Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 02:15 PM

490 posts, read 624,097 times

Advertisements

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076DFL6KH...f-1d474762b736
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 05:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
What about one of those used oil furnaces

Old 10-04-2018, 06:36 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
What you can do depends on what fuel is available. Is natural gas near by where it can easily piped into the garage? Is there 240v electric out there? Portable kerosene & propane heaters have some ventilation requirements for safe use. Use of anything that has a open flame in a garage where cans of gas may be stored has risks. It sounds like you don't want to put any partitions to create a smaller space to heat. My attached garage picks up a little heat from the walls & ceiling that it shares with the house. If it's 10 degrees outside it might be 35 or 40 in the garage. I never measured, It's a wild guess. I'm thinking a cheap electric radiant heater, or two, can make you a little warmer without trying to heat the whole space.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:58 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I'm thinking a cheap electric radiant heater, or two, can make you a little warmer without trying to heat the whole space.

I may just go that route, for this winter at least. We do have natural gas, but I'm not up for running gas lines into the garage this year (we just bought the place last spring and spent all summer doing other projects), and running fueled heaters in the garage would make me nervous.

Thinking about picking up one of those 5000 watt Cadet heaters at Lowes and setting it near my desk, although they do require a 240 volt receptacle and I don't think I have that, either. Poop!

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 10-04-2018 at 07:12 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 07:13 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
What will it feel like at -20? Just don't store any of your brass monkeys out there.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:04 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Hi, posting in MSP forum in hopes of getting more responses. So we bought a house up here in Isanti County last spring, and because I have a wife and 4 kids my man cave is relegated to a corner in my 3 car garage. I have a pretty nice setup out there with my TV, desk, laptop, treadmill, etc., but I have no heater in the garage and was wondering what caliber of such I would need to be able to be out there once winter sets in. These electric heaters I see at Lowes and Home Depot don't seem like they're designed to warm spaces with sub zero temps outside. As you may have deduced by now, I don't know much about this stuff. The garage is insulated, I do know that.

Anyway, if any of you can pass along advice I'd appreciate it. I'd hate to not be able to hang out in my cave all winter. Thanks much.
My main garage is built with 2x6, with 9 foot walls, a little over half of the garage length wise is not insulated, and we keep the car and my truck in there. It (that half) has one large overhead door that lifts up in sections, and it is heavy and insulated.

Years ago, I built when the garage was built, a wall of 2x4, and added a ceiling on the ceiling joists. I added a walk through man door, which can lock on both sides if need be, heavy metal door. The walled off portion of the garage is about 13x24 and is insulated, with the outside walls 2x6, with 9 foot high walls also. This is a complete shop inside of there. IT is also heated, and right now when last checked was at 65 degrees. Right now there is one electric oil filled radiator style heater going set at 4 on low power. When it is colder I set out another heater just like it on the other end of the shop, on a separate circuit. When it is cold like in the -20's and -30's I can keep the shop at above 55 degrees, and even at -20 outsied many times I have the door part way open, mostly to keep the air fresh inside.

So that would work if you walled off a small portion of the garage, perhaps instead of trying to heat the entire space. That is what I did anyway.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:15 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
So that would work if you walled off a small portion of the garage, perhaps instead of trying to heat the entire space. That is what I did anyway.
I wonder if portable partitions would keep heat within a small area? I don't want to wall in the space permanently because when it's nice out I enjoy having the garage doors open so I can see outside and catch the breezes, etc.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I wonder if portable partitions would keep heat within a small area? I don't want to wall in the space permanently because when it's nice out I enjoy having the garage doors open so I can see outside and catch the breezes, etc.
Not sure if portable partitions would work or not, the kind in office buildings? Heat rises, would it not need some sort of ceiling? If you walled off a section, you could add windows with screens, even one on the outside walls, and one or two on the walled section? Maybe. Maybe a larger two section swing type door, similar to a barn door style? Or that may take up too much room, or space.
What about windows?

Old 10-05-2018, 03:24 PM

One other thing to maybe keep in mind, that even if you did get it heated in there, keep in mind that if you shut it off, and turn it back on, shut it off, turn it back on to heat, it may cause condensation to develop, which could be very bad.
Heating up a cold space, let it cool back down, then for instance heat it back up again, not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul