U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 07:11 AM

14 posts, read 23,901 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband just got a job in Minneapolis and we're looking to move our family from St. Cloud. We have three toddlers. Our price range is around $200K for a house and most of our options have been in the Brooklyn Center area. We keep hearing how dangerous Brooklyn Center is, but we're originally from Nashville and it hasn't seemed that bad to us when we've driven through. We're specifically looking at a house that's slightly Northeast of Robbinsdale, between highway 100 and 94. Any thoughts on the area and if we should be worried about keeping our kids safe? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 08:53 AM

256 posts, read 220,225 times
I don't have much info on Brooklyn Center other than the normal hearsay from people who don't actually live there. But generally speaking, "dangerous" is always relative; if you've lived in actual dangerous places before, I'd imagine the vast majority of even the "bad" areas of the metro look pretty tame by comparison.

Anyway, I'd also suggest that you plunk in some commuting times from various areas to your husband's work into Google Maps around 8 AM and use that as another guide; actual time for morning/evening work commutes doesn't always map nicely onto physical distance. It could be that driving from Brooklyn Center every day might take twice as long as the commute from an equally in-budget home somewhere else, depending on precisely where he's working. Also, if you're working outside the home as well, that will be another variable to consider.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:17 AM

This is by far the most helpful thing I've heard! Thank you so much for taking the time to share! Great tip about the commute, we'll look into that!

Old 08-24-2018, 10:49 AM

368 posts, read 544,113 times
You might be able to find some reasonably priced townhomes around the metro that might be in your budget. Not sure if you've already looked at that.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:49 PM

3,157 posts, read 4,228,870 times
You might also want to check out Columbia Heights and New Brighton. I was told by my brother (who lives in Shoreview) that those areas are less expensive for housing but still feed into the Irondale and Mounds View school systems, which are highly rated.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:17 PM

33 posts, read 22,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
You might also want to check out Columbia Heights and New Brighton. I was told by my brother (who lives in Shoreview) that those areas are less expensive for housing but still feed into the Irondale and Mounds View school systems, which are highly rated.
Columbia Heights, or most of it, feeds into the (get ready for a HUGE SURPRISE): Columbia Heights Public School District, which is abysmal. Most of New Brighton is part of the Mounds View school district (excellent), but part of it also belongs to Saint Anthony school district (also excellent). New Brighton is much more expensive than Columbia heights.

I would highly recommend against buying in Brooklyn Center unless you (1) are willing to roll the dice with open enrollment or (2) have money for private schools. I'd even consider townhouses in good areas over single family homes in Brooklyn Center. I'll probably get chased out by the feel-good PC crowd, but this is advice from someone who went through a similar situation.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:51 AM

468 posts, read 505,934 times
A little south of Brooklyn Center are neighborhoods like Victory and Cleveland. They're on the western edge of the Minneapolis city limit where it butts up against Robbinsdale. The closer to the Robbinsdale side the nicer it is. The closer to Penn the crappier it gets. Pretty nice, relatively quiet neighborhoods that get overlooked because of their proximity to North Minneapolis. It's a bit of a shorter commute and you get a Minneapolis zip code which my wife likes for some reason. We've lived there for a couple of years and like it much more than what we've seen of Brooklyn Center although many parts of BC are very nice and seem pretty safe. Some areas less so. If you give me the address your looking at I could take a drive through this weekend and take a few photos of the immediate area.

In our time here, right on the border of Victory and Cleveland we've seen basic property crimes. Car and garage break ins for the most part. There are a lot of families and my wife feels safe walking alone.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:50 AM

3,157 posts, read 4,228,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMN2BE View Post
Columbia Heights, or most of it, feeds into the (get ready for a HUGE SURPRISE): Columbia Heights Public School District, which is abysmal. Most of New Brighton is part of the Mounds View school district (excellent), but part of it also belongs to Saint Anthony school district (also excellent). New Brighton is much more expensive than Columbia heights.
It is confusing, which is why people need assistance in figuring out the school districts in that area. People from Shoreview attend Mounds View High School. People from New Brighton attend Irondale. Thus, it is valid to ask questions like: from which neighborhoods does Irondale High School draw from? That is a highly rated high school and one worth targetting if it includes less expensive neighborhoods. Looking at the map I can now see that Columbia Heights is south of I-694 whereas Irondale is north of the interstate. Still, open enrollment is a possibility, eh?

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by Teak; 08-25-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-25-2018, 08:21 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,593,058 times
I've not heard that it's dangerous, moreso that it's run down and sketchy. I've only passed through 2 times, and I do agree that the parts I saw looked rundown and sketchy. That's not to say their aren't better parts to the city. But I will say that right or wrong, BC has a negative, poorly received reputation in the metro.

I guess what makes you feel unsafe? Gunshots, graffiti, shady characters walking around, poorly lit areas, etc? I have a very low tolerance for all of those, but you may not. I wouldn't personally live in an area where I didn't feel safe walking the dog at all hours of the day.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:54 AM

Due to the current housing market, most houses in the 200k price range are in BC. There aren't many options in Colombia Heights, and when you look at the crime map there is actually more crime there than in BC. The house we're looking at would be in the Earle Brown school district, which I hear doesn't get great reviews. We're 2 miles away from a high scoring Anoka-Hennepin school and hoping we could do open enrollment. Anyone know howlikely that would be?

I'm also seeing millions are dollars are being used in the next few years to revitalize BC, wondering if it's on its way up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or