U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-01-2018, 07:57 AM
 
1,349 posts, read 1,336,788 times
Reputation: 2370

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursicinus View Post
Yeah, it's pretty well established that not only are we, as a nation, increasingly divided by political ideology, but we also are increasingly dividing ourselves geographically to the same ends. It stands to reason that a lot of the "young professionals" and others that have been choosing Minneapolis do so at least in part because of its reputation as a liberal area. There are other factors for sure, but it has to at least enter into the conversation.
People have always self-selected into tribes or groups. Immigrants move to areas with a high percentage of other immigrants from their same region. Religious communities cluster around churches/synagogues/mosques. Wealthy people with means build new neighborhoods where the COL is high enough to keep out lower income people.

If you are a recent college grad looking for a strong career growth trajectory you will flock to urban areas. Education is another selecting factor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 PM
 
Location: North America
3,515 posts, read 1,210,586 times
Reputation: 14529
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
MN winters suck and the taxes are really high. The people in general are cliquish and cold. The mosquitos are the absolute worst in the entire country, possibly the entire continent.
However, Minneapolis is a happening city, the diversity and quality of people is really high, the economy is great, the lakes are fantastic.
Bottom line is I lived there from a baby till 27 and haven't been back - although I do miss some things and have lots of good memories from people I knew there, they aren't enough to overcome the negatives.

Right.

Minnesota has a state/local tax burden of about 10.8%. You don't say where you live, but considering all the posts in the Arkansas forum and its Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers sub-forum, let me guess... Arkansas? Well, it has a state/local tax burden of about 10.1%. That's a difference of 0.7%, or $7 per $1k of income. On a median U.S. income of $60k, that's a savings of $420 per year. Or, if paid bi-weekly, about $16 per paycheck.
https://taxfoundation.org/publicatio...rden-rankings/

Of course, the median income is not uniform. In Minnesota, a high income state, it's over $20k a year higher than in Arkansas. You can do the math, but you're clearing many thousands more, after taxes, in Minnesota than in Arkansas on the respective median incomes. This illustrates with the notion of 'high taxes' in and of itself is so meaningless.
https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...annual-income/

Now, my point is not to assert that Minnesota is a better place to live than Arkansas. Such judgments are entirely subjective. People should live where they want to live. But they should also be honest about that, and not try and claim that it's because of taxes, because no thinking person decides to live in Place B because they can play slightly less in taxes on a significantly smaller income than they would in Place A.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD
3,677 posts, read 2,617,063 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
LOL ... you think that blizzard stopped at the border, don't you, genius?


https://www.wpr.org/spring-snowstorm...ords-wisconsin

Psssst! That's even more than it dropped on Minnesota. That said, it remains an outlier in Wisconsin, just as it was in Minnesota. Which was the point. A point that went right over your head.

PS - The irony of your inferiority complex compelling you to jump into a thread about the Minneapolis growth rate... and desperately try and change the subject to the Vikings... is priceless! Keep 'em coming!

Hey Einstein- the poster I responded to was talking about Minnesota weather- he felt upset that anyone dare suggest Minnesota has bad winters; and NO where did I say it was ONLY Minnesota- please point out where I said it was ONLY Minnesota!!
The topic was Minnesota winters and I responded accordingly. Yes the blizzard hit a lot of places, but DO try and keep up. I Will spell it out for you and even type sloooooooowly:
The April 2018 blizzard that hit Minnesota may in fact have crossed borders, but regardless, it illustrates that winters in Minnesota can indeed be harsh and long!! You understand NOW??
That poster I was responding to and NOW you, are apparently VERY sensitive to Minnesota criticism- his response( always defensive about MN) prompted me to write what I did, plus You both getting your lace knickers in such a knot proved me right- you ALL are VERY sensitive little men there. Why so touchy? I have my theories but they may go against TOS and i KNOW you'd run to the mods.

Last edited by LeaveWI; 08-02-2018 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Undies in a bundle Minnesota people
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities
5,808 posts, read 6,420,175 times
Reputation: 8705
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hey Einstein- the poster I responded to was talking about Minnesota weather- he felt upset that anyone dare suggest Minnesota has bad winters; and NO where did I say it was ONLY Minnesota- please point out where I said it was ONLY Minnesota!!
The topic was Minnesota winters and I responded accordingly. Yes the blizzard hit a lot of places, but DO try and keep up. I Will spell it out for you and even type sloooooooowly:
The April 2018 blizzard that hit Minnesota may in fact have crossed borders, but regardless, it illustrates that winters in Minnesota can indeed be harsh and long!! You understand NOW??
That poster I was responding to and NOW you, are apparently VERY sensitive to Minnesota criticism- his response( always defensive about MN) prompted me to write what I did, plus You both getting your lace knickers in such a knot proved me right- you ALL are VERY sensitive little men there. Why so touchy? I have my theories but they may go against TOS and i KNOW you'd run to the mods.
People may get “touchy” because you misrepresent what they said.

Since I am the poster to whom you were responding, I must clarify that, unlike you, I was never “upset” about anything said about the weather and was merely correcting some factual errors and exaggeration.

You may now unknot your undies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,578 posts, read 1,449,402 times
Reputation: 3024
Lots of tall poppy syndrome exhibiting itself in this thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Isanti County, Minnesota
3,656 posts, read 5,225,392 times
Reputation: 5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Right.

Minnesota has a state/local tax burden of about 10.8%. You don't say where you live, but considering all the posts in the Arkansas forum and its Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers sub-forum, let me guess... Arkansas? Well, it has a state/local tax burden of about 10.1%. That's a difference of 0.7%, or $7 per $1k of income. On a median U.S. income of $60k, that's a savings of $420 per year. Or, if paid bi-weekly, about $16 per paycheck.
https://taxfoundation.org/publicatio...rden-rankings/

Of course, the median income is not uniform. In Minnesota, a high income state, it's over $20k a year higher than in Arkansas. You can do the math, but you're clearing many thousands more, after taxes, in Minnesota than in Arkansas on the respective median incomes. This illustrates with the notion of 'high taxes' in and of itself is so meaningless.
https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...annual-income/

Now, my point is not to assert that Minnesota is a better place to live than Arkansas. Such judgments are entirely subjective. People should live where they want to live. But they should also be honest about that, and not try and claim that it's because of taxes, because no thinking person decides to live in Place B because they can play slightly less in taxes on a significantly smaller income than they would in Place A.
Ironic that I happened upon this post, because we are living in Minnesota instead of Arkansas because of what you're talking about. We were living in north Texas when we discovered the Ouachita and Ozark mountains of Arkansas and fell in love with them immediately, to the point we put everything we had into moving there - until we discovered how egregiously low the wages were compared to the overall COL. We first tried to move to Hot Springs or Little Rock, then Fayetteville and the NWA region, only to find that the wages (I'm a registered Cat Scan tech) in all of those areas were among the lowest in the entire nation. Now, many Arkansans like to toot their supposedly low COL as a soothing salve for said wages, but our research - and we did a lot of it - indicated otherwise. Bottom line, we would have had to take a MASSIVE pay cut on basically the same COL scale when all was figured in to live in Arkansas. That's a place that's far friendlier on the pocketbooks of retirees than for working folks with families. Upon discovering this we shifted our focus to Minnesota, another place we had always loved being native Midwesterners, and where we knew the robust wages would better support our family of 6 - again, after all COL factors were figured in. People down south warned us of Minnesota's high taxes and COL, but here we are a year and a half later doing great and settling into a great home bought at a great price. We may still live in Arkansas someday, but coming here to Minnesota at this point in our lives was definitely the right decision - for us. It's a beautiful place with a bounty of well paying jobs, very good schools, and a still reasonable (very reasonable IMO considering what you get around here) COL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 02:03 PM
 
4,154 posts, read 2,475,965 times
Reputation: 5563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Lots of tall poppy syndrome exhibiting itself in this thread.

I had to Google this. You have got to be kidding. Minnesota is a legend only in the mind of Minnesotans. It's fascinating watching people who barely venture out of their comfort zone talk about how their comfort zone is superior to every other place. How would you even know?? Hilarious.


The irony is that Minnesotans have internalized "Tall Poppy Sydrome", which is why they beat outsiders into submission or demand they leave their perfect place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Isanti County, Minnesota
3,656 posts, read 5,225,392 times
Reputation: 5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I had to Google this. You have got to be kidding. Minnesota is a legend only in the mind of Minnesotans. It's fascinating watching people who barely venture out of their comfort zone talk about how their comfort zone is superior to every other place. How would you even know?? Hilarious
Can't speak for the other poster, but I would know. I've lived in 8 states spread out across the nation in my 49 years and after a year and a half in Minnesota it has quickly ascended to the top of my favorite places to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2018, 12:07 AM
 
8,279 posts, read 10,352,748 times
Reputation: 10009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Ironic that I happened upon this post, because we are living in Minnesota instead of Arkansas because of what you're talking about. We were living in north Texas when we discovered the Ouachita and Ozark mountains of Arkansas and fell in love with them immediately, to the point we put everything we had into moving there - until we discovered how egregiously low the wages were compared to the overall COL. We first tried to move to Hot Springs or Little Rock, then Fayetteville and the NWA region, only to find that the wages (I'm a registered Cat Scan tech) in all of those areas were among the lowest in the entire nation. Now, many Arkansans like to toot their supposedly low COL as a soothing salve for said wages, but our research - and we did a lot of it - indicated otherwise. Bottom line, we would have had to take a MASSIVE pay cut on basically the same COL scale when all was figured in to live in Arkansas. That's a place that's far friendlier on the pocketbooks of retirees than for working folks with families. Upon discovering this we shifted our focus to Minnesota, another place we had always loved being native Midwesterners, and where we knew the robust wages would better support our family of 6 - again, after all COL factors were figured in. People down south warned us of Minnesota's high taxes and COL, but here we are a year and a half later doing great and settling into a great home bought at a great price. We may still live in Arkansas someday, but coming here to Minnesota at this point in our lives was definitely the right decision - for us. It's a beautiful place with a bounty of well paying jobs, very good schools, and a still reasonable (very reasonable IMO considering what you get around here) COL.
When people from the South warn you about high Midwestern COL/taxes, please take it with a grain of salt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2018, 02:07 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,578 posts, read 1,449,402 times
Reputation: 3024
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I had to Google this. You have got to be kidding. Minnesota is a legend only in the mind of Minnesotans. It's fascinating watching people who barely venture out of their comfort zone talk about how their comfort zone is superior to every other place. How would you even know?? Hilarious.

The irony is that Minnesotans have internalized "Tall Poppy Sydrome", which is why they beat outsiders into submission or demand they leave their perfect place.


The fact that you waste so much of your precious time and effort to overzealously disparage a city/state you clearly don't like for whatever random reason is what I find fascinating, personally.

But hey, you do you, dude.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top