Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

The Newsweek ranking takes into consideration how many kids from the IB program at that school take the SAT, not how well they do on that test, not if they pass, only if they take the test. The Star-Trib did an article on the IB program in the Minneapolis schools a couple months ago, I posted on this board about that article when it came out. The program started the year with 99 students and were down to 45 students by Christmas. That 'ranking' is based on those 45 kids out of thousands, sorry, just not a good ranking at all.

This illustrates the problem with a lot of rankings--what are they looking at? The one ranking I like is the Expansion Magazine one. It is a relocation magazine. It ranks schools on many things, the education level of the community, the funding the schools get, the graduation rates, the test scores and several other things. Since they have no vested interest in the outcome of the results they are very unbiased. Too many ranking simply look at one aspect of school life and don't really give you a clear picture of what the school is really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 AM

501 posts, read 1,945,904 times
Default So frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

This illustrates the problem with a lot of rankings--what are they looking at? The one ranking I like is the Expansion Magazine one. It is a relocation magazine. It ranks schools on many things, the education level of the community, the funding the schools get, the graduation rates, the test scores and several other things. Since they have no vested interest in the outcome of the results they are very unbiased. Too many ranking simply look at one aspect of school life and don't really give you a clear picture of what the school is really like.
That's EXACTLY how I've been feeling when I've looked at rankings. They just don't follow the same guidelines or something cause they all tell you something different and they don't all use appropriate data.

Is that publication available online?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
That's EXACTLY how I've been feeling when I've looked at rankings. They just don't follow the same guidelines or something cause they all tell you something different and they don't all use appropriate data.

Is that publication available online?
Yes, Research Studies: Education Quotient

Old 04-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I tried browsing around (couldn't actually find any type of rating list for schools or areas that you didn't have to pay for, maybe I'll have to look around more).

Old 04-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
Thanks. I tried browsing around (couldn't actually find any type of rating list for schools or areas that you didn't have to pay for, maybe I'll have to look around more).
In the gold box mid page there are a couple stories about metro schools and 2007 Education Quotient. Click on 'read full article' and you will see the states grouped. Click on the one that reads for MN and it will pull up their rankings. Scroll down and you will find their top 20. The Gold rated districts are in the top 17% of the nations districts.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
In the gold box mid page there are a couple stories about metro schools and 2007 Education Quotient. Click on 'read full article' and you will see the states grouped. Click on the one that reads for MN and it will pull up their rankings. Scroll down and you will find their top 20. The Gold rated districts are in the top 17% of the nations districts.
Ah, the one I didn't click on. lol Thank you (I feel dumb).

Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 PM

5 posts, read 28,590 times
golf girl, its time to get off the links and start reading. my kids go to school in minneapolis. anthony middle school is terrific. barton elementary is terrific. check out southwest high school - always ranks as one of the top 200 schools in the entire U.S. by US News and World Report. their chess team just won the national high school chess championship for the third straight time! Washburn HS just sent their robotics team to the national finals. good stuff is happening all over the place

Old 04-05-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camebacknhappy View Post
golf girl, its time to get off the links and start reading. my kids go to school in minneapolis. anthony middle school is terrific. barton elementary is terrific. check out southwest high school - always ranks as one of the top 200 schools in the entire U.S. by US News and World Report. their chess team just won the national high school chess championship for the third straight time! Washburn HS just sent their robotics team to the national finals. good stuff is happening all over the place
That is very nice but there are STILL major issues in the Minneapolis schools and if they are only graduating 67% of their students something is very wrong. Our district graduates 98% of it's students--that is a HUGE difference. Your kids aren't in high school yet. You also have to look at what those rankings are based on--there is a new post to that topic right now.

Again, this has nothing to do with the teachers there and everything to do with the atmosphere, mainly the number of kids in the schools there that just don't want to be there.

I could run down a pages long list of the accomplishments in our district, all ACADEMIC too, starting with our Rhodes Scholar on down and the the Minneapolis schools couldn't come close to comparing.

It is great that the schools have these programs for the kids and they do very well. It is very possible that these programs might even be keeping kids in school that wouldn't otherwise be there, but they still don't speak to the quality of the schools.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
A 7th grader from the Emerson Spanish Immersion Learning Center beat all the suburb kids in the geography bee and is heading to nationals in Washington DC.

MInneapolis 7th-grader knows his way around a globe (http://www.startribune.com/local/17314994.html - broken link)

I'm still not convinced that suburb schools should be given bottom-line superiority to the city schools. You have to accept that both have their strengths and weaknesses and advantages and disadvantages. golfgal brings up some valid points but some of them are pretty unfair considering they aren't on a level playing field with regards to the student sample they are provided with. If I really wanted to be annoying I could find the likelihood of being a student at Rosemount high school and being stabbed to death by using statistics from the 2007-2008 academic year and then compare those statistics to the Minneapolis and St. Paul schools. I'm pretty sure Rosemount would take the cake there.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:21 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
yeah there is also the obvious law of percentages. Easy to brag about how many students your district graduates when it has 400-500 in a graduating class compared to tens of thousands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul