Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:56 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
I lived in MN my entire life until I moved myself and kids to Naples in 2016. What I thought would be a great experience has turned into a bit of a nightmare. For anyone familiar with Naples, I'm guessing you understand what I'm feeling. I LOVE the climate - but - The city is transient. People keep to themselves. It feels like a third world country / police state - the snobbish rich, the struggling recluse working class, the over-zealous law enforcers. This is a great retirement community; not so much a livable city for those of us raising families. I'm struggling with depression for the first time in my life. The challenges I'm discovering were not apparent upon our many extended visits.

So my question - has anyone moved to FL from MN....only to return back to MN? If so, what were your reasons?m Are you happy with your move back? I'm considering a return to the frigid north where people are real.
Didn't read the entire thread, but I have family in Minneapolis and I grew up in a similarly friendly area of Kentucky and lived in Orlando for 5 years. Your statement about Naples is really a statement of the entire state of Florida, and an overwhelming number of non-foreign people who move to Florida are Northeasterners like NY, CT, MA, etc. They're not traditionally known as friendly folk.

Florida is what it is. You can find friendly people, but you're not going to experience friendliness as a culture in Florida like you do in Minnesota and Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 12:22 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Didn't read the entire thread, but I have family in Minneapolis and I grew up in a similarly friendly area of Kentucky and lived in Orlando for 5 years. Your statement about Naples is really a statement of the entire state of Florida, and an overwhelming number of non-foreign people who move to Florida are Northeasterners like NY, CT, MA, etc. They're not traditionally known as friendly folk.

Florida is what it is. You can find friendly people, but you're not going to experience friendliness as a culture in Florida like you do in Minnesota and Kentucky.
Instead of stereotyping us Northeasterners, and the state of Florida just because you don't like it, maybe it is you.

I moved here from NY and we love it. My wife found work, our kids have adjusted well and attend one of the top school districts in the state, we have met new people, we have been more active in terms of going places and community events, stuff we never did in NY. We are 30 minutes from the nearest beach. I do admit though it does get hot in the summer, but we have our community pool, and everything is air conditioned anyway

I always tell people that I'd rather deal,with 3 months of stifling heat( June, July August ) then 3 months of brutal winter ( Dec, January, February). But that's me. I just hate the cold

Old 02-09-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Instead of stereotyping us Northeasterners, and the state of Florida just because you don't like it, maybe it is you.

I moved here from NY and we love it. My wife found work, our kids have adjusted well and attend one of the top school districts in the state, we have met new people, we have been more active in terms of going places and community events, stuff we never did in NY. We are 30 minutes from the nearest beach. I do admit though it does get hot in the summer, but we have our community pool, and everything is air conditioned anyway

I always tell people that I'd rather deal,with 3 months of stifling heat( June, July August ) then 3 months of brutal winter ( Dec, January, February). But that's me. I just hate the cold
I never said I didn't like it. I am also a born New Yorker. I was stating facts for someone who is used to the culture of Minnesota. You're amongst friends in Florida in comparison to the OP. In fact, you're kinda making my point for me.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:50 PM

17 posts, read 26,194 times
We lived in Florida for about 3 years. The heat is ungodly and I agree with whoever said that you end up inside more there than the Midwest. The schools take a lot of navigation because so many are low rated- we ended up in a charter school which went against my morals a bit. Culture is lacking. Now, for vacation in February I'll take FL but I cannot see myself living there full time again.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:01 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
There’s got to be a big difference too between ‘retirement/vacation’ Florida and ‘city/work/career/family’ Florida though. Like, Naples is obviously a retirement community. But Tampa or Ft Lauderdale or Ft Myers seem to have reall year-round families and jobs and economies.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:57 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameexists View Post
The heat is ungodly and I agree with whoever said that you end up inside more there than the Midwest.
This is something I need to keep in mind. I hate humidity. I think the consensus is indeed you are indoors 3 months out of the years down there it is so uncomfortably hot (like AZ), and even in the Winter months down there it's still humid.

Me...I would need to be running my AC year 'round because I hate sweating, even a little bit.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
This is something I need to keep in mind. I hate humidity. I think the consensus is indeed you are indoors 3 months out of the years down there it is so uncomfortably hot (like AZ), and even in the Winter months down there it's still humid.

Me...I would need to be running my AC year 'round because I hate sweating, even a little bit.
Oh, it's much more than just 3 months these days. My MIL lives about 45 minutes north of West Palm Beach and they're in the 90's pretty much 9-10 months of the year now. Of course, it wouldn't be that extreme if you lived in the panhandle, but if you're south of Jacksonville it's somewhat likely that you'll see 90's even into December these days, depending on the year.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:28 AM

733 posts, read 760,367 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

Oh, it's much more than just 3 months these days.
If you do not like humidity, Florida is definitely not for you. Even in the winter when it's not hot, it will be humid. It's not at all uncomfortable with cooler temps, but it is there to some extent.

And yes, expect 6 months of heat and humidity, not 3 months.

If you want warmth but not humidity, then you need to be exploring the southwest instead (AZ, NM, NV).

Old 02-12-2018, 11:53 AM

182 posts, read 197,328 times
Tampa today is a high of 85 with a dew point of 69. Meanwhile here in MN, I was outside in the heat of the day yesterday doing strenuous aerobic activity and it felt great. I don't think it would have felt great at all with FL kind of temperature and dew point and it's only February. I guess their 3 months of nice weather are over--if they even happened at all.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:25 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Oh, it's much more than just 3 months these days. My MIL lives about 45 minutes north of West Palm Beach and they're in the 90's pretty much 9-10 months of the year now. Of course, it wouldn't be that extreme if you lived in the panhandle, but if you're south of Jacksonville it's somewhat likely that you'll see 90's even into December these days, depending on the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
If you do not like humidity, Florida is definitely not for you. Even in the winter when it's not hot, it will be humid. It's not at all uncomfortable with cooler temps, but it is there to some extent.

And yes, expect 6 months of heat and humidity, not 3 months.

If you want warmth but not humidity, then you need to be exploring the southwest instead (AZ, NM, NV).
Yeah I probably wouldn't make it there. The only reason it's the only other place outside of MN I would likely live is because it's the only other place (in US) I have close family.

AZ is as bad or worse, I am told. Two months out of the year people die down there because it's so hot. If you are a golfer you have to golf in the early morning - afternoons are too hot, even dangerously hot.

San Diego is perfection (so I'm told), but everything is expensive there and I suspect there's far too many people there. Also, California politics are something I detest, so it's not even remotely somewhere I would ever move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul