Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
In 1950 the population of Minneapolis was over 500,000, and there was NO Freeway system. There was also very little traffic congestion. When I was growing up in Minneapolis it's population was about 430,000, and we had just completed our freeway system. During Rush Hours traffic congestion was about the same as 10pm at night is now days.

Stop lights were timed to accommodate automobile traffic patterns, and bicyclists kept to the side streets as it was much safer to ride there, and pedestrians only crossed at the corners where there were stop lights.

Most people drove their own car and us kids dreamed about getting our DL and first car at 16-years-old.

The one issue that plagued the residents of Minneapolis (and elsewhere) was SPEEDING. Since cities cannot set their own Speed Limits (MNDot has that authority) they quickly learned that by re-timing all the stop lights along certain stretch of roadway, they could slow the average speed of the cars down. Soon more and more streets were badly timed to slow people down and congestion started to form.

Of course if you start causing all the cars to pile up in a certain area, you are going to raise emissions, so rather than saying "take your pick, speeders or air pollution" they instead invented climate change and used that as a means to start REMOVING our Personal Freedoms!
In the 50s most families didn’t own more than one car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 08:03 PM

294 posts, read 264,314 times
Not at all surprised. That city is ssa.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
The plain and simple fact is Minneapolis doesn't want you to own a car. The city wants all it's citizens on bicycles and trains and even sets the stop light timing to CREATE congestion on the streets to try and force people out of their automobiles.
If thats the case Minneapolis has to change its infrastructure and layout, it is still a classic car centric Midwestern city.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Every city has these funny laws, in Woodbury home addresses that end in odd numbers cant water their lawns on odd number days... (same deal for even number homes)

in Maplewood you can't park in your own lawn.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:39 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
In alot of suburbs there is an ordinance prohibiting you from parking cars on the street overnight.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
In alot of suburbs there is an ordinance prohibiting you from parking cars on the street overnight.
Minneapolis will be adapting this soon

Old 02-18-2018, 01:21 AM

695 posts, read 714,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I see a huge difference between an ordinance that prohibits someone from doing something on CITY property; and prohibiting the Owner from something on PRIVATE property he paid for.

What's the point of OWNING land if you cannot do as you wish on that land with your personal belongings?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:57 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Minneapolis will be adapting this soon
Your post made me think of all the bicycle system thats some of these Twin Cities folks want.

I totally disagree with it. The money spent on it , it takes away space for cars, puts bicycle riders at risk, and for about 7 months out of the year no-one uses them because of our weather .

Doctor Z, I think some of these dumbas ordinances are related to the up and coming bicycle infrastructure

Here are just a few articles on it.
Catch the bolded phrase below. How stupid! Make streets more livable

To Amy Brugh, new bike lanes on Twin Cities streets are a welcome, overdue sight — and she wants to see more.

“I really welcome the buildup in the network,” she said. “But because I am someone who rides, I feel like it’s still totally lacking.”

To Rick Brimacomb, the bike lanes are maddening, especially when traffic’s heavy, parking spots are limited and there are few cyclists in sight.

“It’s pitting the 2 percent against the 98 percent,” he said.
Spread of bike lanes in Minneapolis and St. Paul prompts both excitement and ire | Star Tribune

The city governments of Minneapolis and St. Paul are building a network of bike lanes on streets like never before. Minneapolis has added 75 miles of bikes lanes and trails in the past six years, and St. Paul has added 27 miles since 2015. The growth is cheered as a way to combat climate change and make cycling safer, but also reviled as a plot to take away parking and pinch lanes available to cars

In passing long-term plans that call for hundreds of millions of dollars for the bike network, officials in both cities have argued the lanes are essential to deal with growth and cut greenhouse gas emissions. Narrowing lanes for motor vehicles and lowering speeds makes streets safer for everyone, they say — even drivers.

“Our bicycle network is important in its own right,” said Minneapolis City Council Member Lisa Bender, a co-founder of the Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition. “But it’s really part of a bigger look at how we’re designing streets for all users, how we are planning to meet our greenhouse gas emissions goals, how we’re planning to make our streets more livable.”

https://www.google.com/amp/minnesota...ike-lanes/amp/
WCCO watched the morning and evening commutes on Blaisdell Avenue and 36th Street in south Minneapolis. On a Thursday morning we counted 10 times the amount of cars than bikes — 104 to 9 in a half-hour’s time. In the evening, it was double that; 287 cars and 16 bikes went past our camera.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:24 PM

542 posts, read 448,583 times
Quote:
I see a huge difference between an ordinance that prohibits someone from doing something on CITY property; and prohibiting the Owner from something on PRIVATE property he paid for.

What's the point of OWNING land if you cannot do as you wish on that land with your personal belongings?
Simple. Because what you do on your land or property can affect your neighbors, especially those that are .11 acres. It's the same reason I can't dump nuclear waste in my yard or certain chemicals that can cause cancer. It's the same reason you can't pipe music out of speakers at 120 db. It's the same reason you can't haul in truckloads of pig waste and dump it on your lawn. It's the same reason you can't dump mounds of grain on your lawn because you love wild deer and rats. Do I need to go on? You really need this explained?

I'm not sure you have a very good grasp of the 1950's. The Minneapolis metro's population was 1.3 million in 1950. Now it is 3x greater. Car ownership was approx 1 car per household and household were bigger with a higher percentage of stay at home moms. The percentage of working women was around 30 percent compared to 60 percent now. Clearly, the number of cars using the roads were far greater than they are now making this comparison absurd.

On saturday, I was driving on 38st W headed towards Lake Calhoun. All five lights were with me and turned as if they were dominoes and I didn't have to stop. This is purely anecdotal, but your master light controllers seemed not to get the memo about the bike traffic.

I am not enamored with SOME of the bike riders in Minneapolis. However, I don't think they are the problem with traffic congestion in Minneapolis.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 02-18-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 07:01 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:

This fits in perfectly with your philosophy that owning a car entitled you to drive as fast as you want. At least your ideas are consistently ridiculous. Unless, of course, you’re just trolling us (again.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul