Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifhluk View Post
It does upset me. We have a great city, this big beautiful lake and Chicago close by but yous guys are kicking our butt in every quality of life measurement. We are (probably like many other younger Milwaukeeans) strongly considering moving to Minneapolis.
I work with three different people in my department who have all moved here from the Milwaukee area; two more who are from other places in Wisconsin.

There's just more going on here in the Twin Cities than can be offered in Wisconsin cities, which I frankly find sad because I really like Wisconsin and think, as a whole, its cities have a massive amount of potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Maybe it’s Packers fans who see the writing on the wall and jumping off the bandwagon....?

Old 07-20-2018, 07:10 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I work with three different people in my department who have all moved here from the Milwaukee area; two more who are from other places in Wisconsin.

There's just more going on here in the Twin Cities than can be offered in Wisconsin cities, which I frankly find sad because I really like Wisconsin and think, as a whole, its cities have a massive amount of potential.

Minnesota has the Twin Cities, where things are going on. Wisconsin has numerous cities where things are going on. Wisconsin, as a whole, has many more interesting cities of size, that are not a part of the Milwaukee metro. All of Minnesota's cities of size are part of the Twin Cities metro. That's a big part of why I prefer Wisconsin. Well, and proximity to Chicago, and downtown Milwaukee on Lake Michigan.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:21 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pifhluk View Post
It does upset me. We have a great city, this big beautiful lake and Chicago close by but yous guys are kicking our butt in every quality of life measurement. We are (probably like many other younger Milwaukeeans) strongly considering moving to Minneapolis.

I don't get it. You sound like you don't understand why people don't like Milwaukee, which implies that you like it. Why move to the Twin Cities if you like Milwaukee, just because other people like the Twin Cities and are moving there? It's like dumping your mate that you find has everything you need.....because other people are not attracted to them like you are and now you want to date people that other people find attractive too.

Is your goal popularity or happiness....or are they one and the same?

Old 07-23-2018, 05:15 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,702,684 times
The reason is because people want to be here.

Quote:
Minnesota has bucked the trend of net population loss due to domestic migration common among other states in the region. Midwestern states in general have seen a significant net migration to southern and western states—a trend driven in large part by retiring baby-boomers in search of warmer climes. Yet Minnesota is experiencing only a tiny loss of tax filers and exemptions and a small increase in population due to domestic migration.
And people want to be here because of what the state offers.

Quote:
IRS and Census Bureau information shows that—unlike the rest of the Midwest—Minnesota has averted a significant loss in tax filers and population due to domestic migration. These findings complement data from other sources which show that Minnesota has surpassed the national average in job, GDP, and income growth over the last decade.
https://northstarpolicy.org/no-signi...from-minnesota

Old 07-23-2018, 06:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
The simple reason might involve the idea that Minnesota just might be the best state in the Midwest. It certainly might be the most progressive (although Illinois might still take that title, because of Chicago). Wisconsin might yet revert back to its former positive, but right now it has turned down a very dark path because of Scott Walker, the college drop-out regressive governor of a formerly proud state.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
All of Minnesota's cities of size are part of the Twin Cities metro

Wrong. St. Cloud, Duluth, Rochester, Mankato and Moorhead all have metro populations of 100,000 and up and none are part of the Twin Cities metro.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Wrong. St. Cloud, Duluth, Rochester, Mankato and Moorhead all have metro populations of 100,000 and up and none are part of the Twin Cities metro.
Still.... What Minnesota is missing, is a Madison.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:41 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Madison's a nice town, but the only thing I agree with here is that I do wish the U of M were in a similar sized town such as St. Cloud or Rochester, rather than downtown Minneapolis. I like the college town experience, even though I realize Madison is a government center as well. We toured the capitol building there, it's a great structure.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:59 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,520 times
Quote:
If one would define "a Madison" as a liberal college town in close proximity to nature, hipster beer scene, a noticeable downtown, and within 3 hours of a major city, then Minnesota has a Madison. It is called Duluth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul