Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Yes!! Bring a MLS team to Downtown Saint Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
It would make a ton more sense for an MLS team to play in the new Vikings stadium (if built). It would provide more reason for a stadium to be built if a pro team could use the facility through the summer months.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 964 times
My preference for a Name would the the Minnesota Kicks. i Hate the Euro Names it makes the MLS look like a trashy league trying to imitate bigger clubs. Use more American names. also it adds a bit of history to the club, something the MLS needs more of.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
I don't think the Twin City market is big enough to support 5 Pro sports teams if an MLS team is added. 4 teams is already enough for its media market size.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
For me it either has to be Minnesota Kicks, or a Euro-style name - can't be anything else! Speaking of Euro-style names, I don't care if its Minnesota FC, FC Minnesota, Minnesota SC, Inter-Minnesota, AC Minnesota, or Dynamo Minnesota, etc just as long as its in consideration!
Being back the Kicks name would be awesome!

Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't think the Twin City market is big enough to support 5 Pro sports teams if an MLS team is added. 4 teams is already enough for its media market size.
It's not a zero sum game unless the MLS games directly conflict with baseball or something. Even with seasonal overlaps, I suspect the audiences will be somewhat different.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's not a zero sum game unless the MLS games directly conflict with baseball or something. Even with seasonal overlaps, I suspect the audiences will be somewhat different.
I agree. I think a decent chunk of possible MN MLS fans might be Latino and African immigrants that are not big fans of any of the other major league teams here. Even without the large number of immigrants that we now have in the area the old MN Kicks had an average attendance ranging from 16,000-32,000 which is in the current average MLS attendance range.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:47 PM

127 posts, read 192,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
It would make a ton more sense for an MLS team to play in the new Vikings stadium (if built). It would provide more reason for a stadium to be built if a pro team could use the facility through the summer months.

Yeah, it would be a nice bonus. Apparently, the MLS is in a position to be picky. The weird thing is that if a community invests in a 24K seat soccer specific stadium, wouldn't you eventually want that to become obsolete? Wouldn't you take 50K fans in a large football stadium if there was enough demand for it? Granted that would take quite a bit of time.

Maybe Zygi has had talks with the MLS to see what would be needed to get the exception that Seattle got. My hunch is that it's probably attendance figures that we wouldn't be able meet.

There is a professional field lacrosse league, but I'm almost surprised it isn't a bigger outfit than what it currently is. If that was marketed like the summertime answer to the NFL, you would think they might be able to fill a large portion of NFL stadiums on the east coast. I could see tailgating and contact sports being a very big summer time tradition at an Arden Hills stadium in 2025.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
I agree. I think a decent chunk of possible MN MLS fans might be Latino and African immigrants that are not big fans of any of the other major league teams here. Even without the large number of immigrants that we now have in the area the old MN Kicks had an average attendance ranging from 16,000-32,000 which is in the current average MLS attendance range.
Not just immigrants. My former roommate is a white suburbanite from the Milwaukee area and he (and others) would attend many MLS games if they were accessible in the Twin Cities.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Not just immigrants. My former roommate is a white suburbanite from the Milwaukee area and he (and others) would attend many MLS games if they were accessible in the Twin Cities.
Definitely not just immigrants. I think the area has plenty of support all around for it. I bet the team could hit the top 5 for MLS attendance in the first year if they have a stadium with enough seats and a good fan experience. The MN Kicks had an average attendance of 32,775 in 1977, only Seattle beats that average attendance now in MLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul