Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 02:03 PM

101 posts, read 142,782 times

Advertisements

With a highly diverse Asian population in Minneapolis and the influx of Asian immigrants such as Hmong, how are they treated.

My experience, coming from the Milwaukee area which has a much lower Asian population, Asians are treated with respect. No racist or underhand statements are ever made and a lot are in high paying jobs.

How does the treatment and culture of acceptance in Minneapolis compare to Milwaukee in regards to Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 06:51 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
First off, I'm not Asian, however my son is. I'm not the best to answer this as I'm somewhat oblivious to racism, but Asians seem to me to be well respected and integrated into society. Some things, like light rail instructions, are even in the Hmong language. We also have plenty of Asian restaurants and grocery stores, as well as 2 indoor Hmong malls, which have authentic shops and restaurants wherein you can get some fresh papaya salad.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:18 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,363 times
If there is racism, blame the Lutherans....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxkHSJQYbB4

Just kidding!

I cant account for now, but growing up in Minneapolis, the Hmong were pretty much accepted there in the 80's, and 90's. Cant imagine it changed much, as Hmong folks seem mostly self sufficient, family oriented, and law abiding. I worked with a bunch of them, good folks.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:22 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Where I live I've never heard anyone speak ill of them. The ones I know have made the transition very well and have been able to benefit from doing so.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,240 times
Not being Hmong I can't speak to their experience. So take my comment for what it's worth.

Hmong families have been an integral part of Twin Cities' life for decades. As such, the Hmong culture is as "Minnesotan" as any other. We're all together here in this god-forsaken climate .
So who cares where someone is from? Let's all huddle together this winter!

Drink, Eat and be Merry!

Old 12-15-2017, 10:34 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
For the record most of the Hmong live in St. Paul. Minneapolis has more Somalians. Lots of Somalians in the Midway area of St. Paul too. St. Paul is like 15% Asian but my neighbourhood is predominatly white and black. I really can't tell you much about how the Hmong are seen here. Somalians get a bad rep from many people (Not just from white people) especially for driving but I never hear about the Hmong. I moved here this summer and my experience with the Hmong community is limited to visiting a marketplace last fall.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:58 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,922 times
There is a segment of Hmong that marry within their customs but not legally and therefore many “single” moms with dependent children, and their dad in the home, are in the welfare system. Specifically designated as single moms. Seems to be purposeful. How do I know this? People I know work for Public Housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul