U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,744 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple (mid twenties) looking to buy a new home in Robbinsdale off of the east side of Hwy 100 near the border with Crystal. I have a few questions about the general safety of that area and of Robbinsdale in general. The area seems nice when I have driven around it during the day, but I have heard crime tends to be higher there (at least compared to other nearby suburbs) since it borders North Minneapolis. This concerns me a lot. I would like to hear what it's like to live there from people who live or have lived in the Robbinsdale area.

Is it safe to walk around after dark there (for example, walking back home from a downtown restaurant)? Are home break-ins and thefts common? Is it a good place to raise kids? Are there a lot of younger couples with young children in the area? Most importantly, do you generally feel safe and enjoy living in Robbinsdale?

We really like the location and want to live there, but I just want to make sure that I'll feel safe. Any information you can share about the area would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 11:25 PM

56 posts, read 217,174 times
We used to live on the west side of 100, which is a bit better than the area in which you are looking... my son was attacked by 4 thugs walking home from the bus stop after school. They asked him to "run his pockets" and he said No, I have no money.. Some gorilla then sucker punched him and broke 7 teeth.. Thank God a neighbor ran outside and the thugs ran off. He said the 'teenager' who punched him was over 6 feet and 300 lbs at least..
We moved after that...

Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 PM

1,873 posts, read 5,523,109 times
I'm not exactly sure where the area you mention is, but my neighborhood in Minneapolis (Victory) shares a border with Robbinsdale along the Victory Memorial By-Way Park district. We love our area, there are a lot of younger families with children that you see out playing in the parks, and one thing we always find in common when meeting and chatting with other folks on walks is that everyone seems to agree that we live in the "greatest neighborhood". Check out areas by Crystal Lake and the Victory Memorial Parkway in Robbinsdale and/or Minneapolis - it's a safe, nice place to live.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 PM

10,244 posts, read 15,365,686 times
I don't know anything about the neighborhood but I do know that there is a great Russian restaurant off of 36th and France called St. Petersburg. They have a vodka bar with hundreds of different varieties. That place is definitely worth checking out if you decide to live there.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,607 times
Hi, I'm an out-of-towner that is looking into a temporary housing situation right near Ryan Lake (off the Victory memorial parkway and Osseo Road), what is the safety like in that area? Thanks!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 PM

1,873 posts, read 5,523,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftowner21 View Post
Hi, I'm an out-of-towner that is looking into a temporary housing situation right near Ryan Lake (off the Victory memorial parkway and Osseo Road), what is the safety like in that area? Thanks!
Hi Out of Towner, check out threads on this board about "Victory neighborhood" in Minneapolis as the area you mention is likely in Victory or a block/ 2 west of Victory in Robbinsdale. It's a very safe area, low crime rate, and EXTREMELY quiet but with a great small community feel and people.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 PM

250 posts, read 956,103 times
HI,

I know you posted this a while ago and I'm new to the forum. Re: Robbinsdale.

It's HOME FOR ME! I am 33 and my husband is 30. We bought here in 2005 and it's a GREAT city. I grew up in St Paul suburbs but lived in the city during college. It's very much "city" life here. Lots of diversity of all kinds. There are a few rough and tumble situations here but nothing bad has ever happened to us. We have a really tight knit neighborhood block watch, we all get along and talk to each other. I love the downtown Robbinsdale area and how close Robbinsdale is to EVERYTHING. Having the parkway right around the corner is great too!

Re: Safety. To be totally honest, I do not feel safe walking at night anywhere. I work a lot in the Kenwood/Isles neighborhood and that being one of the (if not THE) wealthiest neighborhoods in Minneapolis, I still wouldn't walk around there after dark. You just need to be aware of your surroundings.

I hope you find Robbinsdale to be as rewarding as I have!
Sarah

Old 05-21-2008, 05:09 AM

45 posts, read 168,520 times
Robbinsdale is very safe, only a few petty crime incidents occur in this city

Old 05-23-2008, 10:45 PM

18 posts, read 79,822 times
We live in Camden and hang out in Robbinsdale all the time. Great little place - very small town yet - and they seem to really care about their future. They just got a Wuollets Bakery about a year ago on Main Street, which is a major upscale bakery with locations in Edina, Grand Ave St Paul, and Uptown. I think that is a significant vote of confidence. And one of the restaurants, Thistles, regularly gets great reviews. Another plus - if you want an older home with lots of character, they are one of the few suburbs that have a nice supply of pre-WWII construction. I highly doubt Robbinsdale is slipping away - I just think folks haven't stayed in tune with what is going on there.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:55 AM

250 posts, read 956,103 times
To add to Chewie's thoughts - I keep tabs on Robbinsdale and find that they haven't been hit as hard with the market fallout. I review comps in the area constantly and find that things are selling very well and at or NEAR what people were paying 2 years ago. Two little "grandma 1 and 1/2 stories" (3 bed 1 bath) sold recently (that needed major updating) for 97% of the asking price - the prices of homes like this were the same in '06. Maybe that will change, but for now, it's definitely holding its own. I know by experience the city council and police department devote a lot of time and effort in keeping the city safe, clean, and attractive. You have more rental properties between 36th and 42nd on the blocks just east of 100 where resale might be a different story. The area east of 81 to the parkway also tends to sell for more than the area west of Broadway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul