Ave and some breweries up there.
As far as suburbs, St Louis Park, Robbinsdale, Richfield, Columbia Heights, Hopkins are among the "more urban" ones.

Good luck with it all!

Old 12-04-2017, 08:02 PM

878 posts, read 973,140 times
Quote:

Just warning you...
As a nearly lifelong Floridian (moved from South Florida to Minneapolis in 2014), I can assure you that this has NOT at all been my experience-- the summers here have a few, isolated hot and "humid" (not really humid as compared to FL) days-- but most days are warm (70s/80s) with nice, cool evenings (typically high 50s/low-mid 60s-- cool enough to need a light sweater, and sometimes more).

Native Minnesotans will sometimes complain about the humidity, but as compared to what I was used to (when you can FEEL the air, ugh), our MN summers are HEAVEN on Earth.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 AM

482 posts, read 350,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin0129 View Post
We are also ready for a new adventure. He grew up in the Denver area and I've been here for almost six years. I love the area but I also am excited to explore a new city. My entire family lives in Europe so my home is really wherever my husband lives. He wants to move for a variety of reasons, and the housing is cheap in comparison to Denver (sad to say).
We moved here from Denver a few months ago, housing cost was one of our reasons as well. Unfortunately I don’t have any neighborhood advice to give since we are just figuring things out ourselves. A couple of personal anecdotes I can share....1) humidity, the overall humidity of the summer was a big adjustment for me. We’re originally from Indiana so it wasn’t a surprise; however after being in the dry climate of Colorado I think we just needed to get re-acclimated. 2) altitude, the change in altitude has had a positive affect on our health. Honestly, I had no idea how much my inability to breathe had affected my daily life until I moved here and realized I can breathe again. Also, my husband started having blood pressure issues while living in Denver which has now resolved itself and he’s off medication doing just fine.
Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your time here when you visit.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:08 PM

468 posts, read 511,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
As a nearly lifelong Floridian (moved from South Florida to Minneapolis in 2014), I can assure you that this has NOT at all been my experience-- the summers here have a few, isolated hot and "humid" (not really humid as compared to FL) days-- but most days are warm (70s/80s) with nice, cool evenings (typically high 50s/low-mid 60s-- cool enough to need a light sweater, and sometimes more).

Native Minnesotans will sometimes complain about the humidity, but as compared to what I was used to (when you can FEEL the air, ugh), our MN summers are HEAVEN on Earth.
We moved to Minneapolis after living in South Florida for 5 years. The summers here are gorgeous! It's one of my favorite parts of living here.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:59 PM

11 posts, read 11,524 times
Default S. Minneapolis/Lake Nokomis Area

I moved here from Buffalo almost 20 years ago and love it. I actually prefer winters here to Buffalo, even though it's colder, because there is less snow and more sunny days.

I would agree with all the other suggestions on good neighborhoods to check out, especially if you are looking for a condo or townhouse. I didn't see the Lake Nokomis area mentioned, however, and it's a great option if you are looking at single family homes. There are very few condos or any type of multi-family housing, but it's centrally located to downtown Minneapolis and many other areas, and Lake Nokomis is nearby with great walking and biking paths. You can find homes in all price ranges, but generally they range from $300,000 - $400,000. Some people dislike the noise from the airport, but I've always lived in this area and it doesn't bother me. Having the airport close by is a nice feature. The number of restaurants and bars has improved over the years, and while it doesn't have the nightlife of downtown or Uptown, those areas are easily accessible for an evening out.

I'm probably biased, but I think it's one of the nicest areas in the Twin Cities, and housing is a good value for the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul