Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:05 PM

520 posts, read 772,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
You should be fine anywhere in Minneapolis as a minority. The suburbs are where I'd be wary, however.
My observation has been almost the exact opposite. Minneapolis as a whole is pretty diverse. However, the individual neighborhoods are quite segregated with only a few exceptions like Whittier in South Minneapolis and Victory in North Minneapolis. I'm not suggesting you would encounter racial hostility in these places, just that they are not integrated.

The average white household in the city of Minneapolis is wealthier than the average white household in the metro, while the average black household in the city is poorer than the average black household in the metro. I'm too lazy to look for them now, but you can easily find statistical/demographic data to verify this claim. I assume this reversal of fortunes is related to the lack of diversity in neighborhoods. Other than in very dense urban areas (more Manhattan than Minneapolis) racially/ethnically diverse neighborhoods tend to be pretty economically homogenous.

I am pretty sure that if my spouse/kids/family were black or biracial that we would not live in Minneapolis. Most inner or second ring suburbs have become reasonably to quite diverse in the last couple decades. Perhaps because of greater economic parity, these suburbs appear to have achieved better integration than Minneapolis.

My lily white neighbors here in Minneapolis love to talk about diversity and complain about their privilege. However, the more I hear them go on about that stuff, the more apparent it is that most of them don't have black/latino/hmong friends, colleagues or peers. I honestly wonder if these people are capable of seeing past their labels and talking points enough to interact with their fellow human beings from different backgrounds in an honest and genuine way.

I don't know how these people got this way and I don't think they made Minneapolis the segregated city it is, but despite what I'm sure they think are good intentions, they're not helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 10:33 PM

25,777 posts, read 16,397,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancelace View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a home (less than $275K) near the Eden Prairie area where I currently rent. I know that I won't be able to afford what I really want here but welcome suggestions to neighboring areas that are safe, welcomes diversity, have good schools and is affordable. I'm not familiar with surrounding communities but love the fact that Eden Prairie schools are diverse which is important. Therefore, I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!
For the 100th time, there are NO NEIGHBORHOODS that do not welcome diversity in Minnesota. None. Zero.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 PM

71 posts, read 192,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
For the 100th time, there are NO NEIGHBORHOODS that do not welcome diversity in Minnesota. None. Zero.
There's no need to be impatient or yell. I asked a real question on this forum because I really need some insight considering I'm in the market to buy a home (and I'm a fairly new resident to Minnesota). I am concerned about the safety of my family as would anyone. I have experienced an incident in Eden Prairie our first week here and had to clean up some profanity written on my garage door before my kids woke up to see it. Thankfully, that was only one incident and never had a problem after that first week. I wish your statement was true but it's not.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:51 AM

3,815 posts, read 6,405,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancelace View Post
There's no need to be impatient or yell. I asked a real question on this forum because I really need some insight considering I'm in the market to buy a home (and I'm a fairly new resident to Minnesota). I am concerned about the safety of my family as would anyone. I have experienced an incident in Eden Prairie our first week here and had to clean up some profanity written on my garage door before my kids woke up to see it. Thankfully, that was only one incident and never had a problem after that first week. I wish your statement was true but it's not.
Well if you’re obsesssed with race The Twin Cities are the place for you. I’ve lived in 6 major metros and have never encountered anything like I have here in correlation with racial obsession. Make sure you subscribe to the Star Tribune especially, you’ll get your daily fix of race based fodder in there for sure!

Or you could just plant yourself in the spot you want to be in and say if someone doesn’t like it too bad for them. The days of not feeling “safe” in a neighborhood because of the color of your skin are behind us. Any place you land is going to have those few select idiots you just need to steer clear of. I live in what many consider a “white” area of the state and we have plenty of black neighbors who are living safe, comfortable lives alongside us. Stop living afraid and stake your claim. The people in here who will warn you about suburban living are narcissistic city slickers who think the suburbs are soulless pits holding nightly white power rallies. Not true..... not even close.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,653,929 times
I have to say that as an AA who moved here from Michigan, I was blown away by the friendliness and openness from the white communities I have touched. When we moved into our home all the neighbors stopped by with gifts, provided their phone numbers and one guy took me to his house showed me all the work he did himself and said if I ever needed any tools to come by and get them. My neighbor across the street would come with his snowblower and do my driveway in the winter many times, because he knew I only had a shovel to do our long driveway. In retrospect, I regret pulling my gun on them when they came to my door....lol.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:30 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,900,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I have to say that as an AA who moved here from Michigan, I was blown away by the friendliness and openness from the white communities I have touched. When we moved into our home all the neighbors stopped by with gifts, provided their phone numbers and one guy took me to his house showed me all the work he did himself and said if I ever needed any tools to come by and get them. My neighbor across the street would come with his snowblower and do my driveway in the winter many times, because he knew I only had a shovel to do our long driveway. In retrospect, I regret pulling my gun on them when they came to my door....lol.
well, as long as you didn't shoot them, they probably were OK with it.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:21 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,695,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah but secretly all us white Minnesotans are racists.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:32 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,653,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Yeah but secretly all us white Minnesotans are racists.
Well, obviously that's not true. However, I doubt anyone has ever made such a claim or proclamation about all white Minnesotans. There is no refuting the existence of racism in ANY state. There is also no refuting that not all the white people of ANY state are racist. The truth is somewhere in between, in regards to percentages.

Just because people treat you badly does not mean that they are racist and just because people treat you pleasantly does not mean that they are not. One thing that I am sure of, in these times, is that no one want's to see themselves or have other see them as being racist. It does not matter....a person can be a member of the "skin heads" or Klan and they will not self describe themselves or accept others labeling them as racist. The people who feel negatively concerning another race, particularly concerning blacks, feel they have "justification" or "truth" for what they believe and feel (usually in the form of some statistic) and hence they believe that "truth" is inherently unbiased and therefore cannot be racism when ones beliefs are rationalized by such "truths/statistics".

I find that here in Minnesota people who like and embrace diversity put themselves in the midst of diversity while those who do not like diversity seek to avoid it. The suburb that we moved to was already diverse, by Minnesota standards. I mean, its a suburb you would not move to if you had a problem with diversity. There are racist in Minnesota and non racist in Minnesota, just like any place, just like there is crime everywhere you go, there is racism too, and just as there are different degrees of criminality, there are different degrees of racism. Blacks tend to try to avoid racism like whites tend to try to avoid crime and both use race as a marker. Ergo, blacks tend to think there will be more racism the "whiter" a place is and whites tend to think there will be more crime the "blacker" a place is. Neither is necessarily true.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:05 PM

512 posts, read 469,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
My observation has been almost the exact opposite. Minneapolis as a whole is pretty diverse. However, the individual neighborhoods are quite segregated with only a few exceptions like Whittier in South Minneapolis and Victory in North Minneapolis. I'm not suggesting you would encounter racial hostility in these places, just that they are not integrated.

The average white household in the city of Minneapolis is wealthier than the average white household in the metro, while the average black household in the city is poorer than the average black household in the metro. I'm too lazy to look for them now, but you can easily find statistical/demographic data to verify this claim. I assume this reversal of fortunes is related to the lack of diversity in neighborhoods. Other than in very dense urban areas (more Manhattan than Minneapolis) racially/ethnically diverse neighborhoods tend to be pretty economically homogenous.

I am pretty sure that if my spouse/kids/family were black or biracial that we would not live in Minneapolis. Most inner or second ring suburbs have become reasonably to quite diverse in the last couple decades. Perhaps because of greater economic parity, these suburbs appear to have achieved better integration than Minneapolis.

My lily white neighbors here in Minneapolis love to talk about diversity and complain about their privilege. However, the more I hear them go on about that stuff, the more apparent it is that most of them don't have black/latino/hmong friends, colleagues or peers. I honestly wonder if these people are capable of seeing past their labels and talking points enough to interact with their fellow human beings from different backgrounds in an honest and genuine way.

I don't know how these people got this way and I don't think they made Minneapolis the segregated city it is, but despite what I'm sure they think are good intentions, they're not helping.
They DID NOT make Minneapolis segregated. Racist housing laws half a century ago prevented minorities from moving into certain neighborhoods. U.S. cities had been socially engineered to ensure that segregation would linger years later. Please stop blaming Liberals for something they had little control over years ago.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:11 PM

512 posts, read 469,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. As progressive as Minnesota is, there are some neighborhoods that will not welcome diversity. I have Somali friends who are very well-off and lived in Wayzata, and they stumbled across racist grafitti on their garage door one day after work, which resulting in them moving back into the cities. I think Minnesota is better than many places when it comes to diversity, but I get really sick and tired of Minnesotans acting like a state of more than 5 million people is devoid of close-mindedness. My guess is your whiteness makes you blind to prejudice, but go ahead and attack me even though I happen to be a POC. RACISM EXISTS EVERYWHERE, AND MN IS NO EXCEPTION!

*Braces for attacks from bitter Conservatives*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul