Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:42 PM

225 posts, read 211,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
What defines a priveledged person to you?
Oops, didn't realize that word would be read in a racial context.

I simply meant some people quite actually have to think about both crime and racial attitudes, among other issues, when choosing a neighborhood. Whereas others simply don't. I wish we all didn't, and I arrived in Minnesota thinking that I wouldn't, but I was proven wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I havent brought up race once.

Not a foreign concept to me, but also not something I blame all my problems in life on either.
If this was directed to IA, then okay. It's clear there are back issues between a few commenters here that I'm not privy to. If it was a general statement to commenters in this thread then I don't know where it's coming from. I do think exaggeration and strawmen have been used throughout this discussion as a way to dismiss the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
If this was directed to IA, then okay. It's clear there are back issues between a few commenters here that I'm not privy to. If it was a general statement to commenters in this thread then I don't know where it's coming from. I do think exaggeration and strawmen have been used throughout this discussion as a way to dismiss the topic.
He quoted a specific post so I think his comments can be interpreted as directed to that post or poster. That is why his comments don’t make sense to you as a general statement to everyone in the thread. I don’t think there’s a back story. His remarks make sense in the context of comments made by that poster in this thread.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:25 PM

^Ok.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
If anyone wants to see the ethnicity breakdown by census tract, here’s a good map, although getting slightly dated by this point.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 12-20-2018, 08:47 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
As everyone in the country and that means Minn.Only white male neocons can be raceists.Their for any location there is a white man,there is raceism.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:28 AM

8,331 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Quote:
Some people don't have the privilege of thinking a racist neighborhood is a non-issue. The OP looks like one of those people. You may not be one of them.

Really? Which "privileged" people can go into any racist neighborhood where they are guaranteed they won't be treated poorly because of their race.

There is no one from any race that is guaranteed they won't be discriminated against or worse. I suggested that crime rates was more important. You can move into many neighborhoods of your own race where violent crime rates are 10 times worse than the national average.

I'm moving. My research included race and crime. I'm not moving to any neighborhood with a high violent crime rate no matter the race or how accepting they are of mine.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:03 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
As everyone in the country and that means Minn.Only white male neocons can be raceists.Their for any location there is a white man,there is raceism.
Huh?

Neocons?

Neoconservatism is almost entirely concerned with foreign policy (primarily) and macroeconomics (secondarily). Where, pray tell, does neighborhood racism fit in there? If you're going to pathetically flail away at a strawman, at least try and make the strawman somewhat relevant to the issue you're trying to pretend isn't real.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Really? Which "privileged" people can go into any racist neighborhood where they are guaranteed they won't be treated poorly because of their race.
You tell me.

You're the one who suggested that the OP not consider racism in their assessment of neighborhoods.

Quote:
You can move into many neighborhoods of your own race where violent crime rates are 10 times worse than the national average.
"[My] own race?" Violent crime rates...let it all out, please. Let us know how you feel about that. Haha.

Honestly, at this point this thread is entertaining. Sad, but entertaining.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:48 PM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
I'm moving. My research included race and crime. I'm not moving to any neighborhood with a high violent crime rate no matter the race or how accepting they are of mine.
Are you moving here????

Quote:
You tell me.

You're the one who suggested that the OP not consider racism in their assessment of neighborhoods.

"[My] own race?" Violent crime rates...let it all out, please. Let us know how you feel about that. Haha.

Honestly, at this point this thread is entertaining. Sad, but entertaining.

IKR, LeonaValley doesn’t even live here in the Twin Cities, this poster is from California

Old 12-23-2018, 09:57 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post

IKR, LeonaValley doesn’t even live here in the Twin Cities, this poster is from California
Check LeonaValley’s posts ... not a Twin Citian, perhaps has never visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul