U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2018, 03:47 PM
 
4,154 posts, read 2,492,493 times
Reputation: 5563

Advertisements

Am I? Interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2018, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities
5,834 posts, read 6,458,107 times
Reputation: 8761
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Am I? Interesting.
C’mon, put some effort into it. These lazy ass responses are beneath you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Riding a rock floating through space
2,661 posts, read 1,002,455 times
Reputation: 6319
MN winters suck and the taxes are really high. The people in general are cliquish and cold. The mosquitos are the absolute worst in the entire country, possibly the entire continent.
However, Minneapolis is a happening city, the diversity and quality of people is really high, the economy is great, the lakes are fantastic.
Bottom line is I lived there from a baby till 27 and haven't been back - although I do miss some things and have lots of good memories from people I knew there, they aren't enough to overcome the negatives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 08:19 PM
 
Location: MINNEAPOLIS, MN
16 posts, read 16,499 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
MN winters suck and the taxes are really high. The people in general are cliquish and cold. The mosquitos are the absolute worst in the entire country, possibly the entire continent.
However, Minneapolis is a happening city, the diversity and quality of people is really high, the economy is great, the lakes are fantastic.
Bottom line is I lived there from a baby till 27 and haven't been back - although I do miss some things and have lots of good memories from people I knew there, they aren't enough to overcome the negatives.
I don't find the mosquito situation in "The Cities" to be bad at all. Most of the rural Upper Midwest, during wet summers however, that's a different story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
23,572 posts, read 24,750,748 times
Reputation: 36635
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
MN winters suck and the taxes are really high. The people in general are cliquish and cold. The mosquitos are the absolute worst in the entire country, possibly the entire continent.
However, Minneapolis is a happening city, the diversity and quality of people is really high, the economy is great, the lakes are fantastic.
Bottom line is I lived there from a baby till 27 and haven't been back - although I do miss some things and have lots of good memories from people I knew there, they aren't enough to overcome the negatives.

thank you for your honesty, seeing it from your perspective is a real eye opener and refreshing. Looking forward to more of your insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 09:26 PM
Status: "Black lives still matter!" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: WI/MN resident
485 posts, read 303,411 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
No and no.
I think Minneapolis is a very liberal city (could be a reason why this city is increasingly attracting Millennials). Just today, a Black Lives Matter protest nearly shut down downtown and almost blocked traffic today. As a POC, I agree with the message they're trying to convey, but I was late for one of my business meetings because of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 09:32 PM
 
4,154 posts, read 2,492,493 times
Reputation: 5563
What do protesters have to do with liberalism? Also, I believe Minnesota passed a legislation making it a crime to block the highways. Passing legislation to stifle free speech doesn't strike me as liberal or progressive. BLM and other groups essentially have no power, yet you seek to block--via the courts--the few ways they exercise their free speech via peaceful protests. Nice.


ETA


BTW, that's all I'm going to say on the matter. Don't think you're going to bait me into a conversation about BLM. I don't care about or follow their activities.

Last edited by treemoni; 07-31-2018 at 09:41 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 09:43 PM
Status: "Black lives still matter!" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: WI/MN resident
485 posts, read 303,411 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
What do protesters have to do with liberalism? Also, I believe Minnesota passed a legislation making it a crime to block the highways. Passing legislation to stifle free speech doesn't strike me as liberal or progressive. BLM and other groups essentially have no power, yet you seek to block--via the courts--the few ways they exercise their free speech via peaceful protests. Nice.


ETA


BTW, that's all I'm going to say on the matter. Don't think you're going to bait me into a conversation about BLM. I don't care about or follow their activities.
Wow, jeez. I'm sorry if I infuriated you. I wasn't even going to "bait" you into talking about anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 09:45 PM
 
4,154 posts, read 2,492,493 times
Reputation: 5563
I'm not infuriated. I just find it interesting that of all the things to use as examples of Minnesota liberalism, you thought a BLM protest was your best shot. It's not, for multiple reasons. The most important being, I don't relate to them...and nobody should assume a person does just because of their race.



Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis
256 posts, read 225,690 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I think Minneapolis is a very liberal city (could be a reason why this city is increasingly attracting Millennials). Just today, a Black Lives Matter protest nearly shut down downtown and almost blocked traffic today. As a POC, I agree with the message they're trying to convey, but I was late for one of my business meetings because of it.

Yeah, it's pretty well established that not only are we, as a nation, increasingly divided by political ideology, but we also are increasingly dividing ourselves geographically to the same ends. It stands to reason that a lot of the "young professionals" and others that have been choosing Minneapolis do so at least in part because of its reputation as a liberal area. There are other factors for sure, but it has to at least enter into the conversation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top