Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,592 times

Advertisements

Everyone asks "what's a good school district", but I really have a sense that except for a few outlyers most districts do a good job of teaching - and the real stress on the school system is from the surrounding community more than money spent or what the educational emphasis is.

If I'm wrong, then please educate me.

If I'm right - then what districts should I avoid buying into, and why is it so avoidable? The only scenerios I can think of are distressed neighborhoods or communities with a lot of fixed-income types that can't afford to fund services, or perhaps areas with a libertarian "I got mine, now you go get yours" attitude to public services.

Last edited by Haver; 04-03-2008 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 PM

501 posts, read 1,946,020 times
Hopefully I'm not just reiterating your point, Haver, I hope you don't mind but I'd like to add to your question.

I've actually been wondering the same thing, primarily cause we're moving and looking for a new district, and I'm noticing that the majority of responses to other threads have been that MN has great schools overall.

It seems to me the "bad apple" districts is a shorter list. But what I struggle with is how some people disregard districts and say it's cause there are better options nearby. Regardless of the better districts nearby I'd like to know specifically which ones would be off limits and why. (If for whatever reason you didn't want to live in X district, which is excellent, but would like the one next door that is great but not excellent, it's misleading to disregard the great one and make it seem worthless.) Or better yet, which districts would be alright providing you live and enroll in ____areas/schools/neighborhoods. <~I'm thinking about Mpls for example. There are fantastic schools in that city and to say the district sucks is an obvious mistake.

Last edited by MNNative; 04-03-2008 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
My short list of schools to avoid in the metro:

St. Paul Public Schools
Minneapolis Public Schools
North St. Paul/Tartan-not very good schools, better choices near-by
Cottage Grove-same as above
Farmington (only because a mile away you have the best schools in the state) ok schools but not great
Anoka-Hennipen--long time financial troubles.
Inver Grove Heights--expensive to live there, not very good schools, right next door to 196 schools
South St Paul--schools are ok, community is not the best

Woodbury I put on the list just because it isn't a town I like, never have. Schools are ok but again, better choices on that side of the cities.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Such a tough topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
My short list of schools to avoid in the metro:

St. Paul Public Schools
Minneapolis Public Schools
North St. Paul/Tartan-not very good schools, better choices near-by
Cottage Grove-same as above
Farmington (only because a mile away you have the best schools in the state) ok schools but not great
Anoka-Hennipen--long time financial troubles.
Inver Grove Heights--expensive to live there, not very good schools, right next door to 196 schools
South St Paul--schools are ok, community is not the best

Woodbury I put on the list just because it isn't a town I like, never have. Schools are ok but again, better choices on that side of the cities.
What makes a school "not very good"? I've always wondered that. I mean really, in general is there a benchmark? I have read different "school ratings" and each one pegs a different school or district at the top based on however they chose to calculate scores or whatever data they're reviewing. So what should be things to look at when you are evaluating schools/districts?

Also, why isn't Osseo on your list? According to the "ratings" they're worse than some of the schools you mentioned.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
send them to public schools in the city. That way they wont take life so seriously and develop ulcers when they get a B in Chemisty and consider suicide because it will "ruin their chances of being successful".

Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Some of the most well adjusted, most open minded and most intellectual people I've come in contact with came up through Minneapolis public schools, mainly South and Southwest. I think the increased diversity can be extremely valuable for exposing someone to different cultures and different styles of thinking. In retrospect I would rather have gone to South than Anoka High School where I graduated in 2000 with a bunch of ignorant racist hicks.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
yeah plus a couple Minneapolis public schools are in the top 5% of the country.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
yeah plus a couple Minneapolis public schools are in the top 5% of the country.
In what ranking????

Old 04-04-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
What makes a school "not very good"? I've always wondered that. I mean really, in general is there a benchmark? I have read different "school ratings" and each one pegs a different school or district at the top based on however they chose to calculate scores or whatever data they're reviewing. So what should be things to look at when you are evaluating schools/districts?

Also, why isn't Osseo on your list? According to the "ratings" they're worse than some of the schools you mentioned.
There are a lot of things that make a school 'not good'. Graduation rates, program offerings, administration, community support, atmosphere in the school, the value the students put on education. While it is difficult to define completely these schools tend to rank among the 'worst' have have for a long time. As far as Osseo not being on the list, not all that familiar with the district. I am sure there are other schools, that is just the list I came up with off the top of my head.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There are a lot of things that make a school 'not good'. Graduation rates, program offerings, administration, community support, atmosphere in the school, the value the students put on education. While it is difficult to define completely these schools tend to rank among the 'worst' have have for a long time. As far as Osseo not being on the list, not all that familiar with the district. I am sure there are other schools, that is just the list I came up with off the top of my head.
I don't mean to single you out.

Thanks for your reply, though.

As for which Mpls schools fall in the top 5%...off the top of my head, Patrick Henry HS (according to Newsweek) and Southwest is 13th in the state for HS's (according to School Digger). There are a few elementary and middle schools who rate well also...can't remember there names (Anthony and Lake Harriet stick in my mind though...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul