U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:43 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,465,721 times

Advertisements

The Twin Cities usually has pretty good weather, actually. There are only a handful of days a year when the weather is truly bad.

Or do you mean winter? Americans in general do tend to be delicate little flowers about the cold — it's all part of the culture of prioritizing comfort and convenience above everything else. Want to drive 1/8 of a mile to go through the McDonalds drive-thru? Why not! Want to be a slob and refuse to wear anything more than a t-shirt and flip flops in January? Just pay through the nose to live somewhere else!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 11:18 AM

8,279 posts, read 10,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The Twin Cities usually has pretty good weather, actually. There are only a handful of days a year when the weather is truly bad.

Or do you mean winter? Americans in general do tend to be delicate little flowers about the cold — it's all part of the culture of prioritizing comfort and convenience above everything else. Want to drive 1/8 of a mile to go through the McDonalds drive-thru? Why not! Want to be a slob and refuse to wear anything more than a t-shirt and flip flops in January? Just pay through the nose to live somewhere else!
Have to agree here. On select occasions, MSP can get extremely cold, but that doesn't mean the entire winter will be like that. If you're a Floridian, perhaps one should think carefully before leaping, but it does depend on your individual preferences. After all, MSP is the coldest major metro area in the nation, but it's hardly uninhabitable.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 PM

70 posts, read 44,148 times
Quote:

The problem is, the summers are actually pretty miserable in MN as well, very hot and humid, especially lately.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:28 PM

5,834 posts, read 6,464,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhg View Post
The problem is, the summers are actually pretty miserable in MN as well, very hot and humid, especially lately.
Not really.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:11 PM

225 posts, read 154,666 times
Quote:
People say that and I just think how much opinion is based on experience. Humid? Haha.

I'm coming from Atlanta, before that I was in central SC, grew up near the Atlantic...there is no comparison. It is so amazingly dry here. I didn't know it could be so dry and cool in any place in America. It gets fairly hot and slightly humid sometimes, like today, but it doesn't last long.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:01 PM

70 posts, read 44,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
People say that and I just think how much opinion is based on experience. Humid? Haha.

I'm coming from Atlanta, before that I was in central SC, grew up near the Atlantic...there is no comparison. It is so amazingly dry here. I didn't know it could be so dry and cool in any place in America. It gets fairly hot and slightly humid sometimes, like today, but it doesn't last long.
I was in the cities in Mid/late June this summer and it was quite humid to me, even at 10pm as we sat outside. I think it was unusually hot and maybe humid too though. I guess I'm used to Washington summers now.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 PM

2,485 posts, read 1,971,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis were also growing cities at some point...like Minneapolis. Time and experience has not caught up with you guys yet. And I think the people in the Twin Cities are not at all capable of handling adversity, so God be with you. For your sake, I hope you don't deal with what those others cities had to deal with. If you're smart, you'll learn from their histories so you won't repeat their mistakes.
I think those cities declined for specific reasons. It's a city's job to avoid these causes.

TC has benefited greatly from its diverse economy. Despite its cold winters, the economy is still strong.

In fact, in this case, winter is the primary reason that our quality of life is better because it holds down housing cost.

TC's median household income is slightly lower than that of Seattle, but its median home price is dramatically lower than that of Seattle. That means you got more money to work on other things, such as education, family, vacation, and you can improve your marriage and even sex. Winter is the only thing that keeps enough people away.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I was in the cities in Mid/late June this summer and it was quite humid to me, even at 10pm as we sat outside. I think it was unusually hot and maybe humid too though. I guess I'm used to Washington summers now.
Nothing compares with west coast dry weather. But TC is hardly considered humid compared with much of the southern U.S.

TC does get hot and humid, but never for that long. If you don't have an outdoor job, it's nothing. And whenever it's that hot and humid, you bet that a storm is coming quickly and is gone quickly. It then returns to the dry and pleasant days like the majority of summer here.

The only downside is winter. But people should know that winter is the only things that's keeping out too many people. If Minneapolis is on the west coast, you'll be paying through the nose.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Winters can be brutally cold, but recent years also saw relatively mild winters. A couple of years ago, it was regularly lingering around 25-35 degrees F. That's very warm for the TC. I remember the snow melted quite completely a few times in January and February.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:03 AM

1,082 posts, read 688,027 times
Quote:
They really aren't that miserable, comparatively.

The far southern part of the state is hot and humid, but only marginally more than the rest of the state. The humidity is comparable most of the eastern part of the country. 100s are still rare. Most of the southern half of a state arguably has a great summer. Now, if we are talking about the northern half of the state that everyone forgets, it puts up a fight against even the Pudget Sound for quality of summer. Duluth is probably one of coolest cities in Summertime with a daily summertime mean less than Seattle. Duluth hasn't hit 100 since the Dust Bowl era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul