Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 12:50 AM

178 posts, read 346,694 times

Advertisements

We have been trying to find a better school district match for our child and family and were impressed by a recent meeting with Hopkins.

We're seriously considering a move there soon to be in the school district. Does anyone have an idea of what the different areas are like? What we hope for:

<$390K or so
Yard for dog and kid
Kitchen large enough for some serious cooking
3BR/2BA
Super bonus for walkability and neighbors with kids

I've driven around a bit, but not as strategically as I will.

Spouse will be commuting to Eagan and I work from home. Maybe near the highway wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for any Hopkins tips too.

<have a realtor for sell/buy - just hoping to learn about the city, etc.>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 09:32 AM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times
Bear in mind that there are parts of Minnetonka and even a small part of Edina that is in the Hopkins school district (your realtor can generate a search based on school district and not just the town, if they haven't already done so for you)-- and, unless things have changed as of late, Hopkins allows for open enrollment, too-- so you might also want to consider other areas that are close to, but not in, the Hopkins school boundary, such as St Louis Park and Eden Prairie (as long as you are able/willing to provide transportation to the school, or possibly to a Hopkins bus stop).

While I'm not intimately familiar with the real estate market in those areas, I took a super fast look and I think that it's likely that you can find something that suits your needs for your budget-- or, if you're up for it, you might find an older home for well under your budget and make it your own (because of the age of many of the homes, the kitchens are likely too small and not well suited for someone who truly loves to cook!)

Last edited by Yac; 12-09-2020 at 02:34 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 09:39 AM

106 posts, read 161,180 times
If the goal is to be within the Hopkins district, then know that you are talking about more than just the small city of Hopkins. Large portions of Minnetonka and Golden Valley are also within the district.

If you are looking for 'walkable,' as in 'some retail and restaurants within walking distance,' you might plug in the address for Unmapped Brewing and look within about a mile of that location in all directions. You also might look at the intersection of Highway 55 and Winnetka Ave in Golden Valley and also look in that vicinty as well. These suggestions are in addition to looking in the Hopkins city limits, which is also quite walkable though with a housing stock that features smaller homes and yards.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:12 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTnVtMn View Post
If the goal is to be within the Hopkins district, then know that you are talking about more than just the small city of Hopkins. Large portions of Minnetonka and Golden Valley are also within the district.

If you are looking for 'walkable,' as in 'some retail and restaurants within walking distance,' you might plug in the address for Unmapped Brewing and look within about a mile of that location in all directions. You also might look at the intersection of Highway 55 and Winnetka Ave in Golden Valley and also look in that vicinty as well. These suggestions are in addition to looking in the Hopkins city limits, which is also quite walkable though with a housing stock that features smaller homes and yards.
Winnetka and 55 is walkable?

I grew up basically on that intersection, and it is nice, and there is lots of cool retail, but I wouldn't call it "walkable" after spending my entire adult life in cities....

Old 03-05-2018, 06:55 AM

Thanks everyone. This is helpful information. I do love the idea of walkable in general, but it's typically hard to get with our space needs. I'm going to spend some time driving around the district to get an idea of what's where too. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:43 PM

114 posts, read 136,572 times
A budget of $390k is perfectly adequate for a nice home in Minnetonka on a half acre lot. A good portion of Minnetonka is within Hopkins Schools. Walkability may be tougher to find due to how the city was built out. My neighborhood had few kids until the past few years when a number of homes sold and younger families moved in.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:37 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
St Louis Park, parts of Plymouth and Golden Valley are part of Hopkins District also. Golden Valley there is and has been more homes of late with the older generations downsizing and homes are probably mostly in your price range. Wayzata School district is also great. Not all homes in the district are higher priced homes. There are probably many in or close to your range.

If you click on district menu, about, discover Hopkins there is a map with boundaries. The only possible issues in some elementary schools are would maybe be of the area on the south side of Hopkins the city, there are a lot of apartments in that area.

https://www.hopkinsschools.org/about...scover-hopkins

Wayzata District, mostly mid to upper middle class, and much higher.
https://www.wayzata.k12.mn.us/site/m...spx?DomainID=4

Of the more walkable city would be Hopkins city proper. Second would be Golden Valley, North of highway 55 along Winnetka (Winnetka Ave in a district boundry line with Robbinsdale District) Along Winnetka and Hwy 55 intersection there are stores, post office, city and police, fire dept. Public golf course and city activity center is nearby. There is also a Hennepin County Library (Golden Valley library) which is a tremendous library system that is pretty impressive if you have not lived in a area with good library system, connected with all other libraries in the whole country and even outside of county. The Luce Line Regional trail system also goes through Golden Valley near that intersection. There are a few city parks near there also.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 03-08-2018 at 10:18 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 10:43 PM

Thank you. This is very helpful information.

Glad to see the rec about the library. I'm a fan!

I'll look at these areas and see if I can wrap my head around some target streets/neighborhoods.

I suspect Wayzata (speaking broadly) might be a shock for us. We're pretty much an inner-city family looking for areas where there is economic diversity. Knowing where apartments are is actually helpful. I don't suspect it would be an issue - likely the opposite for us. Eventually, our elderly family members may move to apartments in the area too - doubly good for us to know.

I'm absolutely amazed by the parks systems in the Twin Cities. Much stronger than where we've lived.

Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:47 AM

34 posts, read 42,245 times
Default Any 2 plus 2's in this area for single retired with dogs

I am considering this area Hopkins, St Louis Park, Minnetonka, St Paul, Como and any where else you all could suggest. Of course I like up to date remodeled but could easily paint. This may be my last home and want it to be in a special area i.e. access to hiking and biking trails, shopping, cute coffee shop and organic restaurants. I would appreciate all input and or ideas. Would like to spend under 250,000.

I am an active 60 year old single mom, retired. 3 big dogs with an 18 year old that just moved out of state. I want to sell or rent this home (which is just too big for me) and move to a 2 bed, 1-2 bath single story rambler type house with preferably attached garage and fenced in back yard (or I can put in a 6 foot cedar surrounding back yard for dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul