U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 10:03 AM

7 posts, read 8,245 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are in the process of relocating to the twin cities from St. Charles, IL (far west suburb of Chicago) for my husband’s job. He will have various locations throughout the twin cities that he will need to travel to (Plymouth, Excelsior, white bear lake, Edina, Eden prairie, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Oakdale, St. Paul) so we aren’t really limited to a specific area, just want something somewhat central for him and to hopefully keep most of his commutes under 30 min, if possible. Being close to parks and trails is really important to him.

We also have two girls who will be entering 9th and 6th grades in the fall. Our main concern is that they have a nice transition and we are trying to find the best atmosphere for them. We come from a tight knit community and are really hoping we can find something similar. From what we’ve heard the schools are all really good as far as academics so I guess we are looking to support their/our interests as far as an area or school goes. They are both into plays/musicals and love art. They aren’t super into sports, but my 9th grade did mention maybe trying out for badminton to meet some friends?? I do like how some of the schools keep 6th grade in elementary (my youngest could probably use another year and it might be easier to meet friends in that atmosphere?) but certainly not a deal breaker.

My oldest also rides horses (dressage or English) so we will also need to find her a barn.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated! Our budget is 400k or preferably under. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 10:21 AM

5,832 posts, read 6,705,345 times
We can highly recommend this stable to you. It’s in Lakeville.
Golden Ridge Stables, Inc.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:23 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,408,498 times
For centrality I would look at Eagan. Very safe, greatvschools, you can get a good home for 400k. Eden prairie would work too but would be a longer drive to the St Paul side.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We can highly recommend this stable to you. It’s in Lakeville.
Golden Ridge Stables, Inc.
Thank you! We will check it out!

Old 05-27-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
For centrality I would look at Eagan. Very safe, greatvschools, you can get a good home for 400k. Eden prairie would work too but would be a longer drive to the St Paul side.
We actually drove through Eagan yesterday and thought it was beautiful. It is on our short list for sure. We just weren’t sure what feel the community would have. Might check out the public library today? Thank you for your reply!

Old 05-27-2018, 07:26 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,110,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringins View Post
We actually drove through Eagan yesterday and thought it was beautiful. It is on our short list for sure. We just weren’t sure what feel the community would have. Might check out the public library today? Thank you for your reply!
So I lived in Barrington for a few years, then my family moved to Eagan when I was 14. Eagan is one of the better suburbs in my opinion. Lots of families, activities, good public services, a nice Central Park, and centrally located. It was a fabulous place to grow up and be rasied, from the schools, safety, etc. You mentioned parks and trails, lebenon hills is great for that.

It did not have a close-nit feel however , but in fairness none of the MN locales I have lived in have, it's not our strong suit.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:50 PM

2,466 posts, read 1,487,971 times
Maple Grove might be a good choice. Osseo school district. There are three high schools in Osseo district of which I think Maple Grove High is the better of the three. Maple Grove is a suburb of Minneapolis on the Northwest side. I would stick with Maple Grove Hs, Wayzata district , or Hopkins school district, all of which are in the North Western suburbs of Minneapolis.

My niece rode horses in competition both dressage and Western both which she learn at a nice barn in Corcoran, not to far from Maple Grove and Plymouth. They have boarding, lessons, and have horses usually available for that. Sometimes owners of horses will lease a horse too. Plymouth is a very nice suburb too. Neice went to Wayzata (Wayzata High school) school district and they had some sort of riding club there too. My niece& sister live in Plymouth.

I will see if I can figure out where that stable is and add in a bit.
Found it, here is link: RideSport Stables - Home
It is well run, clean and horses are well looked after, family friendly, nice people, but of course not inexpensive.

Lots of great parks, city, and Hennepin County parks, trails.
https://www.hennepin.us/bikeplan#navigation
Check out the sticky post under the Minnesota category.
Western suburbs are part of and near the areas you listed with the exception of Oakdale, White Bear Lake, St. Paul, but not so far away as Eagan, but Eagan is really nice.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 05-27-2018 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 06:38 AM

3,516 posts, read 4,545,447 times
I don't live in Eagan, but it would be on my short list if I had to live near St. Paul. There are TWO Indian restaurants in the Eagan Town Centre, and that is the deal clincher.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:05 AM

Thank you all for your replies! We spent Memorial Day weekend exploring Eagan and we really liked what we saw. When we return in two weeks we will make sure to check our Maple Geoce, as well. Your input is appreciated!

Old 05-30-2018, 01:46 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,230,636 times
Make sure to go check out the Maple Grove Library, bandshell (Town Green), Central Park, and the ice skating loop (at central park, but obviously closed for the season) when you come back. Also, for trails and such, swing up into the Elm Creek Park Reserve. ~30 miles of beautiful paved trails, as well as mountain bike , hiking, and horseback trails as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul