Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,230 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is relocating to the Minneapolis area for a job. We have visited once, but want to try to get a local's perspective on the towns we're considering before putting an offer on a house. Please share your experience with where crime is high, nice place for families (we have a large family), what is considered the more ritzy parts of town or where are people running from, is any particular area booming and up-and-coming, etc. We have five children, so highly rated schools are a super bonus.

The areas where the houses we are considering are below. Please be brutally honest. We're tired of relocating and don't want to move again. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Andover - Ham Lake - Victoria - Lakeville - Blaine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 07:47 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
There is virtually no crime in any of these places. The west side is the “ritzy” part of town, the north side is more lower middle class. Not sure where you’ll be working but you should factor that in. Some if these could lead to very long commutes.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:29 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,375 times
I live in Victoria (and LOVE it)-- not all that familiar with the other areas that you're considering (other than Lakeville)-- but my understanding is that Blaine, Ham Lake and Andover's schools wouldn't be quite as highly regarded as either Victoria (which would attend District 112 and Chan High, which is ranked around #8 in the state) or Lakeville (though I don't know the rankings, nor whether you'd be in the zone for Lakeville North or South). Rankings/ratings aren't everything, but they're helpful-ish.

Victoria has a pretty high median income (one of the highest in the country, in fact-- I believe it's approximately $110K)-- people tend to be very educated (but I don't find it snobby nor does it have the same "uppity" reputation as do both Edina or Wayzata-- but I've also lived in NYC and just outside Boca Raton, FL, so I may not be the best judge)-- there's a decent number of transplants (which, as a transplant myself, I appreciate)-- there's a cute downtown (with shops-- mostly boutiques-- and restaurants, no grocery store in town, though there are plenty within 10-12 minutes: Cub, Super Target, Kowalski's, Lunds & Byerly's, ALDI, Mackenthun's and, soon, Hy-Vee-- plus Costco, Whole Foods, Fresh Thyme and Trader Joe's are all within 20-25 minutes) and it's close enough to enjoy Minneapolis and the closer in suburbs without living in the middle of hustle and bustle.

The headquarters of Lifetime is in Chanhassen (so, depending on where in Victoria you live, it's 5-15 minutes away)-- there's also the Victoria Rec Center (which will be getting a pool within the next few years, but is nothing super exciting unless you play hockey or ice skate). Lots of parks, lakes, and outdoor activities.

Excelsior and Lake Minnetonka is 15 minutes away-- and you can get to downtown or the airport in 25-30 minutes without traffic.

The housing stock can vary from older, historical homes (not many of these) to 70 split levels (not many of these) to 'cookie cutter' from the mid-90s and newer-- including TONS of new builds (lots of these). Median housing is just north of $400K-- and your money goes pretty far as far as suburbs go. To get a 3-4 bedroom that will have 2000 sq feet (in a non-split level) will cost you $350K+, for $425-$450K you can get a very nicely finished new or existing build with 4 bedrooms and 2500ish sq feet (I have no idea what you're looking for, just giving you some benchmarks). You can also get smaller, older homes for $250-$300K. There are also some condos and townhomes available, typically around the $300K mark.

I'm far from an expert, but feel free to ask me any questions if I can help.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:06 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriset View Post
Hello,

My family is relocating to the Minneapolis area for a job. We have visited once, but want to try to get a local's perspective on the towns we're considering before putting an offer on a house. Please share your experience with where crime is high, nice place for families (we have a large family), what is considered the more ritzy parts of town or where are people running from, is any particular area booming and up-and-coming, etc. We have five children, so highly rated schools are a super bonus.

The areas where the houses we are considering are below. Please be brutally honest. We're tired of relocating and don't want to move again. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'll give you my best personal opinion. I know the south metro better than the other areas, but I've had experiences in all the areas you mention, so I can give my 2 cents:

In general, west metro is higher priced (lake minnetonka and surrounding areas, including Edina), the north metro is more blue collar, the south metro is a nice family friendly mix, and the east metro has a combo.

Higher crime areas are East St. Paul, North Minneapolis, and the Phillips neighborhood. Most people do not otherwise have any solid reason to ever stumble up these areas.

Andover - I have no idea on this one
Ham Lake - a bit out there, driving on Hwy 65 might drive you nuts after awhile. Can get a lot of land
Victoria - parts are ritzy and associated with Lake Minnetonka. somewhat quiet?
Lakeville - This one I know the most about. D194 is a great school district. It's almost a story of 2 cities, southern Lakeville is still farmland in parts, northern lakeville (CR 46 area) is very much connected to the city and feels like a continuation of the suburbs.
Blaine - the blue collar cousin to Lakeville.

I am biased here, but I would choose Lakeville. However, I don't think you could go wrong with the list you chose either.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,230 times
The commute would be to downtown Minneapolis along 6th street (I think- I'd have to look the address up). I was reading about East Bethel being called "East Methel" in another post and was concerned with being too close since the house we're looking at with the highest regard is in northern Andover (close to what looks like the Fire Department and Rum River Central Regional part according to Google maps). The house in Victoria we're looking at is near the U of M Landscape Arboretum, and the houses in Lakeville is just southeast of Marion Lake and just north of it.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
The commute would be to downtown Minneapolis along 6th street (I think- I'd have to look the address up). I was reading about East Bethel being called "East Methel" in another post and was concerned with being too close since the house we're looking at with the highest regard is in northern Andover (close to what looks like the Fire Department and Rum River Central Regional part according to Google maps). The house in Victoria we're looking at is near the U of M Landscape Arboretum, and the houses in Lakeville is just southeast of Marion Lake and just north of it.
Lake Marion is a beautiful if not underrated Lake. If you choose lakeville, I would want to know my proximity to HWY 35 if I was commuting into the city on a daily basis. Lakeville is unique in that it still has a legacy downtown. I wouldn't quite call it thriving, but it is experiencing a small renaissance of brew pubs and restaurants. Also, many suburbs (including just about all the major ones in the south metro) have great express busing options into the city. The Lakeville park and ride at CR 46 allows you to utilize the carpool lane for a very smooth, wifi enabled commute into downtown.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Hello,

Andover - indescript suburb
Ham Lake - indescript suburb
Lakeville - indescript suburb
Blaine - indescript suburb
Victoria - never been there

If you blindfolded me and dumped me in any of the places on your list I wouldn’t be able to muster a guess of where I was. It’s all the same.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:41 PM

50 posts, read 69,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Andover - indescript suburb
Ham Lake - indescript suburb
Lakeville - indescript suburb
Blaine - indescript suburb
Victoria - never been there

If you blindfolded me and dumped me in any of the places on your list I wouldn’t be able to muster a guess of where I was. It’s all the same.
Amazing advice

Old 06-29-2018, 03:40 PM

126 posts, read 244,853 times
I think a critical question here is where is your job going to be? The suburbs you are considering are at all different ends of the metro, from North with Ham Lake, Andover and Blaine to West with Victoria and South of the River with Lakeville. As an example, if your job is going to be in Plymouth or Minnetonka, Victoria might make the most sense or if you are going to be working in Maplewood you might want to look in Ham Lake.

To build on what Cruz Azul Guy said, most of the areas you are looking at are pretty suburban. You might get a bit more land in some than others with Victoria probably being the most expensive and the northern suburbs being less expensive.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:51 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmu View Post
I think a critical question here is where is your job going to be? The suburbs you are considering are at all different ends of the metro, from North with Ham Lake, Andover and Blaine to West with Victoria and South of the River with Lakeville. As an example, if your job is going to be in Plymouth or Minnetonka, Victoria might make the most sense or if you are going to be working in Maplewood you might want to look in Ham Lake.

To build on what Cruz Azul Guy said, most of the areas you are looking at are pretty suburban. You might get a bit more land in some than others with Victoria probably being the most expensive and the northern suburbs being less expensive.
If you are commuting during rush hour, katmu is right. Rush hour across the metro can easily double commute time in good weather and conditions. When winter hits (or even rain, lately it seems) .... and they are not adding capacity to roads here.

If you need to commute, location, location, location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul