Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking schools with funding for gifted education and athletics, neighborhood with kids

Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 PM

3 posts, read 14,390 times

Advertisements

We may be heading to the St Paul area soon due to a transfer. We are looking for something between 10-30 minutes from my husband's work (St Paul Park - Marathon refinery). In addition we have 3 kids . . . 1 elementary, 1 middle school, 1 preschool . . . and good schools are very important, including appropriate funding for gifted education and athletics. As well, we are looking for a neighborhood with kids. We've been transferred before and moved into areas with sparse housing and even fewer children . . . it makes the transition even more difficult for the kids. I've been doing some looking already . . . how do Cottage Grove, Hastings, Lake Elmo, Rosemount and Inver Grove Heights fit in with the above goals? Any other suggestions? Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 05:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
From your list, ranked in order:

Rosemount
Lake Elmo (the part that is in the Stillwater district)
Hastings

Inver Grove

Cottage Grove

Rosemount is part of the 196 schools (Rosemount, Apple Valley, Eagan schools). It is ranked top in the state. It is VERY well funded, great programs, excellent schools, teachers and administrators. We LOVE it here. We have lived in many parts of the state and this district is by far the best we have ever been a part of.

Stillwater schools are also excellent. Lake Elmo was a very small, rural town that has grown up some. It is a convenient area.

Hastings is a cute, historic town that is growing. The schools are good but not quite as good as Rosemount or Stillwater. It was pretty convenient to St. Paul Park until they closed the bridge, not sure how they are routing traffic right now but that is a temporary issue.

Inver Grove schools are not very good and Cottage Grove schools are worse. I would avoid those areas.

You will find in all these areas plenty of families with kids of similar ages and typical suburban developments.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:12 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
The Hastings bridge is closed? I hadn't heard. I knew that the steel structure and piers are in rough shape, and they were planning major maintenance/life-support this spring that could give the tired bridge another couple of years before they replace it.

If they closed it, that would be rough, because there's not another bridge for 20-30 miles in either direction.

Are you sure you're not confusing the Hastings bridge with the DeSoto bridge in St. Cloud? The bridge in St. Cloud, which looks eerily similar to the old 35W bridge, was closed last week when inspectors found that some fracture-critical parts were starting to bend. Luckily, in St. Cloud, there are other bridges less than a mile in either direction.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
The Hastings bridge is closed? I hadn't heard. I knew that the steel structure and piers are in rough shape, and they were planning major maintenance/life-support this spring that could give the tired bridge another couple of years before they replace it.

If they closed it, that would be rough, because there's not another bridge for 20-30 miles in either direction.

Are you sure you're not confusing the Hastings bridge with the DeSoto bridge in St. Cloud? The bridge in St. Cloud, which looks eerily similar to the old 35W bridge, was closed last week when inspectors found that some fracture-critical parts were starting to bend. Luckily, in St. Cloud, there are other bridges less than a mile in either direction.

It was rated as one of worst bridges in MN. Poorly rated Hastings Bridge takes another wallop

Maybe it isn't closed. I thought I read that it was--maybe it was just closed for inspection? You can take Highway 55 out of Hastings to Highway 52.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:18 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
It was possibly closed for a few hours at a time recently for a thorough inspection, but it looks like it's still open for the time being.

Here's MN-DOT's page on the bridge, the upcoming work they'll be starting in April, and the resultant traffic impacts: Hastings Bridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul