U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 12:51 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,073,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Because Minnesota elected Mark Dayton as their governor, not Scott Walker and his Koch cronies. People move where the jobs are, and millennials (which Minneapolis has gained) help shape the economy.

BTW, I am not trying to start a political war, but as a Wisconsin resident I have felt the adverse effects of Walker's attacks on public education and state employees.
Quote:
Job growth since December 2010 has been markedly stronger in Minnesota than Wisconsin, with Minnesota experiencing 11.0 percent growth in total nonfarm employment, compared with only 7.9 percent growth in Wisconsin. Minnesota’s job growth was better than Wisconsin’s in the overall private sector (12.5 percent vs. 9.7 percent) and in higher-wage industries, such as construction (38.6 percent vs. 26.0 percent) and education and health care (17.3 percent vs. 11.0 percent).

From 2010 to 2017, wages grew faster in Minnesota than in Wisconsin at every decile in the wage distribution. Low-wage workers experienced much stronger growth in Minnesota than Wisconsin, with inflation-adjusted wages at the 10th and 20th percentile rising by 8.6 percent and 9.7 percent, respectively, in Minnesota vs. 6.3 percent and 6.4 percent in Wisconsin.

Gender wage gaps also shrank more in Minnesota than in Wisconsin. From 2010 to 2017, women’s median wage as a share of men’s median wage rose by 3.0 percentage points in Minnesota, and by 1.5 percentage points in Wisconsin.

Median household income in Minnesota grew by 7.2 percent from 2010 to 2016. In Wisconsin, it grew by 5.1 percent over the same period. Median family income exhibited a similar pattern, growing 8.5 percent in Minnesota compared with 6.4 percent in Wisconsin.

Minnesota made greater progress than Wisconsin in reducing overall poverty, child poverty, and poverty as measured under the Census Bureau’s Supplemental Poverty Measure. As of 2016, the overall poverty rate in Wisconsin as measured in the American Community Survey (11.8 percent) was still roughly as high as the poverty rate in Minnesota at its peak in the wake of the Great Recession (11.9 percent, in 2011).

Minnesota residents were more likely to have health insurance than their counterparts in Wisconsin, with stronger insurance take-up of both public and private health insurance since 2010.

From 2010 to 2017, Minnesota has had stronger overall economic growth (12.8 percent vs. 10.1 percent), stronger growth per worker (3.4 percent vs. 2.7 percent), and stronger population growth (5.1 percent vs. 1.9 percent) than Wisconsin. In fact, over the whole period—as well as in the most recent year—more people have been moving out of Wisconsin to other states than have been moving in from elsewhere in the U.S. The same is not true of Minnesota.
https://www.epi.org/publication/as-w...han-wisconsin/
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 01:11 PM

23,572 posts, read 24,659,790 times
I wish Wisconsin would see to the desperate conditions their residents are forced to endure. I live on the western bank of the St Croix River and the caterwauling emitting from the sod hovels on the other side of the river are enough to keeps us awake at night and have affected the cows' milk production. We tried to push some food over on a raft but the current just took it on downstream.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:05 PM

31,376 posts, read 69,795,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Why is Minneapolis Growing Faster than Rest of Midwest?
John Sandford and Garrison Keilor

Old 06-22-2018, 05:14 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,024,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I wish Wisconsin would see to the desperate conditions their residents are forced to endure. I live on the western bank of the St Croix River and the caterwauling emitting from the sod hovels on the other side of the river are enough to keeps us awake at night and have affected the cows' milk production. We tried to push some food over on a raft but the current just took it on downstream.

let them eat cheese.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:41 PM

3,524 posts, read 1,799,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Well put!

I might also add that there isn't as large of a ultra-low income population here with fields of ghettos in the process of being abandoned like you may find in some of the largest, poorest, and most segregated Midwestern cities. For example, the one and only reason Chicago's city/metro population isn't growing -- and would be growing at a fairly moderate clip -- is because its worst ghettos are emptying out and it's offsetting some of the good things going on in the core and the suburbs. That all being said, I do believe that Minneapolis' (and St. Paul's) worst neighborhoods ARE actually losing population as well, but the scale isn't anything near as big as other Midwestern cities.

Why aren't ghettos emptying out a good thing?

Old 06-22-2018, 06:43 PM

3,524 posts, read 1,799,979 times
I'm not in love with Minnesota....not everyone is enamored. I, actually, like Wisconsin better. The population distribution is a big thing, as well as proximity to Chicago, and Lake Michigan.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:23 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,617,667 times
My brother and his wife LOVE the Twin Cities! Jobs !! Low crime, great QOL! It took some getting used to the Minnesota folks( God forbid they hear the slightest bit of criticism; plus the Vikings NEVER lost a big game- any game not won is a big NFL conspiracy dontcha know!!) But otherwise a great place!!

Old 06-24-2018, 07:10 AM

92 posts, read 93,830 times
I was kind of wanting to move my family up there because of the weather.... No(few) sports for kids all summer here in Florida secondary to heat and humidity. I understand in MN there are indoor facilities in colder months, plus lots of cold weather outdoor activities for kids, then obviously warmer months are for being active outside.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:17 PM

112 posts, read 100,399 times
The diverse economy is the biggest reason. The cities are not dependent on one segment such as manufacturing. High salaries relative to cost of living are a big factor too. While housing costs are certainly going up, the average person can still buy a house here.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:18 PM

15,803 posts, read 10,098,414 times
deleted a bunch of partisan political posts that didn’t even address the OP. Keep it local and on topic - and no political trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul