Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 04:31 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times

Advertisements

Hi, posting in MSP forum in hopes of getting more responses. So we bought a house up here in Isanti County last spring, and because I have a wife and 4 kids my man cave is relegated to a corner in my 3 car garage. I have a pretty nice setup out there with my TV, desk, laptop, treadmill, etc., but I have no heater in the garage and was wondering what caliber of such I would need to be able to be out there once winter sets in. These electric heaters I see at Lowes and Home Depot don't seem like they're designed to warm spaces with sub zero temps outside. As you may have deduced by now, I don't know much about this stuff. The garage is insulated, I do know that.

Anyway, if any of you can pass along advice I'd appreciate it. I'd hate to not be able to hang out in my cave all winter. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 05:15 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Is your garage attached and insulated? If not you may need a plan B.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Is your garage attached and insulated? If not you may need a plan B.
Yes on both counts.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
My parents neighbor had a little workshop in a back section he called of a portion and out in a door. They added a smallish gas heater. Tapped into the gas line. It is vented to the outside, similar set up that gas fireplaces have. Also the cement slab generates a lot of cold. Add a layer or two of some carpet with a layer of plastic under that probably would make it more cozy. He didn't run the heater on "room temperature" all the time. Would go out and crank it up a half hour or so before he went out there. He had didn't have any "flooring" since he did woodworking and some small engine work out there.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:30 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Both my brothers and my parents all have heaters in a corner plugged into gas line. Though they all did them when the houses were being built. I don’t know what happens with the water that melts off of their cars and how it doesn’t freeze the door shut? One does have a drain in middle of garage.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:03 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
How permanent is your relocation to the garage?

Izzie1213 (upthread) is right about cement slabs generating a lot of cold ... a LOT of cold.

Throwing a carpet down is nice. Even nicer is you can put down a subfloor of some sort, even an inch off the slab makes a difference.

Has anyone seen or put a radiant heating mat on top of the slab and tile over it for a situation like this? Where I have seen those in place have all been *inside* of a house (with heating) but work every well with ceramic tile and vinyl flooring. For a garage, something like that would be nice if the heating elements are directional (heating the floor above and not the slab below) sos not to cost a fortune to use.

I would think there are some good ideas from fish houses that could be adapted to this.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:05 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
From my day's on the frozen tundra the biggest reality
check was the house insurance

Old 10-04-2018, 10:42 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Honestly, it's probably not worth the effort of heating your garage in the winter as this will waste a lot of energy and cost you a big chunk of money.

I'd consider finishing your basement instead (if it isn't already).

Old 10-04-2018, 12:25 PM

Ok, I need to clarify......this is not any sort of permanent dwelling, it's just a pseudo man cave where I go to escape for a few hours once or twice a week. It's a good spot because even though the garage is attached the 3rd stall is the most removed area from the rest of the house. Our basement is finished, but my 2 teenage boys spend most of their time down there as their rooms are right off that hallway, so not an ideal spot for Dad to get away.

All I want to do is warm the garage to the point I can occasionally sit out there or do a treadmill workout without going into hypothermia. Putting carpet down and things of that nature is not something I really want to do, as all my lawn/yard/snow equipment is right on top of me in that vicinity as well.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:29 PM

45,364 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Both my brothers and my parents all have heaters in a corner plugged into gas line. Though they all did them when the houses were being built. I don’t know what happens with the water that melts off of their cars and how it doesn’t freeze the door shut? One does have a drain in middle of garage.
There's that and also the fact that heating the garage will keep all the salt/deicer on the cars active and eating away on the metal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul